Quinine Is A Serotonin Antagonist And Inhibits Serotonin Synthesis

Anybody knows if 7UP has quinine? People in my country, even the old folks, have used it and recommended it for stomach relief. I tried it in the past and it surprisingly worked every single time!

If your country is America, then no...no quinine. I don't know about any other countries. But the reason it helps with stomach aches is cause the carbonation promotes burping and relief for the tummy. The label will tell you if there is quinine in it.

meatbag

Anybody knows if 7UP has quinine? People in my country, even the old folks, have used it and recommended it for stomach relief. I tried it in the past and it surprisingly worked every single time!

I checked this out because my grandparents used to give it to me when i was sick as well. Turns out it originally contained lithium!

When it was initially released, the lemon-lime soda that we know as 7-Up was clumsily called Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda. “Bib-Label” referred to the paper labels on the bottle, and “Lemon-Lime Soda” obviously referred to the flavor. The “Lithiated” bit, of course, refers to the lithium citrate that inventor C.L. Grigg hoped would make the drink seem more healthy. The drink was also marketed as “slenderizing,” which is ironic because weight gain is now a known side effect of lithium.

Also interesting is how popular lithium used to be

Lithium has been known for its curative powers for centuries, if not millenniums. Lithia Springs, Ga., for example, with its natural lithium-enriched water, appears to have been an ancient Native American sacred site. By the late 19th century Lithia Springs was a famous health destination visited by Mark Twain and Presidents Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.

They stopped putting it it in 1948 though :(
7-Up used to contain lithium

lindsay

I suspect that even drinking tonic water may have some effects on tryptophan absorption since it does result in micromolar concentrations of quinine.
Oh goodie! I knew there was a reason I liked tonic water :)

Richiebogie

Pubmed mentions several examples of complications from quinine, and that often patients do not consider informing their doctors or dentists that they are taking it:

"Quinine associated blindness.
Review article
Townend BS, et al. Aust Fam Physician. 2004.
Show full citation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Quinine is commonly prescribed to the elderly for the treatment of benign nocturnal cramps, yet its use is not without complications.

OBJECTIVE: This article presents a case of quinine toxicity producing bilateral blindness, followed by a review of the adverse reactions associated with quinine use and its efficacy in treating benign nocturnal muscular cramps.

DISCUSSION: Visual loss has been associated with quinine serum concentrations above 10 microg/mL (therapeutic range 2-5 microg/mL). Other adverse reactions include neurological symptoms, haemolysis, acute renal failure and arrhythmia. There is conflicting evidence for the efficacy of quinine for leg cramps in randomised controlled studies, however, meta-analysis of these studies suggests some benefit. Although severe side effects are rare at therapeutic doses, the possibility of overdose needs to be considered when prescribing and an individual risk benefit analysis needs to be made. Benefits and adverse reactions should be closely monitored and medication ceased if appropriate."

Last edited:

tara

benign nocturnal cramps
:confused2I never had a nocturnal cramp that I thought was benign. Do they mean 'not-likely-to-kill-you-tonight-unless-the-pain-drives-you-to-it' cramps?'

jaakkima

The only quinine powder I can find is the cinchona bark powder that some websites sell to make your own tonic water. It looks like you are supposed to heat and then strain the powder before drinking it. Do you think you could just place a little bit of the powder into coke and drink it? Or do you know of a place/site where you can buy quinine powder that doesn't have to be dissolved in water? Thanks.

I was interested in trying a supplement form of quinine and I found the same, just cinchona bark. I would gladly use cinchona bark but for certain reasons of a medication I am using, I am avoiding salicylic acid of which cinchona bark is a prominent source. Hrmmmm.

M

marikay

I was interested in trying a supplement form of quinine and I found the same, just cinchona bark. I would gladly use cinchona bark but for certain reasons of a medication I am using, I am avoiding salicylic acid of which cinchona bark is a prominent source. Hrmmmm.

Thanks for this. I didn't realize the connection between salicylic acid and cinchona bark. Interesting...

tankasnowgod

Whole Foods in USA sells several brands that seem clean, but they tend to be quite pricey - $7 for 4 tiny bottles. Other than that you can get quinine powder and add to whatever carbonated drink you want. I am thinking it would go well with Coke. Maybe.

Trader Joe's has their own brand of Tonic made with cane sugar, and it's about four dollars for a six pack of 8 oz cans.

Could it be that Gin and Tonic is a 1-2 punch against serotonin and endotoxin?

