Child With Flu, Fever

dfspcc20

Our 5 year old was diagnosed with the flu. He has typical symptoms: fever (less than 103.0), low energy, low appetite, and is sleeping a lot. Doctor recommended Tylenol and Motrin, and surprisingly, Tamiflu, even though he is otherwise healthy. That might have been brought about since my wife mentioned we have a vacation planned starting next week.

I want to avoid the Tylenol and Motrin, but want to try to get his appetite back. I also want to stay away from Tamiflu (I've seen the previous posts on it here).

I've tried giving him activated charcoal mixed in juice, but he was really turned off by the dark color and only drank a few sips. I retrospect, I should have put it in a container he couldn't see through.

Questions.

Has Ray ever written about fevers and their possible beneficial effects? My understanding is that they're a natural, adaptive response to a stressor (namely, an infection), thus trying to deliberately lower the fever might be counter-productive. But, with a fever, appetite is usually lower, so it seems to be a catch-22.

Also, I'm familiar with Ray's views on Aspirin vs Tylenol/Motrin/Ibuprofen. But I'm still extremely cautious about giving aspirin to a child. Has anyone here given it to their children? I doubt I'd ever find a doctor that would ever go along with that (not that that really means anything).

Last edited:

Giraffe

Has Ray ever written about fevers and their possible beneficial effects?

RP: For example, to treat a fever, to treat an infection a reptile will sit in the sun and let the temperature produce the fever that needed to activate the immune system. Humans do that by tightening up the blood vessels in the skin and reducing sweating.

Hot flashes, Night Sweats, the Relationship to Stress, KMUD Herb Doctors , 2012 | Ray Peat Forum

But, with a fever, appetite is usually lower
Cherry juice (or canned cherries) was the home remedy of choice in my childhood. Not sure, but I guess it's something to do with the sugar and the minerals, and it seems a bit s easier to swallow than other food (if you have a sore throat). How about bone broth?

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Cherry juice (or canned cherries) was the home remedy of choice in my childhood.

I'll try that.
I also make jello frequently. Grape juice seems to be the flavor the kids like the most, but I could try adding cherry juice.

How about bone broth?

We have some, but haven't tried giving it to him plain yet. I've gotten him to drink some coconut and orange juices.

tara

I'm no expert here, just another parent.

Fevers can help the body fight infection. If they get really high (40+ C?) they can be harmful in themselves. My policy with fevers in my kids is to medicate if they get above 39 C or they are really lifelessly miserable, but not try to get them down to normal temps, and not try to get them feeling they can bounce round the house instead of resting.

I want to avoid the Tylenol and Motrin, but want to try to get his appetite back.
Water, sugars and electrolytes may be helpful, but I wouldn't worry about trying to encourage appetite while there is a fever. Digestion takes energy, and they other priorities. Water, juice (diluted or not to taste), ginger ale, whatever they feel like.

I've tried giving him activated charcoal mixed in juice, but he was really turned off by the dark color and only drank a few sips. I retrospect, I should have put it in a container he couldn't see through.
I have occasionally persuaded my kids to swallow capsules - I haven't tried it with charcoal, but when given a choice betw sth they don't like in a capsule or out where they can taste it, they generally go for the capsule.

Cherry juice (or canned cherries) was the home remedy of choice in my childhood. Not sure, but I guess it's something to do with the sugar and the minerals, and it seems a bit s easier to swallow than other food (if you have a sore throat).
Yum. Stewed apples, or just the water from stewing apples, was one of our sick foods. :)

The jelly idea might be good for when they want something more.

Has anyone here given it to their children?
I'm not sure if it is a good idea, but I have given aspirin to my 8-9 yr old a few times, but only a low dose. <100mg can make a difference. When mine were 5 and younger I was not aware of Peat's writing, and they got paracetamol.
IICC, I think the concern with aspirin is Reye's syndrome. Peat said that in one study, the kids who took paracetamol got it more than the one's who had aspirin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals