A cautionary tale about supplementing T3

blue_lotus

almost a week ago I took a single 75 mcg pill of T3; since then ive had awful diarrhea, bloating and occasional stomach cramps. it sounds very similar to whats described in this post:

im shocked that I would still be experiencing these kinds of debilitating side effects from a single (admittedly large) dose of T3; its almost as if the dosage of T3 somehow shocked my body or flipped a switch or something. I think that by now most of the T3 that I took a week ago should have already left my body, yet im still experiencing these negative side effects. curiously I didnt experience any other effects from the T3, neither good nor bad (no heart problems, no thyroid storm etc), persistent diarrhea, bloating and occasional stomach cramps were the only effect I experienced

currently im taking pepto-bismol to cope with the side effects and hoping that things return to normal after a few days, however I cant help but be worried that I screwed myself up. I read everywhere that T3 can cause diarrhea but im more curious about the detailed mechanism about how that works; it could shed some light on whats going on in my body right now :(

P

Peatness

So, you read Dr. Peat's articles, listened to his interviews and then decided to do your own thing? I guess this is a good way to learn. Hope you feel better soon.

Smelly5

Yeah, that's a lot!

catharsis

The bloating could be due to high estrogen from increased steroid production. If you take thyroid in a bad-health state, you can get stress symptoms and high estrogen symptoms. I am not sure where the stomach cramps and diarrhea come from but you should make sure your diet is on point before starting a thyroid regimen. Dietary calcium and some non-fermentable fibers should slow down the diarrhea and add bulk. I know people who have too much magnesium in their supplement regimen that get diarrhea symptoms; thyroid is known to increase the retention of magnesium...

OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

thank you all for your responses; fortunately I seem to have recovered. something I did which definitely seemed to help was phlebotomy; after doing phlebotomy (I do this for de-ironing) my symptoms improved a lot. I guess this makes sense since thyroid hormones circulate in the blood stream, so by removing a large amount of blood it should also have some effect on thyroid stuff as well

h.c.

almost a week ago I took a single 75 mcg pill of T3;
This is crazy! 20µg is a lot and most poople ever need - even WITHOUT thyroid. If one starts on T3 then mostly by 2 times 2,5µg and then in control with blood work and a ongoing T4 Supplementation, that can't increase T3 and before of it all an ultrasonic of the thyroid, some bloodwork and supplements to fill the holes and gaps - off course under the supervision of a competent therapeut.

Here some background (G-Translate link to English): L-Thyroxin & Thybon: Zur verteilten Einnahme der Schilddrüsen-Hormone (Morgens, Mittags, Abends) - H.C.'s Blog

Best,
Hans

tallglass13

almost a week ago I took a single 75 mcg pill of T3; since then ive had awful diarrhea, bloating and occasional stomach cramps. it sounds very similar to whats described in this post:

im shocked that I would still be experiencing these kinds of debilitating side effects from a single (admittedly large) dose of T3; its almost as if the dosage of T3 somehow shocked my body or flipped a switch or something. I think that by now most of the T3 that I took a week ago should have already left my body, yet im still experiencing these negative side effects. curiously I didnt experience any other effects from the T3, neither good nor bad (no heart problems, no thyroid storm etc), persistent diarrhea, bloating and occasional stomach cramps were the only effect I experienced

currently im taking pepto-bismol to cope with the side effects and hoping that things return to normal after a few days, however I cant help but be worried that I screwed myself up. I read everywhere that T3 can cause diarrhea but im more curious about the detailed mechanism about how that works; it could shed some light on whats going on in my body right now :(
Ray has stated that t3 should only be taken in doses of 3-5 mcg . He stated his thyroid disappeared when taking to much thyroid, his throat had a dent in it. You took a weeks worth at once. Hope your going to be ok though. take care

TheCodez

In 2017 I took 150mcg T3 per day for months with no issues. That dosage isn't inherently problematic for everyone. Anyone can have any reaction to any dose of any pharmacological substance though.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals