Peat Said Vitamin E Should Be Used Sparingly In 2000 Interview

burtlancast

He then probably reacted to the excipients in the pill (allergic reaction ?), but certainly not to the tocopherol content.

The Shute brothers treated tens of thousands of patients with Vit E; they perfected their dosages according to the affliction ( coronary patients, intermittent claudication, stroke, rheumatic heart, high blood pressure, etc...).

They also wrote to have never witnessed abnormal hemorrhaging from Vit E supplementation, even at 3000 UI per day ! Not a word about Vit K in their books either.
And guess what, even though some studies show decreased Vit K content following Vit E supplementation, they agree it never caused excessive bleeding in humans (animals yes).

It's all in their 4 published books. You don't get any reaction from a single 400 UI pill.

Wilfrid

tara said:
Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:
I agree, woke up with pounding heart from taking 400 IU

You mean from a single 400 IU dose ?
Yeah, was kinda wanting to take a deep breath the entire day after I took it.

That's impossible.

The only people not tolerating 400 UI are those who had an attack of rheumatic heart disease while young, and whose heart valves got damaged.
But even these people start having heart problems only after about 7-10 days of 800 UI vit E supplementation, not before.

Something else caused your pounding heart.
I was doing everything exactly the same except that the feeling I had felt exactly like low sodium and what I'm feeling right now which is incredible panic which goes beyond fear for life, and confusion and pounding heart.

Can't high vit-E supplement reduce sodium retention? Could that have a rapid effect, problematic if sodium was lowinsh to begin with?

The natriuretic effect of vit E comes from the gamma-tocopherol ( as well as in the tocotrienol version of it ) part.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9262327

If you want to minimize that, you can buy a vitamin E with a ( way ) much higher ratio of alpha-tocopherol to gamma-tocopherol ( like Carlson E gems Plus or Deva's sunflower based vitamin E).
For someone who is still struggling with a low sodium/potassium ratio ( like most of hypothyroid people ), a " high " gamma vit E product should, I think, be avoid. I didn't read the work of the Shute brothers but I doubt that they used a product with a high gamma-tocopherol content ( if any ). That being said, it seems that most of the ( very ) positive research ( in the fifties and sixties ) was made with wheat germ oil extracted vit E which ratio is strongly in favor of the alpha-tocopherol part ( beneficial " impurities " in the ending product during the extraction process let aside ). Nowadays, most ( > 99,99% ) of the " mixed " tocopherol vit E product on the market are made with a high gamma/alpha tocopherol ratio.

scarlettsmum

This is a year old thread but it caught my eye. I was wondering if the absorption rate is the same for topical as well as oral for vitamin E? I have Haidut's tocovit and apply 200 IU into my scar every day, plus another 65 mg from Estroban on my face. Could this be potentially too much vitamin E especially as high blood pressure runs in my family and I had scarlett fever 3x when little and had a heart murmur which I have outgrown in teens. How long would it be safe to use this much vitamin E for before it's too much?

BigChad

This is a year old thread but it caught my eye. I was wondering if the absorption rate is the same for topical as well as oral for vitamin E? I have Haidut's tocovit and apply 200 IU into my scar every day, plus another 65 mg from Estroban on my face. Could this be potentially too much vitamin E especially as high blood pressure runs in my family and I had scarlett fever 3x when little and had a heart murmur which I have outgrown in teens. How long would it be safe to use this much vitamin E for before it's too much?

its not the same, i thought with topical you only absorb like 20%?

The natriuretic effect of vit E comes from the gamma-tocopherol ( as well as in the tocotrienol version of it ) part.
Endogenous natriuretic factors 7: biospecificity of a natriuretic gamma-tocopherol metabolite LLU-alpha. - PubMed - NCBI

If you want to minimize that, you can buy a vitamin E with a ( way ) much higher ratio of alpha-tocopherol to gamma-tocopherol ( like Carlson E gems Plus or Deva's sunflower based vitamin E).
For someone who is still struggling with a low sodium/potassium ratio ( like most of hypothyroid people ), a " high " gamma vit E product should, I think, be avoid. I didn't read the work of the Shute brothers but I doubt that they used a product with a high gamma-tocopherol content ( if any ). That being said, it seems that most of the ( very ) positive research ( in the fifties and sixties ) was made with wheat germ oil extracted vit E which ratio is strongly in favor of the alpha-tocopherol part ( beneficial " impurities " in the ending product during the extraction process let aside ). Nowadays, most ( > 99,99% ) of the " mixed " tocopherol vit E product on the market are made with a high gamma/alpha tocopherol ratio.

is thornes Ultimate E product fine? gamma and alpha tocopherol are in about a 1:1 ratio. 350mg alpha 350 gamma or more

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals