Ulcers, H. Pylori, Malnutrition, & Plain Old Stress

mrchibbs

Ulcers, caused by H. pylori, can originate from an infected tooth or root canal treated tooth. This is what I think happened to my wife, she had an ulcer, and she had an infected tooth, which still showed a shadow in her digital x-ray. When I googled on ulcer & root canal the following medical article popped up:

Helicobacter pylori and its reservoirs: A correlation with the gastric infection

This is a review paper on the correlation between ulcers and infected teeth. The infection can serve as a 'reservoir' for H. pylori, the ulcer is treated and then comes back, because the underlying tooth infection is not being treated. I use chlorine dioxide, I rinse my mouth with four activated MMS drops and swallow it. Bacteria from the teeth or infected gums can cause heart disease and arthritis.

I attached the slice from a 3-D scan of my wife's molar, you see a dark spot above the white root canal filling.

Thanks, that's so interesting!

Oral infections are just as pernicious and intestinal ones. It's fascinating how systemic their effects can be.

Due to some circumstances, I haven't been to the dentist in 3 years. I don't miss the x-rays, but I've had health problems in the meantime which may be driven by oral issues.

OP
C
Thanks for all the helpful info, @Zpol.

- How did you find out about fatty liver; did you get an abdominal ultrasound? If so did they look at your gallbladder, main bile duct, and pancreas? Sounds to me like you could have an issue with bile flow and low pancreatic enzymes. Pancreatic enzymes are needed for protein assimilation. There are some enzyme supplements out there which are supposedly pretty good but I prefer a more natural route so I take bovine pancreas supplements. I use the Ancestral Supplements brand but Healthnatura has one too.

Ultrasound found fatty liver; I don't recall problems with any other organs. But poorly digested protein reaching the intestine could explain my lower GI symptoms. Thanks for mentioning Ancestral Supplements. While I need more of almost everything. it's possible AS or organ meats might cover some important bases. I'll take a look. I'd also prefer AS to enzymes.

Trying honey; will look into monolaurin and mastic gum.

- What brand of B vitamins are you taking? Some of the cleanest (least likely to cause pain) I think are the Idealabs Energin, Healthnatura, or the Forefront Health one. You don't want to take too much B3, 50mg doses a couple times a day is probably safe. But I'd be very cautious with supplementing with it because too much can be hard on the liver.

When I take individual B vitamins, I use powders from Pure Bulk. I also take Energin. Oral B vitamins have been wrecking my GI lately, so I'm in process of switching to topical application.

Interesting that antihistamines relieved your gastritis symptoms. I was taking cyproheptadine even before my upper GI went berserk, so I'm not sure how much it's helping.

- I see a lot of people recommend collagen and gelatin for stomach issues and they are great but they don't have nearly enough glycine in them to make a noticeable improvement in my experience. Perhaps try some additional glycine powder. For more on that search haidut's posts on glycine + either aspirin or gastritis.

Glycine and AminoPro would be perfect for me...except that glycine and other AA powders have repeatedly taken a blowtorch to my intestine. If I could somehow tolerate glycine powder, it would be a huge help.

- As I'm sure you know, a high calcium to phosphate ratio is imperative. The cheese in your diet might not be enough to balance all the meat. I'm not sure what your ratios are but you might want to consider adding in some egg shell calcium.

Was taking eggshell calcium, but GI no longer tolerates it.

Thanks for the email from RP. My cortisol is very likely high.

OP
C
if you get urge to go to bathroom after eating fried food or any kind of meat,consider fat malabsorption(bileacid diarrhea)

I don't have that problem -- my GI seems to handle fat pretty well -- but thanks for contributing, @japanesedude.

OP
C
I find the easiest protein to digest is scallops, shrimp, cod, etc. fish also provide a lot of selenium and zinc which your probably low in. Warmed goat milk with some sugar is easy to digest as well, have you tried that?

Thanks for these tips.

I haven't yet found a protein source that doesn't give me trouble (either in upper or lower GI). The least bad options right now are probably gelatin, cheese, and egg yolk. (Interesting that these three are all non-fibrous.) Shellfish are probably next on the list.

It would be good to diversify proteins, and it makes sense to start with foods that others have found easy to digest. I'll try warm goat milk (never had it), and experiment with eating seafood more often.

Also the more you focus on digestion, the worse it gets.

Too true...

Ik its difficult, but if you accept the pain, and act as if you want to be in pain, slowly you stop suffering from the pain and you simply live with it, and so you can begin eating meals you like the taste of and accept the feeling it gives.

I hear you. For me, the challenge isn't the pain but the sense that I'm damaging my body or making it even harder to eat in the future. But the same idea applies: accepting the uncertainty makes it easier to bear and easier to get on with life.

I know this is easier said than done, but mental health is important in trying to recover

I personally found this very helpful, and if your into reading, reading his book “letting go” is very helpful

Thanks for the clip. Just downloaded his book. I agree that beliefs exert a lot of influence over health. Learned helplessness is just one example.

gaze

I hear you. For me, the challenge isn't the pain but the sense that I'm damaging my body or making it even harder to eat in the future. But the same idea applies: accepting the uncertainty makes it easier to bear and easier to get on with life.

Yea I have the same problems. I think its from an underlying fear of death. Especially when you experience a lot of pain and suffering and chronic disease, we fear the those feelings reoccurring. Because in our mind we know what's going on, we know we're degenerating in those states, and we fear the downward spiral of stress, and suffering, and ultimately a form of death, from cancer or whatever it may be. But the mind can make any situation a million times worse, mainly because the mind does not stop creating new ideas. but if the fear of death is accepted, and one "accepts" the feelings currently within him. and ultimately loves life regardless of the struggles, then that feeling of love, acceptance, openness, gratitude, provides a naturally healing state, by the lowering of the chronic stress. Its how some people like monks can do crazy things like stab themselves and have no reaction, because what they're doing is accepting the pain and surrendering to the feeling, so its not that their not feeling pain, its that they're indifferent to the pain, and can live with it without stressing about the pain.

Bluemachine

Ulcers, caused by H. pylori, can originate from an infected tooth or root canal treated tooth. This is what I think happened to my wife, she had an ulcer, and she had an infected tooth, which still showed a shadow in her digital x-ray. When I googled on ulcer & root canal the following medical article popped up:

Helicobacter pylori and its reservoirs: A correlation with the gastric infection

This is a review paper on the correlation between ulcers and infected teeth. The infection can serve as a 'reservoir' for H. pylori, the ulcer is treated and then comes back, because the underlying tooth infection is not being treated. I use chlorine dioxide, I rinse my mouth with four activated MMS drops and swallow it. Bacteria from the teeth or infected gums can cause heart disease and arthritis.

I attached the slice from a 3-D scan of my wife's molar, you see a dark spot above the white root canal filling.
How would you treat an infection like this? Surely a mouth wash isn't going to be able to get at it

StephanF

Forum Supporter
How would you treat an infection like this? Surely a mouth wash isn't going to be able to get at it
She had antibiotics and it stopped it. My guess is that the ulcer started before the root canal treatment. That was back when my wife lived in Japan. She has another appointment to check if the shadow still persists. In that case her new dentist wants to cap the root.

Chlorine dioxide works very well on teeth. Read these testimonials:

Tooth Problem - MMS Testimonials - Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Solution

OP
C

Thanks for raising this potentially important point, @StephanF.

I had great teeth until roughly 2.5 years ago, when my adrenergic attacks (caused by an undetected B complex deficiency) forced me to start high doses of clonidine and cyproheptadine, which wrecked my teeth. I now have multiple cavities along the gum line and limited access to a dentist. Although I've mostly succeeded in keeping the cavities from worsening (thanks in part to the threads here on dental hygiene), they are, as you point out, a likely source of bacteria.

OP
C
Yea I have the same problems. I think its from an underlying fear of death. Especially when you experience a lot of pain and suffering and chronic disease, we fear the those feelings reoccurring. Because in our mind we know what's going on, we know we're degenerating in those states, and we fear the downward spiral of stress, and suffering, and ultimately a form of death, from cancer or whatever it may be. But the mind can make any situation a million times worse, mainly because the mind does not stop creating new ideas. but if the fear of death is accepted, and one "accepts" the feelings currently within him. and ultimately loves life regardless of the struggles, then that feeling of love, acceptance, openness, gratitude, provides a naturally healing state, by the lowering of the chronic stress. Its how some people like monks can do crazy things like stab themselves and have no reaction, because what they're doing is accepting the pain and surrendering to the feeling, so its not that their not feeling pain, its that they're indifferent to the pain, and can live with it without stressing about the pain.

Thank you for this insightful and inspiring comment.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States

I think there's another side to this, which is accepting that you will die. I don't think anything is more freeing for a certain type of person than letting go of notions of "well if I do EVERYTHING right I could technically probably become biologically immortal" and things like transhumanist transferal of consciousness and so on. For me, pain is a reminder that life is ultimately as Heraclitus says- composed of fire, ultimately a seething vortex of desire, never self-identical but generally similar in form. It's this kind of largeness of thinking that makes it possible to deal with one's own problems clinically, without stress or excessive emotional involvement.

OP
C
I think there's another side to this, which is accepting that you will die. I don't think anything is more freeing for a certain type of person than letting go of notions of "well if I do EVERYTHING right I could technically probably become biologically immortal" and things like transhumanist transferal of consciousness and so on. For me, pain is a reminder that life is ultimately as Heraclitus says- composed of fire, ultimately a seething vortex of desire, never self-identical but generally similar in form. It's this kind of largeness of thinking that makes it possible to deal with one's own problems clinically, without stress or excessive emotional involvement.

Yes, I'd expect seeing the world clearly to take some of the stress out of dealing with health.

It would also help if contemporary culture were a little more open and honest about death. I think Ivan Illich made the point in Medical Nemesis that older or more traditional cultures reminded people frequently of death, or at least did less to conceal it, and that these reminders eased fears and helped people live better lives.

I don't think these views are necessarily inconsistent with Ray Peat's view that in a better environment, we might live quite a bit longer...but probably not by Dave Asprey-style biohacking.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Yes, I'd expect seeing the world clearly to take some of the stress out of dealing with health.

It would also help if contemporary culture were a little more open and honest about death. I think Ivan Illich made the point in Medical Nemesis that older or more traditional cultures reminded people frequently of death, or at least did less to conceal it, and that these reminders eased fears and helped people live better lives.

I don't think these views are necessarily inconsistent with Ray Peat's view that in a better environment, we might live quite a bit longer...but probably not by Dave Asprey-style biohacking.

Ray peat does this bit where it's like "I see no reason why biologically immortality wouldn't be feasible." On the one hand, he may or may not exactly be wrong. On the other hand, this (and the general fixation with life extension in general) can become a massive psychological cope and an impediment in the face of the fact that you WILL die.

OP
C
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. My stomach is not 100%, but it's doing much better, and I'm able to eat way more than when the symptoms were at their worst.

Here's my protocol so far:
2 tbsps of honey first thing in the a.m.;
20 mg famotidine 2X per day;
chamomile tea with honey 2-3X per day and occasionally pau d'arco tea with honey;
pepto-bismol up to 2X per day as needed (hoping to stop soon);
eating around 30-50% of my protein in the form of gelatin;
nibbling on food throughout the day or just eating slowly;
chewing food very thoroughly; and
50-100 mg of penicillin per day for a few days.

There are promising ideas in the comments above that I haven't tried yet but plan to try or haven't finished testing. I'm working on increasing my protein intake and gradually diversifying my diet. Eating slowly and chewing a lot definitely help with my protein tolerance.

GelatinGoblin

There are people replying on this thread with more knowledgeable information and advice and this may be unrelated but, how much do you walk? Walking has helped me a great deal in my life and eased (relatively little) digestion problems I had/have. Again this may be a bit unrelated and not helpful much but if you have the energy I highly suggest walking after eating carbohydrates (whichever one can digest).

OP
C
There are people replying on this thread with more knowledgeable information and advice and this may be unrelated but, how much do you walk? Walking has helped me a great deal in my life and eased (relatively little) digestion problems I had/have. Again this may be a bit unrelated and not helpful much but if you have the energy I highly suggest walking after eating carbohydrates (whichever one can digest).

To make a long story short, I have been home bound since spring of 2019 and have been able to do very little walking since then. The lack of movement has undoubtedly contributed to my poor health.

Strangely enough, however, while my GI problems have gotten much worse in the last 6 months or so, my capacity for walking and other gentle exercise has increased significantly on my good days. I just bought a cane and plan to do short walks outside my place on days when my lower GI symptoms (discussed in another thread) are mild.

So thank you for your idea and reminder, @GelatinGoblin. I need to take advantage of the days when I can walk more.

GelatinGoblin

To make a long story short, I have been home bound since spring of 2019 and have been able to do very little walking since then. The lack of movement has undoubtedly contributed to my poor health.

Strangely enough, however, while my GI problems have gotten much worse in the last 6 months or so, my capacity for walking and other gentle exercise has increased significantly on my good days. I just bought a cane and plan to do short walks outside my place on days when my lower GI symptoms (discussed in another thread) are mild.

So thank you for your idea and reminder, @GelatinGoblin. I need to take advantage of the days when I can walk more.

That's great, any walking will do the trick. Again after ingestion of carbs is ideal, both for digestion and for CO2 production. To my knowledge digesting while walking simulates a high metabolic rate (Good Thyroid function) and general increased blood flow, and perhaps an integral (or very helpful) part in the actual digestion process. Ray Peat has advocated for it at least.
Good luck :thumbsup:

OP
C
That's great, any walking will do the trick. Again after ingestion of carbs is ideal, both for digestion and for CO2 production. To my knowledge digesting while walking simulates a high metabolic rate (Good Thyroid function) and general increased blood flow, and perhaps an integral (or very helpful) part in the actual digestion process. Ray Peat has advocated for it at least.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks, @GelatinGoblin. Increasing blood flow to an inflamed GI tract sounds good to me. Hope to be doing more walking soon.

OP
C
Is that sarcasm?
:(

No, my friend, not at all. I would expect increased blood flow to bring nutrients to a stressed tissue. I genuinely appreciate your help and all the other helpful responses to my posts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals