Diarrhea, Fever, Very Worried

SQu

I would really appreciate some help. My husband has had nearly a week of diarrhoea and fever. There has been a bug going around. But he's not getting anywhere in terms of healing. he is prone to gastritis though it's rare these days because we manage it. The pain right now is an ache below his ribs that runs across the width of his body and corresponds to where the transverse colon is. He is very depleted. He goes up and down during the day. Colour pale and grey. My fear is a repeat of a terrifying unexplained fever he had 6 years ago , which led to a week in hospital, 2 nights in ICU. It started out very similarly but without the diarrhea. There was no medical explanation that time. Subsequently we came to think that fast weight loss at the time led to damaging pufa release. This time I worry that the unintentional weight loss due to diarrhoea may be doing the same thing. But I worry too about what else might cause this.
I've given him lots of charcoal, some methylene blue and cyproheptadine. But I've stopped the charcoal and MB on the off chance the charcoal may be irritating him at the moment. The most helpful so far is 3tb gelatin in a hot drink with aspirin and caffeine twice a day. To complicate things we're on holiday and not close to much help. I am going to see if I can get a local version of Pepto-Bismol. Is there anything else I can do other than find a doctor nearby?

Peata

Can you get tonic water? Sipping on that might provide some relief.

SarahBeara

Surely you can visit a doctor of some sort to get him assessed? There are times to consult internet forums rather than medical professionals, this does not seem like that time.

M

marikay

From the description of where his pain is emanating from, I'd say his gallbladder is the problem. My mom gets something similar from time to time. If she greatly limits fats in her diet for a week or so, the problem goes away. Good Luck.

OP
SQu

SQu

Thanks for quick responses. He got top medical help last time, they suspected gall bladder but it checked out fine on sonar (?) scan. Nevertheless I now have the name of a good doctor in the area so we'll phone in the morning. I have tonic water! So we'll try that and the fat suggestions, thank you again .

Mittir

I found quick relief from flu and upset stomach by drinking 1 tbs of white
vinegar mixed in a glass of water. It worked twice. But. acidity can cause
dental issue and stomach pain.

I once tried adding baking soda to this mix to neutralize the acidity.
But, i did not get the instant relief but felt much better.
Since, he has stomach pain, it is safer to try
the baking soda plus vinegar recipe.

I am guessing he is getting some form of salt sugar mix rehydration fluid .
It is very important for diarrhea patient. Most symptoms of diarrhea is due
loss of fluid and minerals, especially salt.
Proper antibiotic can be helpful too if it is due to bug.

OP
SQu

SQu

Thanks mittir. He's a bit better today and I'm about to give him a salty gelatin drink after breakfast. The tonic water might be helping too. About to include baking soda too.

Last edited:

tara

I don't like the sound of him looking grey - glad he's a bit better. If he gets to looking grey again, I too would favour getting to dr/hospital if it doesn't improve very soon.

I am guessing he is getting some form of salt sugar mix rehydration fluid .
It is very important for diarrhea patient. Most symptoms of diarrhea is due
loss of fluid and minerals, especially salt.
+1
When I've been really sick, sometime the only fluids I could get down were soda water and ginger ale, maybe with a little salt added.

I wonder if activated charcoal could help? Not confident about whether that would be wise, but if it's a gut bug it can help remove some of that load, and even if its not, removing some of the endotoxin might take a load off the system?

OP
SQu

SQu

He chose not to go to the doc today as is feeling quite a lot better. His colour in particular I'm far happier with. Salt helped. So his strength and vitality are up, now I'd like to stop the diarrhoea. I'll keep a close eye and carry on with all discussed and look for imodium/Pepto-Bismol type thing. Thank you!

Stopping diarrhea is very easy with saccharomyces boulardi. Works very well and very fast you yet gentle. One capsule or maybe two is all that is needed

OP
SQu

SQu

Apologies for not responding earlier, we were travelling and there wasn't the chance to go online. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm making notes of all this for future reference as fortunately he is well again now. The key was to rebuild strength mostly through minerals - salt especially, potassium, then gelatin to soothe, and a day after he started to look a better colour and feel stronger, the diarrhoea receded.

OP
SQu

SQu

Update: happened again a year later following flu. Milder this time which was much milder than the first time. Common thread in all three cases: period of high stress; weight loss (intentional, but had speeded up perhaps too much on stopping butter); fever rising or spiking during day. gelatin honey and aspirin made the biggest difference. This time I also used 400mg b3 as well as the usual vitamins on the suspicion that FFA release was causing and then fuelling symptoms. So we also aimed to keep weight stable and not dropping, for now and until fully recovered after which resume weight loss but slower, keeping some sat fat in the diet. The homeopathic remedies of Pyrogen and Ars alb helped a lot too. Also belladonna, veratrum. Used pectrolyte twice and that seemed to control diarrhoea. Charcoal twice also helped.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals