Pyridoxine causing sexual anhedonia?

Snarf

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated please guys. I started to suffer from pleasureless orgasms a couple of months ago as well as general anhedonia. What makes this a bit more complicated is the fact that i am suffering from a mildish case of post accutane syndrome (low libido), so at first i just put it down to another side effect from the accutane.

I took the accutane 4 years ago and in all that time have not suffered from pleasureless orgasms up until recently so i am ruling out accutane as the cause.

Now apparently pyridoxine toxicity does cause pleasureless orgasms and i have been taking it for the last two years. I take 50 ish mg give or take of pure pyridoxine powder every night on an empty stomach before i go to bed, apparently this is not enough to cause toxicity but i cant help but think this must have something to do with it. Accutane affects serotonin receptors and dopamine i think so maybe this has left me vulnerable? What do you think?

Daniil

I think, the reason is here

you should not take more than 10mg of B6 P5P per day.

I believe that B12 can help reverse the issues from it which include peripheral neuropathy.

OP
S

Snarf

Thanks for the input guys. I had no idea this sort of thing could happen from taking a vitamin b supplement. I would advise anyone taking pyridoxine hcl to be very careful. I didnt even consider the dose i was taking to be particularly high but apparently “complaints of B6 supplementation occur after doses as low as 0.5 mg/day.”

Just praying I havent done any permanent damage, pas has been bad enough to deal with the last few years, permanent sexual anhedonia would be the ******* worst.

Dr. B

you should not take more than 10mg of B6 P5P per day.

I believe that B12 can help reverse the issues from it which include peripheral neuropathy.
I think, the reason is here
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated please guys. I started to suffer from pleasureless orgasms a couple of months ago as well as general anhedonia. What makes this a bit more complicated is the fact that i am suffering from a mildish case of post accutane syndrome (low libido), so at first i just put it down to another side effect from the accutane.

I took the accutane 4 years ago and in all that time have not suffered from pleasureless orgasms up until recently so i am ruling out accutane as the cause.

Now apparently pyridoxine toxicity does cause pleasureless orgasms and i have been taking it for the last two years. I take 50 ish mg give or take of pure pyridoxine powder every night on an empty stomach before i go to bed, apparently this is not enough to cause toxicity but i cant help but think this must have something to do with it. Accutane affects serotonin receptors and dopamine i think so maybe this has left me vulnerable? What do you think?

i thought others on here posted that only Pyridoxine has the prolactin lowering effect? @Hans any thoughts on p5p and pyridoxine
what are your guys thoughts on using 3.5mg pyridoxine HCL, every other day?
50mg daily is definitely a large dose for both pyridoxine or p5p

i get a small amount b6 pyridoxine from the zma I use. and I was using it because of the small amounts of additional zinc and b6. the b6 is hard to find in foods, apparently pasteurizing reduces it too.

redsun

Pyridoxine does inhibit P5P function. Thus you can expect low dopamine, histamine by taking too much pyridoxine which will cause sexual problems. You should only take Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate form. You will not get this problem from it.

Dr. B

Pyridoxine does inhibit P5P function. Thus you can expect low dopamine, histamine by taking too much pyridoxine which will cause sexual problems. You should only take Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate form. You will not get this problem from it.
so pyrixodine even in the low doses, will basically be depleting vitamin b6 and causing low histamine and dopamine?

OP
S

Snarf

Update.

I stopped taking pyridoxine about 10 days ago and I can now feel orgasms again. That was a scary experience. The anhedonia that I was suffering with has also cleared so I presume it was low dopamine related?

After reading that problems can occur on doses as low as 0.5mg/day, I certainly wont be touching the stuff again.

Dr. B

Update.

I stopped taking pyridoxine about 10 days ago and I can now feel orgasms again. That was a scary experience. The anhedonia that I was suffering with has also cleared so I presume it was low dopamine related?

After reading that problems can occur on doses as low as 0.5mg/day, I certainly wont be touching the stuff again.

i wonder if there are also currently unknown side effects to supplementing zinc/magnesium? i used to use zma for a long time and it was relatively low dose compared to what you see online. just 10mg zinc, 150mg magnesium and 3.5mg b6 every day, later changed to every other day. magnesium is considered especially important for vitamin d supplementation. not sure if i should continue with the zma, i was using it 3x a week for some extra nutrients.

OP
S

Snarf

i wonder if there are also currently unknown side effects to supplementing zinc/magnesium? i used to use zma for a long time and it was relatively low dose compared to what you see online. just 10mg zinc, 150mg magnesium and 3.5mg b6 every day, later changed to every other day. magnesium is considered especially important for vitamin d supplementation. not sure if i should continue with the zma, i was using it 3x a week for some extra nutrients.
I also used zma for a long time as well but started buying the zinc, magnesium and pyridoxine separately a couple of years ago as it works out so much cheaper.

Since getting sexual anhedonia, Ive also dropped zinc as well as the b6. I keep reading about the 5-ar inhibiting properties of it so for the moment I’ll leave it alone. Im still taking magnesium though, but just a much smaller dose than before.

Dr. B

I also used zma for a long time as well but started buying the zinc, magnesium and pyridoxine separately a couple of years ago as it works out so much cheaper.

Since getting sexual anhedonia, Ive also dropped zinc as well as the b6. I keep reading about the 5-ar inhibiting properties of it so for the moment I’ll leave it alone. Im still taking magnesium though, but just a much smaller dose than before.

which are you referring to as 5 ar inhibiting?
i think even on wikipedia and other places, zinc is unique in that its a 5ar inhibitor as well as an aromatase inhibitor... seems one of the few substances that does both. with pyridoxine b6 i heard it has prolactin lowering effects. i think magnesium has pro 5ar effects also
which forms do you use for the vitamins? zma seems to be cheaper frm what ive seen, especially the problem is if you look at b6 supplements theyre in huge doses per capsule. whereas something like nutrabios zma is $25 for 180 capsules, each capsule has 10mg zinc, 3.5mg b6 and 150mg magnesium. so the doses are perfect and low enough. but if youre buying the powder forms and scooping out powder of each that probably works out cheapest. capsules are usually more expensive due to labor involved

OP
S

Snarf

which are you referring to as 5 ar inhibiting?
i think even on wikipedia and other places, zinc is unique in that its a 5ar inhibitor as well as an aromatase inhibitor... seems one of the few substances that does both. with pyridoxine b6 i heard it has prolactin lowering effects. i think magnesium has pro 5ar effects also
which forms do you use for the vitamins? zma seems to be cheaper frm what ive seen, especially the problem is if you look at b6 supplements theyre in huge doses per capsule. whereas something like nutrabios zma is $25 for 180 capsules, each capsule has 10mg zinc, 3.5mg b6 and 150mg magnesium. so the doses are perfect and low enough. but if youre buying the powder forms and scooping out powder of each that probably works out cheapest. capsules are usually more expensive due to labor involved

I was referring to zinc. Im dealing with post accutane syndrome at the moment so I think its probably unwise to mess around with anything else that inhibits 5-ar. I wasnt aware that magnesium has pro 5-ar effects, thats interesting, ill have read up on that.

I was taking solgar zinc picolinate, but started buying pyridoxine and magnesium citrate as powders. I was taking 22mg zinc, 50ish mg b6 and about 300mg of magnesium on an empty stomach before bed. Im just taking about 50mg of mag before bed now. I might up the dose of mag again although I do find it really hard to get up in the morning on higher doses.

Dr. B

I was referring to zinc. Im dealing with post accutane syndrome at the moment so I think its probably unwise to mess around with anything else that inhibits 5-ar. I wasnt aware that magnesium has pro 5-ar effects, thats interesting, ill have read up on that.

I was taking solgar zinc picolinate, but started buying pyridoxine and magnesium citrate as powders. I was taking 22mg zinc, 50ish mg b6 and about 300mg of magnesium on an empty stomach before bed. Im just taking about 50mg of mag before bed now. I might up the dose of mag again although I do find it really hard to get up in the morning on higher doses.

it may be because of magnesiusm general health benefits it boosts it.
i heard zinc picolinate and magnesium citrate are both dangerous carcinogenic forms. the zma will give zinc mono methionine and aspartate and magnesium aspartate. also that b6 dosage is huge.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals