Post accutane small bone structure

Hello all. I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice for dealing with the possible effects of accutane use for acne during puberty (age 16-17) has had on my body in terms of bone structure and musculature. I took accutane starting from 20 mg at age 16 going up to 80 mg a day by the time my acne cleared up, although I don’t recall if these were the exact dosages and at what rate of increasing dosage I followed.

I’ve observed that at the age of 25 the bone structure of my lower body is very thick, thick knees ankles and legs overall with muscle mass, big calves, and I am relatvely strong and muscular in my lower body and lifts like squats and power cleans are easy for me. My foot size is 12 with a wide foot. However the bone structure and muscle mass of my upper body is poor especially in bench press and any other upper body lift. On the other hand my wrists, hands and fingers are all small and thin, 6.5” hands, 6” wrists and pretty thin fingers, almost resembling a child’s hands. My clavicles are also somewhat average and my elbow circumference is also small as well as my arm muscles being smallMy upper body lifts are also poor as a result. For reference I am 5’10” 210 lb 20% body fat. I think this is due to use of accutane during my development as accutane has been shown to lower testosterone and IGF-1 which likely stunted my growth. Interestingly my current total testosterone is 730 ng/dL and free test is high and I have great libido and mood most of the time, I just cannot build much muscle mass in my upper body.

My questions are there any supplements, foods, or steroids/drugs that can be administered to improve my bone structure overall, more so upper body bone structure? Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:

GelatinGoblin

Makes sense, the main mechanism of Accutane is probably the extreme lowering of IGF-1. Why would they prescribe it to children and teens is beyond me
Increasing Thyroid, Gonasteroids like Prog maybe DHEA stuff like that (i don't know much about this), High Metabolism with High Calories, Vitamin K2 MK-4, good Calcium intake to lower PTH, sun exposure... The usual stuff

redsun

Hello all. I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice for dealing with the possible effects of accutane use for acne during puberty (age 16-17) has had on my body in terms of bone structure and musculature. I took accutane starting from 20 mg at age 16 going up to 80 mg a day by the time my acne cleared up, although I don’t recall if these were the exact dosages and at what rate of increasing dosage I followed.

I’ve observed that at the age of 25 the bone structure of my lower body is very thick, thick knees ankles and legs overall with muscle mass, big calves, and I am relatvely strong and muscular in my lower body and lifts like squats and power cleans are easy for me. My foot size is 12 with a wide foot. However the bone structure and muscle mass of my upper body is poor especially in bench press and any other upper body lift. On the other hand my wrists, hands and fingers are all small and thin, 6.5” hands, 6” wrists and pretty thin fingers, almost resembling a child’s hands. My clavicles are also somewhat average and my elbow circumference is also small as well as my arm muscles being smallMy upper body lifts are also poor as a result. For reference I am 5’10” 210 lb 20% body fat. I think this is due to use of accutane during my development as accutane has been shown to lower testosterone and IGF-1 which likely stunted my growth. Interestingly my current total testosterone is 730 ng/dL and free test is high and I have great libido and mood most of the time, I just cannot build much muscle mass in my upper body.

My questions are there any supplements, foods, or steroids/drugs that can be administered to improve my bone structure overall, more so upper body bone structure? Thanks all for the help.

You don't have a bone structure problem. There is no such condition where the lower body's bones are thicker then the upper body they grow proportionally. You definitely train legs and lower body too much thus you look like the way you do. And your bodyfat is too high which makes it appear a million times worse. Put intense focus and more time and effort on the upper body and way less on the lower body so you can even it out.

cupofcoffee

i agree with what @redsun said. I think you should stop worrying about your bone structure especially because you're unlikely to change It by a significant extent at 25 and worrying about It will only make you more insecure, worsening the situation. If you want to try your luck anyway, try increasing DHT (check men-elite.com article about It ) and IGF-1.