Pepto Bismol Cured Me?

OP
Peata

Peata

I just took it until the diarrhea stopped. I didn't have to exceed the recommended dosage. I took a dose when I had diarrhea and if/when it came back, I took another one, and so on until it stopped. Then I may have needed a dose here and there for another few days, but I don't remember exactly. I just used it as needed.

I was surprised it took care of the chronic diarrhea. Like you, I had it for over a year.

I'm getting tested for some things in the next several weeks, so I hope to get to the bottom of what's going on in my gut.

OP
Peata

Peata

Some results so far -

calprotectin <16 range: <=50 ug/g
pancreatic elestase 252 range >=201 ug/g
lactose intolerance breath test - neg
SIBO - neg

OP
Peata

Peata

Reviving this to say that Pepto Bismol once again helped me. I had an infection recently and had to go on antibiotics. Wouldn't you know, I was prescribed the same antibiotic that gave me the worst intestinal cramps of my life and blood in my copious diarrhea last winter. I didn't put up a fight about going back on it, because the other antibiotic she was going to put me on was a worse option to me. And I knew I had Pepto to help me now.

Back in the winter, I used the Pepto Bismol after I stopped the antibiotic and it cleared up what I and my doctor thought was colitis. This time I started using Pepto at the first sign of trouble (cramp and diarrhea). I use it again anytime I start to feel like I'll have more diarrhea. I only have two days left on the antibiotic, and things have overall been fine, thanks to Pepto. It's really saved my behind.

It was really strange though to even have diarrhea again after being fine for so long. But I spent basically all of 2014 with it everyday.

Peat's_Girl

That's really interesting. I don't know if I can use it for my particular problem. I'd actually want the opposite effect right about now... (Or maybe do a garlic exorcism? "BE GONE DEMON!" It won't be pretty.)

And you don't attribute the diarrhea to something in your diet? Like starch, fiber?
Did you ever try B-HCL before with any success?

OP
Peata

Peata

No, this diarrhea was from the antibiotic. I was fine after Pepto cured me the first time up until I got on this antibiotic last week.

As far as what caused the diarrhea last year, I'm not certain.

If you have constipation, then maybe Pepto isn't the choice for you. I just thought you were having stomach pain/upset, and it is taken for that as well, as needed.

BibleBeliever

Very interesting. This site speaks about bismuth too:
Bismuth Lithium DRI/RDA, benefits, side effects, overdose, toxicity, requirements,

Calcium and copper lower bismuth according to it. Couldn't find much about it occurring in foods; just saw chaga mushrooms and maca root as sources.

I wonder if there is any truth to this in the article: "bismuth in regard to phosphorus / zinc balance"

Bismuth effecting phosphorus and zinc levels.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals