Post accutane small bone structure

Hello all. I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice for dealing with the possible effects of accutane use for acne during puberty (age 16-17) has had on my body in terms of bone structure and musculature. I took accutane starting from 20 mg at age 16 going up to 80 mg a day by the time my acne cleared up, although I don’t recall if these were the exact dosages and at what rate of increasing dosage I followed.

I’ve observed that at the age of 25 the bone structure of my lower body is very thick, thick knees ankles and legs overall with muscle mass, big calves, and I am relatvely strong and muscular in my lower body and lifts like squats and power cleans are easy for me. My foot size is 12 with a wide foot. However the bone structure and muscle mass of my upper body is poor especially in bench press and any other upper body lift. On the other hand my wrists, hands and fingers are all small and thin, 6.5” hands, 6” wrists and pretty thin fingers, almost resembling a child’s hands. My clavicles are also somewhat average and my elbow circumference is also small as well as my arm muscles being smallMy upper body lifts are also poor as a result. For reference I am 5’10” 210 lb 20% body fat. I think this is due to use of accutane during my development as accutane has been shown to lower testosterone and IGF-1 which likely stunted my growth. Interestingly my current total testosterone is 730 ng/dL and free test is high and I have great libido and mood most of the time, I just cannot build much muscle mass in my upper body.

My questions are there any supplements, foods, or steroids/drugs that can be administered to improve my bone structure overall, more so upper body bone structure? Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:

GelatinGoblin

Makes sense, the main mechanism of Accutane is probably the extreme lowering of IGF-1. Why would they prescribe it to children and teens is beyond me
Increasing Thyroid, Gonasteroids like Prog maybe DHEA stuff like that (i don't know much about this), High Metabolism with High Calories, Vitamin K2 MK-4, good Calcium intake to lower PTH, sun exposure... The usual stuff

redsun

Hello all. I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice for dealing with the possible effects of accutane use for acne during puberty (age 16-17) has had on my body in terms of bone structure and musculature. I took accutane starting from 20 mg at age 16 going up to 80 mg a day by the time my acne cleared up, although I don’t recall if these were the exact dosages and at what rate of increasing dosage I followed.

I’ve observed that at the age of 25 the bone structure of my lower body is very thick, thick knees ankles and legs overall with muscle mass, big calves, and I am relatvely strong and muscular in my lower body and lifts like squats and power cleans are easy for me. My foot size is 12 with a wide foot. However the bone structure and muscle mass of my upper body is poor especially in bench press and any other upper body lift. On the other hand my wrists, hands and fingers are all small and thin, 6.5” hands, 6” wrists and pretty thin fingers, almost resembling a child’s hands. My clavicles are also somewhat average and my elbow circumference is also small as well as my arm muscles being smallMy upper body lifts are also poor as a result. For reference I am 5’10” 210 lb 20% body fat. I think this is due to use of accutane during my development as accutane has been shown to lower testosterone and IGF-1 which likely stunted my growth. Interestingly my current total testosterone is 730 ng/dL and free test is high and I have great libido and mood most of the time, I just cannot build much muscle mass in my upper body.

My questions are there any supplements, foods, or steroids/drugs that can be administered to improve my bone structure overall, more so upper body bone structure? Thanks all for the help.

You don't have a bone structure problem. There is no such condition where the lower body's bones are thicker then the upper body they grow proportionally. You definitely train legs and lower body too much thus you look like the way you do. And your bodyfat is too high which makes it appear a million times worse. Put intense focus and more time and effort on the upper body and way less on the lower body so you can even it out.

cupofcoffee

i agree with what @redsun said. I think you should stop worrying about your bone structure especially because you're unlikely to change It by a significant extent at 25 and worrying about It will only make you more insecure, worsening the situation. If you want to try your luck anyway, try increasing DHT (check men-elite.com article about It ) and IGF-1.

Cooper

Hi, did you grow in height after Accutane and did you ever measure your IGF- 1 levels? Thanks. I took Accutane and my IGF-1 was kinda low for a 19 year old. 170ng\mL but i don't know if it was due to no exercise, mild depression and strict alcohol consumption at every weekends since the age of 16.

However at 21, my IGF-1 is around 212 and i suppose it must be higher now with my lifestyle changes. And that number is the exact median rage for 21-25 interval.

redsun

Hi, did you grow in height after Accutane and did you ever measure your IGF- 1 levels? Thanks. I took Accutane and my IGF-1 was kinda low for a 19 year old. 170ng\mL but i don't know if it was due to no exercise, mild depression and strict alcohol consumption at every weekends since the age of 16.

However at 21, my IGF-1 is around 212 and i suppose it must be higher now with my lifestyle changes. And that number is the exact median rage for 21-25 interval.
Alcohol depletes several micronutrients. Zinc which is absolutely required for insulin and IGF-1 function, and growth of tissues and bones in general, is also depleted by alcohol.

Cooper

, and growth of tissues and bones in general, is also depleted by alcohol.
Can you please elaborate more on this? So weekly consumption of alcohol starting at 16, may have damaged my genetic potential? How about facial bone structure and height? Just because i drank every weekend like most of people do these days, i ended up with less than my genetic development?

I found out very late that IGF-1 is produced in the liver. Damn.

IDK if i could count myself as ''chronic consumer.'' The study below is done on real alcoholics, i was just drinking on weekends. Those effects on bone seem unrelated to IGF-1 and more direct.

Attachments

• 190.pdf
    168.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

redsun

Can you please elaborate more on this? So weekly consumption of alcohol starting at 16, may have damaged my genetic potential? How about facial bone structure and height? Just because i drank every weekend like most of people do these days, i ended up with less than my genetic development?

I found out very late that IGF-1 is produced in the liver. Damn.

Yes it easily could have hampered your maximal growth. The bone structure itself in the face is not necessarily affected unless you are really depleted but overall bone growth (height) would be. Drinking alcohol is one of the worst things for teens in the prime years where height can be gained. One indirect (not just through loss of nutrients) way alcohol could make you grow less is by raising estrogen which makes your growth plates fuse quicker.

Cooper

Yes it easily could have hampered your maximal growth. The bone structure itself in the face is not necessarily affected unless you are really depleted but overall bone growth (height) would be. Drinking alcohol is one of the worst things for teens in the prime years where height can be gained. One indirect (not just through loss of nutrients) way alcohol could make you grow less is by raising estrogen which makes your growth plates fuse quicker.
I am not sure people usually just grow an inch after the age of 16, and i did grow an inch and maybe half since then... A tad taller than my dad. At 16 i was an inch shorther than my dad.

Idk if i was suppose to be 182- 3 instead of 179.5. I wasn't a late bloomer so i don't think i supposed to grow 2 inches after the age of 16, which would be odd regarding science and average growth rates of height by age from the studies...

But really, don't you had people from your time drinkin every weekend non stop, around highscool? I thought it is a bit common for these generations. And can you please expand on how alcohol may have damaged my height and why not facial structure? At 19 my IGF-1 was 170, but now it must be around 230.

redsun

I am not sure people usually just grow an inch after the age of 16, and i did grow an inch and maybe half since then... A tad taller than my dad. At 16 i was an inch shorther than my dad.

Idk if i was suppose to be 182- 3 instead of 179.5. I wasn't a late bloomer so i don't think i supposed to grow 2 inches after the age of 16, which would be odd regarding science and average growth rates of height by age from the studies...

But really, don't you had people from your time drinkin every weekend non stop, around highscool? I thought it is a bit common for these generations. And can you please expand on how alcohol may have damaged my height and why not facial structure? At 19 my IGF-1 was 170, but now it must be around 230.
How common it is for youth to drink regularly is probably dependent on economic status, local culture. Definitely wasnt common in my experience. Males have more potential to grow when their older, into their early 20s since they have less estrogen (at least ideally they would). But if you don't and your estrogen spikes often due to poor diet, bad habits (alcohol, drugs), bad sleep and lack of sleep, deficiencies, excess physical, mental, and emotional stress, then this doesn't apply.

Its not going to affect facial structure as much because that is dependent on tongue posture and breathing habits (nose vs mouth breathing).

Cooper

How common it is for youth to drink regularly is probably dependent on economic status, local culture. Definitely wasnt common in my experience. Males have more potential to grow when their older, into their early 20s since they have less estrogen (at least ideally they would). But if you don't and your estrogen spikes often due to poor diet, bad habits (alcohol, drugs), bad sleep and lack of sleep, deficiencies, excess physical, mental, and emotional stress, then this doesn't apply.

Its not going to affect facial structure as much because that is dependent on tongue posture and breathing habits (nose vs mouth breathing).
But IGF- also important for bones in general, so facial bones included? But yeah, i don't think it affected my cheekbone development or jaw size and whatnot.

My E2 was 30 pg\mL so 5+ more than the ideal 25 for a male. I don't think there is much of people out there who grew 2 inches after the age of 16? It is usually around an inch after 16.

How was yours like? How much you grew after 16? And do you have any IGF- 1 bloodwork done before?

If you open the PDF study below you can see the height increase till the age of 19 here. Let's assume 1- 2 cm of more slowed down growth until plates fuse after 19 years of age. See the blue chart below at page 3- 4.

Assuming i was around 175 when i was 16, i may have lost only 1cm of height due to alcohol or something so i could be 180.5 instead of 179.5. Because i don't think once can grow more then 5.5 cm after the age of 16, sounds unlikely.

Attachments

• 367_Tomova_A_et_al_Growth_and_Development_of_Male_External_Genitalia.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

redsun

But IGF- also important for bones in general, so facial bones included? But yeah, i don't think it affected my cheekbone development or jaw size and whatnot.

My E2 was 30 pg\mL so 5+ more than the ideal 25 for a male. I don't think there is much of people out there who grew 2 inches after the age of 16? It is usually around an inch after 16.

How was yours like? How much you grew after 16? And do you have any IGF- 1 bloodwork done before?

If you open the PDF study below you can see the height increase till the age of 19 here. Let's assume 1- 2 cm of more slowed down growth until plates fuse after 19 years of age. See the blue chart below at page 3- 4.

Assuming i was around 175 when i was 16, i may have lost only 1cm of height due to alcohol or something so i could be 180.5 instead of 179.5. Because i don't think once can grow more then 5.5 cm after the age of 16, sounds unlikely.

If your E2 was 5x higher than normal as a teenager that would negatively affect maximum height. I grew about 2.5 inches after 16. Its really getting more common for men to end up shorter nowadays because diet and lifestyle is getting on average much worse.

Cooper

If your E2 was 5x higher than normal as a teenager that would negatively affect maximum height. I grew about 2.5 inches after 16. Its really getting more common for men to end up shorter nowadays because diet and lifestyle is getting on average much worse.
2.5 inches after 16? Are you really sure man? That makes 6.35cm. Were you a late bloomer? I never heard nor saw that much of growth in my life.

And did you measure correctly?

redsun

2.5 inches after 16? Are you really sure man? That makes 6.35cm. Were you a late bloomer? I never heard nor saw that much of growth in my life.

And did you measure correctly?
It was also around 15 I starting eating a very calcium rich, animal protein rich diet. I also supplemented zinc regularly as well. Lots of aged cheese (K2), milk every meal, salami, chicken, steak, eggs etc... It was low carb but I was bad at controlling my sugar intake so I regularly consumed sugary foods.

Probably if I didnt make such a sudden change consuming a diet very high in calcium, K2, protein, and overall nutrient dense diet I would not have grown considerably. I was interested at the time to maximize height as before 15 I was also bouncing around on different diets and when I wasnt I ate typically like the average teenager, lots of junk food.

TheSir

Of the things I regret the most, Accutane is pretty high up there. I didn't grow a single centimeter after starting it at the age of 14, stalling permanently at three inches below my father's height and 5 inches below my predicted height. Jaw and wrists remain pretty small. God knows what else it sabotaged about my development, as IGF-1 is a major player in brain&nerve growth too.

redsun

Of the things I regret the most, Accutane is pretty high up there. I didn't grow a single centimeter after starting it at the age of 14, stalling permanently at three inches below my father's height and 5 inches below my predicted height. Jaw and wrists remain pretty small. God knows what else it sabotaged about my development, as IGF-1 is a major player in brain&nerve growth too.
How did you administer accutane? Orally or topically?

Kram

Orally. Unfortunately I don't remember the dosage. The treatment consisted of three periods within a span of two years.
Same boat. Pretty much wrecked my life tbh. Acne wasn't even that bad. It drives me insane every single day.

Cooper

Same boat. Pretty much wrecked my life tbh. Acne wasn't even that bad. It drives me insane every single day.
Do you guys both have Post Accutane Syndrome? Or just didn't grew after Accutane. I thought early epipehyseal bone closure was a rare side effect on high doses?

I have PAS since 16, my prostate's genetic makeup has been changed by this poison. My body does not respond to androgens.

Cooper

This is interesting, i thought that side effect should be rare seen. Well, my disease is much more rare than your issue though.

Did you have any sexual symtpoms related to Accutane? Did you ever measure your IGF- 1 levels? Testosterone levels?

How can you say that your ''jaw is small, wrists are thin.'' What you mean by ''small jaw''? I mean if you are short, the size of your skeleteal structure grow according to that, no short guy has a huge skull with a big jaw. Growth must be proportional.

But, even if Accutane did stunt your growth, your clavicle bone and your skull and your chest must have continued to grow. Did you compare your chest size and shoulder span with your dad? Maybe you just got your genes from motherside?

I took Accutane only for 3 DAYS. And it damaged my prostate, lowered semen volume, i quit and the things got worse over the years, to this day i have no idea if it affected my development, height, bone growth overall and the other things you might worry about.

I grew after Tane though as you can read above. Btw, why do you think you have IGF-1 issues, do you think Tane permanently damaged your IGF-1?