The Famous Cyproheptadine Rebound

AVTISTICVS

Blood sugar is normal. BP is for the first time fairly good in my life. like 120-130 over 80-90. Blood sugar 85-90 fasting 12 hours.

Entire life its been basically 140-150 over 90-105.

This is probably the worst shape ive been in. height 5’10Weigh about 155. Raw bench about the same for 1 rep. I’d guess 16% BF. LDL of 160 HDL of 59, Triglycerides 99

Previous years (when my BP was elevated) I was in astonishingly good shape. Maintained 145 weight, 6-7% BF and raw benched 315 for 2. I looked like a freak of nature. At that time my HDL was in the 80s or 90s and LDL like 40. Ate nothing but chicken, brown rice, and spoons of olive oil for years. On paper everything was perfect but my BP was always extreme even at rest. This was the case even when I weighed less (like 120) and had the same level of fitness.

I don’t know if it was because my cortisol was even higher and it’s not something I will ever be able to confirm.

AVTISTICVS

Well firstly, hats off to you for putting the meticulous effort to work through this. It's been an ongoing quest, for a number of years to understand what Cypro does to my brain. I keep saying... If I can find a way to MIMIC the effect of a cyproheptadine rebound, that would be the most IDEAL state of being in my opinion. 4-5 days after a single dose of cypro ALWAYS elicits this incredible feeling, that if I were to be honest, makes me feel like God. Verbal fluency, ZERO anxiety, ultra confidence, ultra clear headed, energetic, outgoing, fun, sexually excited by all types of women, pleasure responses back online, NO more blunted emotions feeling.
So to challenge your theory, I would say that I am NOT schizoid personality type, because I still have great relationships/friendships, I am not a loner, I crave social connections etc.

In order to determine what is going on, I have a few experiments lined up.
1. Oxytocin nasal spray
2. Pizotifen
3. Some other 5-HT2A Antagonist anti-histamine
4. Maybe Buspirone? Scared of permanent destruction of my brain though.
5. If your theory of 5-HT2A being too up-regulated, it makes me tempted to start microdosing Psilocybin, although I fear this will destroy my work/career related goals and focus more so on NATURE/introspection. I also fear it permanently messing up my already VERY high functioning/high productivity brain.

I would like to add, that in my experience, there is a homeopathic remedy called Phosphorus which can mimic the effects of cypro identically for me. It's used to treat INDIFFERENCE, APATHY, Anhedonia etc. I have used it probably now over 15 times in my lifetime, potency 30c, and each time it also feels like it restores the spark, almost like it igniting my cortisol back up? I tested EXTREMELY low metabolized cortisol on the DUTCH test btw... And I also crave salt like crazy, and have very low aldosterone.
I may have changed my mind on what is happening. There is another test that needs to be done. Have you ever taken naltrexone?
I took Pristiq before. There were some very small moments where I had the exact same rebound effect from Cypro early on. I found studies showing that early response to it correlates with ACTH suppression. Know what Cypro suppresses? ACTH and Beta endorphins.

Now look up naltrexone rebound and tell me that doesn't look familiar.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I may have changed my mind on what is happening. There is another test that needs to be done. Have you ever taken naltrexone?
I took Pristiq before. There were some very small moments where I had the exact same rebound effect from Cypro early on. I found studies showing that early response to it correlates with ACTH suppression. Know what Cypro suppresses? ACTH and Beta endorphins.

Now look up naltrexone rebound and tell me that doesn't look familiar.

Tried Naltrexone, it didn't give me what I am looking for.

AVTISTICVS

I think there is another avenue worth exploring here. Muscarinic receptor sensitization. While they are most notably involved in the parasympathetic nervous system, it seems they have targets relevant to what we are looking for.

Mid brain dopamine release, VTA
glutamatergic transmission
Histamine release
secondary messenger activation
nACH modulation

Additionally, I have found more reports of this rebound from Cyproheptadine and 3 other medications. All of them are potent non-selective anti-muscarinics. I have additionally seen 2 people describe stomach behavior on the rebound day that is in line with muscarinic control.

Tidal

I think there is another avenue worth exploring here. Muscarinic receptor sensitization. While they are most notably involved in the parasympathetic nervous system, it seems they have targets relevant to what we are looking for.

Mid brain dopamine release, VTA
glutamatergic transmission
Histamine release
secondary messenger activation
nACH modulation

Additionally, I have found more reports of this rebound from Cyproheptadine and 3 other medications. All of them are potent non-selective anti-muscarinics. I have additionally seen 2 people describe stomach behavior on the rebound day that is in line with muscarinic control.

I have medication induced anhedonia/depersonalization plus dysautonomia and experienced the same rebound type window from amitriptyline which I've longed for again.

But after taking inositol I also have symptoms that could be related to muscarinic sensitisation such as excess saliva and I get myoclonus from things that increase acetylcholine. And no remission at all so I'm not sure it is due to muscarinic receptors.

I'd kill to know what what it was.

The stomach thing you mention though, I'm unable to feel stomach now or get nausea. During that rebound window I had the worst nausea/stomach ache ever.

Tried recreating the window by taking kutaj to increase histamine but to no avail.

AVTISTICVS

I have medication induced anhedonia/depersonalization plus dysautonomia and experienced the same rebound type window from amitriptyline which I've longed for again.

But after taking inositol I also have symptoms that could be related to muscarinic sensitisation such as excess saliva and I get myoclonus from things that increase acetylcholine. And no remission at all so I'm not sure it is due to muscarinic receptors.

I'd kill to know what what it was.

The stomach thing you mention though, I'm unable to feel stomach now or get nausea. During that rebound window I had the worst nausea/stomach ache ever.

Tried recreating the window by taking kutaj to increase histamine but to no avail.
Supplementing with inositol does not affect muscarinic receptors. Muscarinic receptors do have an effect on the ip3 pathway but it’s not the same action seen from supplementing inositol.

As for increasing histamine. Histamine also has an effect on dopamine and glutamatergic neurons. However global increases are not going to do what youre after. You need receptor modulation and histamine release. Preferably enough to cause glutamate release from astrocytes. Modafinil is a decent way to test this.

Edit: Not only does amitriptyline have basically the same binding affinities for muscarinic as cypro, it even has it in the same ratios in regards to M2,M4 (inhibitory) vs M1,M3,M5 (excitatory). Not saying this is the target but I think it’s worth investigating. The dopamine relationship between M and dopamine, especially the location in which dopamine rease occurs is strongly connected to emotions.

Tidal

Supplementing with inositol does not affect muscarinic receptors. Muscarinic receptors do have an effect on the ip3 pathway but it’s not the same action seen from supplementing inositol.

As for increasing histamine. Histamine also has an effect on dopamine and glutamatergic neurons. However global increases are not going to do what youre after. You need receptor modulation and histamine release. Preferably enough to cause glutamate release from astrocytes. Modafinil is a decent way to test this.

Edit: Not only does amitriptyline have basically the same binding affinities for muscarinic as cypro, it even has it in the same ratios in regards to M2,M4 (inhibitory) vs M1,M3,M5 (excitatory). Not saying this is the target but I think it’s worth investigating. The dopamine relationship between M and dopamine, especially the location in which dopamine rease occurs is strongly connected to emotions.

I don't get any effect from taking modafanil whatsoever.

I believe I have still have anti-muscarinic effects left over from taking amitriptyline as I am unable to feel my stomach. Despite the excess saliva and my susceptibility to myoclonus when taking an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.

Sorry I'm pretty clueless when it comes to neuropharmacology so could you explain the inhibitory and excitatory part? I thought amitriptyline blocked all muscarinic receptors.

Is there any way to get this muscarinic-dopamine system up and running again? I took 9- me bc which is supposed to rebuild the dopamine system and got no effect.