Tarmander

I have been taking tonic water everyday for the last couple weeks, about 17oz or so. I have noticed weight loss despite adding in more fat in my diet, along with really great sleep. I am totally hooked on it, and it seems pretty safe.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Trader Joe's has their own brand of Tonic made with cane sugar, and it's about four dollars for a six pack of 8 oz cans.

The tonic water would be a one-two punch, yes. But not the ethanol, since it is an agonist of the TLR4 (endotoxin) receptor. But used occasionally and enjoyed properly it is probably not that big of a harm. Enjoying something intensely can trigger enough dopamine release to protect from the side effects (sometimes). Dopamine is a serotonin and endotoxin antagonist, so it should negate ethanol's effects to a degree.

dfspcc20

Would the citric acid in tonic water be an issue if consumed regularly? I can't find a brand w/o it.

yerrag

I had gin and tonic with juniper berries two weeks ago. I went home and took my bp, as a habit, and did I see my blood pressure drop. That's when I took an interest to gin and tonic, and looked more into it. If it does something against endotoxin, it must be the quinone in the tonic water. And maybe the juniper berry and the gin (made from juniper berries) helps also as it contains pinenes, although I don't know exactly in what way. The gin is a good brand, Tanqueray, so being aged in oak barrels also helps I suppose as it would impart some tannins and phenols.

Although I didn't get into gin and tonic therapy yet (I have to make my own tonic water, to get enough quinone, and I had no luck finding cinchona bark locally), I tried connecting some dots and came to appreciate why Ray Peat endorses the use of antibiotics, but not just any antibiotic, but those of the tetracycline class. This made me read once again Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse. , and this quote is relevant:

Anthraquinones, because of the presence of several oxygen molecules, had low electron densities and were stable. The tetracyclines, with related structure, have some similar properties, and are antiinflammatory, as well as antibiotic.

So, instead of gin and tonic, I'm going to start low dose doxycycline therapy, at about 2x20mg daily. I went to my nearest vet and bought Doxyvet syrup, which is conveniently 10mg/ml. Most prescription doxycycline is 100mg/capsule or tablet, and it's inconvenient to have to cut it smaller. The only prescription doxy that comes in 20mg is Periostat, and it's specifically made for dentists for dealing with periodontal issues.

I'll still have to try gin and tonic therapy when I can get my ingredients together though. Besides, it is a good excuse to drink. And I hope to drink my way to lowering my blood pressure, unless low dose doxycyline therapy beats it to the punch.

I just had a glass of tonic water and definitely notice it's doing something right away! Not sure what mechanism or how it's affecting me, but I definitely attribute some changes to simply drinking tonic water in reasonably low doses. It kind of makes me have a flat and/or numbing/calming mood immediately, but then tapers off to normal/so-so, obviously depending on factors outside of just serotonin synthesis. I don't know what this means from either the scope of bioenergetics/chemistry lower level understanding or all the way to emotional states on a higher level, but I definitely would think it's something others can try temporarily in a simple tonic water form (like 1-2 cups a day for a few days maybe) and see if you notice any effects. It's obviously not magic powers or anything, but I think it definitely does affect serotonin in a beneficial way that might make it useful to consider/have every now and then in small amounts to see/compare/take notes of it.

I know for some serotonin can a social blockade in ways -- so it's probably possible you can try drinking quinine if suspecting that serotonin activity is deterring you from socializing for specific purposes rather than taking alcohol or such, which is probably counterintuitive for the very purpose one might use it for in the longer run. I'm convinced somewhat that anxiety problems are just symptoms of a weak metabolism, poor diet, serotonin and/or psychological trauma/stresses (which are serotonin-associated anyways). In summary I'm pretty certain that tonic water alone can even be beneficial as per the thread title/use purposes somewhat.

I should also add that this isn't the first time I've had it though -- and I just drank some with out much eating yet today.

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Chloroquinine, closely related to quinine was reported to be „maybe“ effective against Corona virus

Elize

Will quinones trigger or release histamine. Does Haidut have a product?

Waynish

Apparently Andrew Cuomo was taking quinine while ripping on Trump for recommending hydroxychloroquine.

Elize

The difference is that hydroxychloroquine is commonly used by many in South Africa and Asia as an antimalarial drug in conjunction with other meds depending on other issues one may have. Quinine is used many other ways. Having lived in. Swaziland and South Africa often used the antimalarial before travel to Mozambique and others

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals