14-month-old With Fever (104’F)

YamnayaMommy

My baby was running a fever of 101 earlier this afternoon, but I held off giving him Tylenol until this evening, when it spiked to 104. (I know Tylenol is not preferred here)

what do parents here do when their babies run high fevers?

It is baffling to me that he is sick again since we’ve been sheltering in place for weeks and have had very few opportunities to catch yet another virus. It has been a horrible season of nonstop colds and flus for my normally hale and robust family.

my husband has been mainly working from home, although he did yesterday go into his office downtown. Today he found out that an employee who had worked on the same office floor died yesterday of covid19. We are in Chicago, where the virus is supposedly spreading fast.

So a follow up question is, what do parents here do when babies run a high fever and covid19 is going around?

Regina

My baby was running a fever of 101 earlier this afternoon, but I held off giving him Tylenol until this evening, when it spiked to 104. (I know Tylenol is not preferred here)

what do parents here do when their babies run high fevers?

It is baffling to me that he is sick again since we’ve been sheltering in place for weeks and have had very few opportunities to catch yet another virus. It has been a horrible season of nonstop colds and flus for my normally hale and robust family.

my husband has been mainly working from home, although he did yesterday go into his office downtown. Today he found out that an employee who had worked on the same office floor died yesterday of covid19. We are in Chicago, where the virus is supposedly spreading fast.

So a follow up question is, what do parents here do when babies run a high fever and covid19 is going around?
I don't know but my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Do you have a baby aspirin? And homemade soup with gelatin? Red light?

I hope others jump in with actionable answers.

You got to be kidding me, 104f = 40 Celsius. Call 911 right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an emergency high fever even for an adult. Call 911.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

You got to be kidding me, 104f = 40 Celsius. Call 911 right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an emergency high fever even for an adult. Call 911.
Our pediatrician says to go if fever is over 104. I’m seeing this confirmed on other medical sites, like Cleveland clinic. Maybe children tolerate higher temps? his temp came down after the Tylenol, but I’m wondering what i could do to make him comfortable. Light clothes and no covers? Cool bath? He’s still nursing so we’re doing lots of that.

lampofred

Yeah 104 is pretty high and probably needs a doctor, but if it were lower, I would probably increase either chicken liver or calf liver intake. Sounds odd I know but I think liver has a lot of "vital energy" factors that help to strongly increase immunity. Bone broth too probably but to a lesser extent. Lots of sugars and milk. Maybe eggs too but their blood sugar lowering effect might be dangerous. Calf liver probably has more protective factors than chicken but the high copper content could also be stressful.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Yes, I did homemade soup with beef etc, and he got homemade jello (gelatin and frozen oj concentrate ). Plus breast milk. So he’s well nourished.

I haven’t done the research on aspirin for children, and my pediatrician says Tylenol and ibuprofen for kids. He even says that I should not take aspirin because I’m BFing—such is the fear of Reye’s syndrome!

we got lots of sunshine in our yard today! I don’t have a red light device but that’s something else I want to look into for next winter.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Yeah 104 is pretty high and probably needs a doctor, but if it were lower, I would probably increase either chicken liver or calf liver intake. Sounds odd I know but I think liver has a lot of "vital energy" factors that help to strongly increase immunity. Bone broth too probably but to a lesser extent. Lots of sugars and milk. Maybe eggs too but their blood sugar lowering effect might be dangerous. Calf liver probably has more protective factors than chicken but the high copper content could also be stressful.
Thanks, I’ll venture to store tomorrow to get liver, which he likes.

alywest

I‘be brought down high fevers with this trick: fill a gallon sized ziploc about 1/4 of the way with ice and then fill partially with cool water. Basically make it so only the squishy parts touch your babe. The ice alone is so harsh and only works on very isolated spots. If you have the large bags you can cover a nice big area like the entire belly or back. Of course put a blanket or sheet in between them and the baggy.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

And thanks for the thoughts and prayers. He’s sleeping well now and his fever is lower. Hopefully it will be a quickie. When we all got a flu last month, the adults were hardest hit with days of fever, chills, aches, upper respiratory symptoms, etc. in contrast, the babies all had fevers for a day and then runny noses for a week, and had a better time than the adults overall.

Hope you’re able to get out and enjoy these nice spring days with your pup!

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

I‘be brought down high fevers with this trick: fill a gallon sized ziploc about 1/4 of the way with ice and then fill partially with cool water. Basically make it so only the squishy parts touch your babe. The ice alone is so harsh and only works on very isolated spots. If you have the large bags you can cover a nice big area like the entire belly or back. Of course put a blanket or sheet in between them and the baggy.
That’s really interesting. I will try that if it spikes again.

SOMO

104 = Emergency Room.

104 Degrees = infection.

I can't think of any reason why someone would have a fever that high without accompanying infection.

And Tylenol is a shitty drug and less effective at reducing fever than other NSAIDS like Aspirin or Ibuprofen.

If you have concerns about ER costs I would go to one of those urgent care places.

Regina

And thanks for the thoughts and prayers. He’s sleeping well now and his fever is lower. Hopefully it will be a quickie. When we all got a flu last month, the adults were hardest hit with days of fever, chills, aches, upper respiratory symptoms, etc. in contrast, the babies all had fevers for a day and then runny noses for a week, and had a better time than the adults overall.

Hope you’re able to get out and enjoy these nice spring days with your pup!
"He’s sleeping well now and his fever is lower." So happy to learn.
haidut had mentioned he could find chicken necks with the thyroid intact at latin markets.
Maybe there are 'cuello de pollo con tiroides' in Pilsen after we are let out to make good chicken soups.
Sounds like you're doing everything: Mommy's breast milk, homemade jello and homemade beef soup, getting outside and being close to you.
Yeah, probably do more digging about aspirin for babies. I'd scrap the tylenol.

Maybe a warm bath with equal parts baking soda, epsom salt and kosher salt mix.

All best for his continued improvements!!!

Beastmode

As a parent, you have to follow your gut as you know your child the best.

When our toddler was burning up like crazy, one of the things that seemed to really help was a warm bath, like @Regina suggested.

One major thing that kept us grounded was the continuous thinking around what can help increase her oxidative metabolism. Thinking holism, not mechanistic. Anything that supports that should move the body to where it doesn't need to be so warm anymore. I noticed it got us to "tighten" a few things up that we could've been doing (i.e- more natural lighting outside, maintain blood sugar by giving her snacks more frequently, etc.)

Again, as a fellow parent of a little one, you know best. Just don't forget the basics that Peat promotes and see how you can possibly improve as many of those appropriately for your child asap.....and for the future.

Consider emailing Peat directly if that makes sense to you.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice.

Baby boy is doing much better now after lots of naps and nutrition and walks in the spring sunshine.

I am still baffled by yesterday’s fever and accompanying fussiness, down affect, droopy eyes, flushed cheeks—and all the drool. He is not a drooly baby, but was soaking his shirt in drool this morning. And this makes me think that all the symptoms have a relatively benign cause: teething. Pediatric sites say teething fevers do not run high, but my mom and other moms say that in their experience teething fevers do run high and that teething babies often present as super sick. my first two babies also ran high fevers that seemed to be related to teething—but who knows what is going on.

The Seattle children hospital also says fevers up to 104 are benign and even beneficial for fighting infection, and they advise against the over liberal use of fever reducers for children.

Regina

Baby boy is doing much better now after lots of naps and nutrition and walks in the spring sunshine.

I am still baffled by yesterday’s fever and accompanying fussiness, down affect, droopy eyes, flushed cheeks—and all the drool. He is not a drooly baby, but was soaking his shirt in drool this morning. And this makes me think that all the symptoms have a relatively benign cause: teething. Pediatric sites say teething fevers do not run high, but my mom and other moms say that in their experience teething fevers do run high and that teething babies often present as super sick. my first two babies also ran high fevers that seemed to be related to teething—but who knows what is going on.

The Seattle children hospital also says fevers up to 104 are benign and even beneficial for fighting infection, and they advise against the over liberal use of fever reducers for children.
Yipppeeeeee! I kept checking today for you to update us on the lil guy.
Have a great weekend!

RealNeat

Vax recently?

LUH 3417

I once read that baking soda baths lower children’s fever. It helped lower my bfs fever once pretty impressively, he went from like 102-98 in a few hours. Glad to hear your baby is better but just something to try if it happens again.

cardochav

FYI, Baby taken in to the ER with 104 would be getting, hooked up to IV drip, and a “septic work up,” which includes: blood panels, flu swabs, rsv swabs, Catheter urine sample, and chest x-ray. Based on the results an antibiotic, usually rosephin (cephalosporin) would be administered.

RealNeat

I once read that baking soda baths lower children’s fever. It helped lower my bfs fever once pretty impressively, he went from like 102-98 in a few hours. Glad to hear your baby is better but just something to try if it happens again.
CO2

Beastmode

FYI, Baby taken in to the ER with 104 would be getting, hooked up to IV drip, and a “septic work up,” which includes: blood panels, flu swabs, rsv swabs, Catheter urine sample, and chest x-ray. Based on the results an antibiotic, usually rosephin (cephalosporin) would be administered.

I can't see any problems in that at all.....(pointing gun to my head!)

Even pediatricians are useless in our experience.

#stayawayfromdoctors