It's clear to me something is clogged in the brain but I don't have a clue how to resolve it and recreate the window from coming off amitriptyline.

Also dealing with all sorts of terrible cognitive and motor problems which began when taking inositol.

AVTISTICVS

I don't get any effect from taking modafanil whatsoever.

I believe I have still have anti-muscarinic effects left over from taking amitriptyline as I am unable to feel my stomach. Despite the excess saliva and my susceptibility to myoclonus when taking an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.

Sorry I'm pretty clueless when it comes to neuropharmacology so could you explain the inhibitory and excitatory part? I thought amitriptyline blocked all muscarinic receptors.

Is there any way to get this muscarinic-dopamine system up and running again? I took 9- me bc which is supposed to rebuild the dopamine system and got no effect.

It's clear to me something is clogged in the brain but I don't have a clue how to resolve it and recreate the window from coming off amitriptyline.

Also dealing with all sorts of terrible cognitive and motor problems which began when taking inositol.
M2 and M4 are inhibitory receptors. M1,M3,M5 are excitatory.

While amitriptyline blocks all of them somewhat potently, it blocks the inhibitory muscarinics a bit more than the excitatory muscarinics. The effect we all experience here is a rebound effect after the drug wears off (or is almost worn off). With the excitatory muscarinics wearing off first youre looking at temporarily increased excitatory transmission. Additionally, increased mid brain dopamine release.

For me and others the effect basically lasts one day and can occur with a single dose. Are you able to dose amitriptyline once and experience this effect? How long does it last?

As for inositol, acutely you would have a worsening of symptoms from increased 5ht2a activation. It generally takes a while before positive effects set in.

In the coming weeks I have Mirtazapine coming to do further testing and prove out the muscarinic side as worth investigating further.

Tidal

M2 and M4 are inhibitory receptors. M1,M3,M5 are excitatory.

While amitriptyline blocks all of them somewhat potently, it blocks the inhibitory muscarinics a bit more than the excitatory muscarinics. The effect we all experience here is a rebound effect after the drug wears off (or is almost worn off). With the excitatory muscarinics wearing off first youre looking at temporarily increased excitatory transmission. Additionally, increased mid brain dopamine release.

For me and others the effect basically lasts one day and can occur with a single dose. Are you able to dose amitriptyline once and experience this effect? How long does it last?

As for inositol, acutely you would have a worsening of symptoms from increased 5ht2a activation. It generally takes a while before positive effects set in.

In the coming weeks I have Mirtazapine coming to do further testing and prove out the muscarinic side as worth investigating further.

For me it does not occur with a single dose from cyproheptadine or amitriptyline. When I did experience the rebound window from amitriptyline I'd been taking it for over a year at 100mg and 250mg before that.

I later tried to recreate the rebound at 50mg over 6 weeks of taking it and did not succeed. So it probably needs more time and perhaps a higher dose. When I got the rebound I was also taking CDP choline but it does nothing on its own.

Would upregulating those muscarinic receptors somehow help to increase dopamine in the mid brain? I'm kinda desperate and don't understand this stuff well enough.

Inositol has caused permanent effects that have been with me the past 4 years unfortunately, including the hypersalivation. But I believe they could be related to taking amitriptyline which messed up all my brain chemistry

AVTISTICVS

For me it does not occur with a single dose from cyproheptadine or amitriptyline. When I did experience the rebound window from amitriptyline I'd been taking it for over a year at 100mg and 250mg before that.

I later tried to recreate the rebound at 50mg over 6 weeks of taking it and did not succeed. So it probably needs more time and perhaps a higher dose. When I got the rebound I was also taking CDP choline but it does nothing on its own.

Would upregulating those muscarinic receptors somehow help to increase dopamine in the mid brain? I'm kinda desperate and don't understand this stuff well enough.

Inositol has caused permanent effects that have been with me the past 4 years unfortunately, including the hypersalivation. But I believe they could be related to taking amitriptyline which messed up all my brain chemistry
Hmmm. The fact it takes so long might be useful information. I don’t know how yet though.

I don’t know if muscarinic upregulation buy itself would do it or not. There’s not a lot of choices that target muscarinics selectively. Even so, muscarinics are not my main theory for the rebound. Just something I think is worth considering.

I am desperate as well. Before Cypro I had not had an emotion in 20 years among other issues.

AVTISTICVS

@Lokzo

Hydroxyzine is selective for H1,5HT2A. It’s got a decent binding affinity for both. I’m wondering if it could be taken before the rebound to see if it prevents it or weakens the strength of the rebound.

Tidal

Hmmm. The fact it takes so long might be useful information. I don’t know how yet though.

I don’t know if muscarinic upregulation buy itself would do it or not. There’s not a lot of choices that target muscarinics selectively. Even so, muscarinics are not my main theory for the rebound. Just something I think is worth considering.

I am desperate as well. Before Cypro I had not had an emotion in 20 years among other issues.
What is your main theory for the rebound?

I took inositol because I hoped it could reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors.

If it is down to desensitized receptors then wouldn't this be linked to phosphorylation and protein kinases? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff though.

Also amitriptyline increases calcium dependent desensitization of NMDA receptors through downregulatung the sodium calcium exchanger (NCX). NMDA is involved in depersonalization and emotions and is connected to 5ht2 receptors.
So I'm wondering if there's a way to increase NCXs to sensitise NMDA.

AVTISTICVS

What is your main theory for the rebound?

I took inositol because I hoped it could reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors.

If it is down to desensitized receptors then wouldn't this be linked to phosphorylation and protein kinases? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff though.

Also amitriptyline increases calcium dependent desensitization of NMDA receptors through downregulatung the sodium calcium exchanger (NCX). NMDA is involved in depersonalization and emotions and is connected to 5ht2 receptors.
So I'm wondering if there's a way to increase NCXs to sensitise NMDA.
I have a few theories. Sensitization if ip3-pkc pathway is my main theory.

I’ve just trialed risperdal and can confirm that

1. My increase in smell and taste is from 5ht2a or 5ht2c antagonism.

2. I still have the above effects during the rebound. So it’s not a supersensitivity of the above and whatever is causing the rebound is less bound by Cypro than the above receptors (5ht2a only takes 6 hours to recycle). There aren’t many targets with less binding affinity between 5ht2 and receptors that simply are not affected because if the small dose we still see the rebound with.

3. It could also be something not related to receptors. Ex. Supression of Tnfa, IL6, etc.

All that being said I’m coming to the realization that I respond well to inhibitory compounds.

How do you respond to stuff like glycine, theanine, taurine?

Advocate2021

wow this is a eye stopper. I have suffered from horrid allergies my entire life and severe chemical hypersensitivity beginning shortly after i was dosed on estrogen and progestins when i had not gotten my period- around 18. i suspect it did something to me from which i am still trying to recover as i have resolved every health issue i ever had except these two things. So, antihistamines are steady parts of my life but i only use those of which Dr. Peat approves and have basically settled on cyproheptadine which i have been taking for many years pretty consistently. An allergist prescribed up to 3 4 mg tablets (12 mg) per day which of course is a lot - ive basically been just taking 1 mg per night with breaks from it there and there. My main complaint is that this has done close to nothing for my allergies and sensitivities which are worse than ever. So, i though to increase it and took 1 mg twice per day for a week with no improvement and now am trying 1mg 3 times per day. ive tried dyphenadramine, recently with famotidine (which killed my intestine) and looking at ketofinen. im at a loss.

the cypro does not even seem to have any antihistamine property at all for me and i really dont notice anything from it, even though it must be doing something, especially based upon this thread. i notice no increase in appetite or weight gain or tirednesss really at this point- sometimes when first waking up especially since increasing it.

the thing i am specifically trying to address with it is the severe allergies and sensitivities. i dont think i understand how serotonin might manifest for me, maybe because ive been living this lifestyle for so long and taking things like progest-e and thyroid for so long that I dont have much of a serotonin issue- although i recall it was sky high in a blood level maybe 8 or 9 years ago. but after cyproheptadine for probably 6 years now (with some gaps,) cant imagine that would be the case now. Is it possible if there is rebound, its actually made my issue even worse? although when ive stopped it for a bit, have not really noticed anything; same when i begin it again, other than maybe a little sedation.

i wanted to get it done in bloodwork i just had done (which came back amazingly good for all that was done); but doc said i would get slammed with a huge charge as would not be covered; but think i can go back and get it since I have the longterm cyproheptadine usage history. All thoughts appreciated. I am at my wits end with the sensitivities as look picture perfect on paper yet cant live on this planet apparently. I found a resource on this forum for a practitioner than treats this as MCAS and was hopeful. Spoke to them and found out it would be about 20k to do the 2 week residence there, maybe half that if based upon an inventory they think one week would suffice. Seems over the top. Surely we of all people have the best answers. HELP.

AVTISTICVS

wow this is a eye stopper. I have suffered from horrid allergies my entire life and severe chemical hypersensitivity beginning shortly after i was dosed on estrogen and progestins when i had not gotten my period- around 18. i suspect it did something to me from which i am still trying to recover as i have resolved every health issue i ever had except these two things. So, antihistamines are steady parts of my life but i only use those of which Dr. Peat approves and have basically settled on cyproheptadine which i have been taking for many years pretty consistently. An allergist prescribed up to 3 4 mg tablets (12 mg) per day which of course is a lot - ive basically been just taking 1 mg per night with breaks from it there and there. My main complaint is that this has done close to nothing for my allergies and sensitivities which are worse than ever. So, i though to increase it and took 1 mg twice per day for a week with no improvement and now am trying 1mg 3 times per day. ive tried dyphenadramine, recently with famotidine (which killed my intestine) and looking at ketofinen. im at a loss.

the cypro does not even seem to have any antihistamine property at all for me and i really dont notice anything from it, even though it must be doing something, especially based upon this thread. i notice no increase in appetite or weight gain or tirednesss really at this point- sometimes when first waking up especially since increasing it.

the thing i am specifically trying to address with it is the severe allergies and sensitivities. i dont think i understand how serotonin might manifest for me, maybe because ive been living this lifestyle for so long and taking things like progest-e and thyroid for so long that I dont have much of a serotonin issue- although i recall it was sky high in a blood level maybe 8 or 9 years ago. but after cyproheptadine for probably 6 years now (with some gaps,) cant imagine that would be the case now. Is it possible if there is rebound, its actually made my issue even worse? although when ive stopped it for a bit, have not really noticed anything; same when i begin it again, other than maybe a little sedation.

i wanted to get it done in bloodwork i just had done (which came back amazingly good for all that was done); but doc said i would get slammed with a huge charge as would not be covered; but think i can go back and get it since I have the longterm cyproheptadine usage history. All thoughts appreciated. I am at my wits end with the sensitivities as look picture perfect on paper yet cant live on this planet apparently. I found a resource on this forum for a practitioner than treats this as MCAS and was hopeful. Spoke to them and found out it would be about 20k to do the 2 week residence there, maybe half that if based upon an inventory they think one week would suffice. Seems over the top. Surely we of all people have the best answers. HELP.
Try cortico steroids (Nasacort). Not to be used long term but it will probably work. My allergies used to be so bad I would blose my nose every thirty seconds and couldn’t keep my eyes open they were so swollen. corticos are the only thing that works for me. That and moving to another state

redsun

Our natural antihistamines are cortisol and the catecholamines (norepinephrine and epinephrine). But the body will only raise cortisol so much. When adrenal activity is high enough, this will generally stop most allergic reactions. Iodine works well in my experience, likely by thyroid hormone improving adrenergic tone as thyroid hormone increases the sensitivity to catecholamines. If you tried antihistamines for awhile, I suggest you try some iodine every morning instead. It should greatly reduce severity of allergic reactions. 150mcg a day as potassium iodide is well within normal intakes. Also if the diet is low in red meat it tends to be low in zinc as well, which has mast cell stabilizing effects. Zinc also increase beta 2 receptor's affinity for epinephrine. Beta 2 receptor activity inhibits histamine release from mast cells.

Based on your diet you sound like you get quite a bit of copper otherwise thats the first thing I would have recommended. But if you have MCAS symptoms, citrus fruit or juice will aggravate this strongly. Especially if you consume citrus throughout the day you will constantly be triggering mast cells.

Advocate2021

Our natural antihistamines are cortisol and the catecholamines (norepinephrine and epinephrine). But the body will only raise cortisol so much. When adrenal activity is high enough, this will generally stop most allergic reactions. Iodine works well in my experience, likely by thyroid hormone improving adrenergic tone as thyroid hormone increases the sensitivity to catecholamines. If you tried antihistamines for awhile, I suggest you try some iodine every morning instead. It should greatly reduce severity of allergic reactions. 150mcg a day as potassium iodide is well within normal intakes. Also if the diet is low in red meat it tends to be low in zinc as well, which has mast cell stabilizing effects. Zinc also increase beta 2 receptor's affinity for epinephrine. Beta 2 receptor activity inhibits histamine release from mast cells.

Based on your diet you sound like you get quite a bit of copper otherwise thats the first thing I would have recommended. But if you have MCAS symptoms, citrus fruit or juice will aggravate this strongly. Especially if you consume citrus throughout the day you will constantly be triggering mast cells.
Very interesting thank you.

Even though Dr. Peat warns against iodine as toxic to the thyroid? At one point on my journey i was put on iodoral and ended up with thyroiditis- my heart was literally leaping out of my chest- so a little scared to try iodine. Do you have any insight on this conflict?

I eat oysters and liver regularly so would think i am getting a good amount of zinc. those should cover my copper too as well as shrimp which i eat as well.

The citrus thing wow- i do drink a lot of OJ per Peat principles. i wonder what Dr. Peat would say about that since he is such a proponent of OJ. It would seem he would not recommend it so empathically and amply if he thought it would trigger mast cells? im open to all at this point but other than this one issue which is severe, I dont want to sacrifice my endocrine and hormone balance which are pretty remarkable- hormone levels on blood work just came back like someone 25 years old so there is good too.

AVTISTICVS

Very interesting thank you.

Even though Dr. Peat warns against iodine as toxic to the thyroid? At one point on my journey i was put on iodoral and ended up with thyroiditis- my heart was literally leaping out of my chest- so a little scared to try iodine. Do you have any insight on this conflict?

I eat oysters and liver regularly so would think i am getting a good amount of zinc. those should cover my copper too as well as shrimp which i eat as well.

The citrus thing wow- i do drink a lot of OJ per Peat principles. i wonder what Dr. Peat would say about that since he is such a proponent of OJ. It would seem he would not recommend it so empathically and amply if he thought it would trigger mast cells? im open to all at this point but other than this one issue which is severe, I dont want to sacrifice my endocrine and hormone balance which are pretty remarkable- hormone levels on blood work just came back like someone 25 years old so there is good too.
I forgot to add in addition to nasacort, quercitin. Its a potent mass cell stabilizer. Works fairly well.

Advocate2021

I forgot to add in addition to nasacort, quercitin. Its a potent mass cell stabilizer. Works fairly well.
ive tried the nasal spays in the past with not much effect. I here amazing things about quercetin but Dr. Peat didnt like it when i asked him if i recall. but again, open at this point. pretty sure ive taken it in the past though.

Advocate2021

i think this is the issue Dr. Peat had with quercetin:

Does quercetin affect estrogen levels?

In a test tube study, quercetin was found to change estrogen metabolism in human liver cells in a way that increases estradiol levels and reduces other forms of estrogen. This effect is likely to increase estrogen activity in the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom