I agree, woke up with pounding heart from taking 400 IU

You mean from a single 400 IU dose ?

burtlancast

Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:

Yeah, was kinda wanting to take a deep breath the entire day after I took it.

That's impossible.

The only people not tolerating 400 UI are those who had an attack of rheumatic heart disease while young, and whose heart valves got damaged.
But even these people start having heart problems only after about 7-10 days of 800 UI vit E supplementation, not before.

Something else caused your pounding heart.

Blinkyrocket

burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:

That's impossible.

The only people not tolerating 400 UI are those who had an attack of rheumatic heart disease while young, and whose heart valves got damaged.
But even these people start having heart problems only after about 7-10 days of 800 UI vit E supplementation, not before.

I was doing everything exactly the same except that the feeling I had felt exactly like low sodium and what I'm feeling right now which is incredible panic which goes beyond fear for life, and confusion and pounding heart.

Blinkyrocket

I probably have heart disease, I wouldn't be surprised if I have 3-4 more years left to live, dying of natural causes not suicide, mind you

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blinkyrocket said:
I probably have heart disease, I wouldn't be surprised if I have 3-4 more years left to live, dying of natural causes not suicide, mind you

Vitamin E can raise blood pressure initially, and Peat has kind of warned about that too. He says that after a few days the blood pressure will return to normal as the body adjusts to the higher metabolism due to vitamin E. If you have not taken vitamin E supplement before I would not be surprised if you blood pressure shot up 5-10 points. In addition, vitamin E affects the heart similarly to thyroid - i.e. increases strength of contractions and increases pulse. The symptoms are the same as the ones people experience when they overdose thyroid. It should subside within a few days, and you can also try a lower dose.

J

jb116

Just to add to haidut's post, E also reduces iron absorption. Iron should be kept low in the diet, but when one virtually gets none plus has tons of calcium day to day, the very low iron levels can cause palps or pounding. Incidentally so will high levels of iron. Another reason to balance the E perhaps with lower dose.

sm1693

There is anecdotal evidence that too much Vit E actually lowers progesterone. This has been my experience.

Perhaps it's the buildup of excipients that cause this and not the E itself.

haidut

Forum Supporter
sm1693 said:
There is anecdotal evidence that too much Vit E actually lowers progesterone. This has been my experience.

Never heard of this happening. How do you know it is lowering progesterone? Vitamin E can lower testosterone in very high doses but I'd be extremely surprised if it lowers progesterone. Not a single study or case report exists officially that shows such an effect.

burtlancast

haidut said:
Blinkyrocket said:

Vitamin E can raise blood pressure initially, and Peat has kind of warned about that too. He says that after a few days the blood pressure will return to normal as the body adjusts to the higher metabolism due to vitamin E. If you have not taken vitamin E supplement before I would not be surprised if you blood pressure shot up 5-10 points. In addition, vitamin E affects the heart similarly to thyroid - i.e. increases strength of contractions and increases pulse. The symptoms are the same as the ones people experience when they overdose thyroid. It should subside within a few days, and you can also try a lower dose.

The 2 are tied toegether: the increased heart contractions induce the high blood pressure.
The Shute brothers wrote the increase in blood pressure will subside in about 4-8 weeks time, due to the natural developping/opening of the microcirculation by the Vit E ( it takes that long).

But in any case, one single 400 UI pill will never induce such symptoms as a pounding heart.

pboy

I'm guessing its because my diet is devoid of PUFA, but like for over a year now ive averaged little to no vit E in a day...something like 5% of the RDA I'm not sure what that is in IU and have had zero craving or desire for any vit E foods....similarly with vit K actually too, I'm guessing that's because I always have calcium over phosphate...I think these 2 are probably very correlated to PUFA and parathyroid in terms of need...but yea massive dosing pretty much anything is usually gonna have adverse effects, whether it be E or K, or a B vitamin pill, or vit C or anything

if you look at human milk or cows milk, even with the fact human has a pretty high PUFA content, the vit E is very low. And if you look at Peats diet recommendation, considering the carrot vit E probably isn't that bioavailable raw, lowfat milk, OJ, occasional shellfish, eggs...the vit E is very low, you'd mayne avg 10-15% RDA only a day and he thinks that's ok...which has been demonstarated in my exp. I think he only recommends it as a supplement to those rapidly detoxing pUFA as a defense mechanism but once you're flowing in a good clean diet, you probably have no need to worry about it. And even if you were detoxing, probably an abundance of carbs and coconut oil would potentially be just as protective without potential adverse effect

sm1693

haidut said:
sm1693 said:

Never heard of this happening. How do you know it is lowering progesterone? Vitamin E can lower testosterone in very high doses but I'd be extremely surprised if it lowers progesterone. Not a single study or case report exists officially that shows such an effect.

Just offering a different viewpoint. When I say anecdotal, I mean literally: hearsay, unproven. You are excellent at offering the study-proven viewpoint, please continue to do so. I am more interested in intuiting an answer to lingering health questions based off experimentation and feel.

I shouldn't have said "lower progesterone" per se, because I believe that too much E can inhibit steroidogenesis, as anything can that floods the ol' bod.

Giraffe

Blinkyrocket said:
Blinky, waking up with a pounding heart is something many of us experience (or did experience in the past). When the glycogen stores in the liver are empty, stress hormones raise.

burtlancast

pboy said:
I think he only recommends it as a supplement to those rapidly detoxing pUFA as a defense mechanism but once you're flowing in a good clean diet, you probably have no need to worry about it.

The Shute brothers advised 800 UI per day as a very efficient preventive for heart attacks.

This is due to the vascular effects of the alpha fraction of Vit E: it opens up and develops micro circulation and prevents abnormal clotting.

They wrote to have never witnessed Vit E, in any concentrations, cause excessive bleeding, although they never mentioned Vit K.( to the exception of women with already excessive menstruations)

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:

That's impossible.

I was doing everything exactly the same except that the feeling I had felt exactly like low sodium and what I'm feeling right now which is incredible panic which goes beyond fear for life, and confusion and pounding heart.

Can't high vit-E supplement reduce sodium retention? Could that have a rapid effect, problematic if sodium was lowinsh to begin with?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blinkyrocket said:
burtlancast said:
Blinkyrocket said:

The trouble breathing sign is also a common occurrence in allergic reactions. Some people on the forum have reported allergic reactions to vitamin E. What vitamin E are you taking and what it is mixed with (if anything)?

narouz

burtlancast said:
haidut said:
Blinkyrocket said:

The 2 are tied toegether: the increased heart contractions induce the high blood pressure.
The Shute brothers wrote the increase in blood pressure will subside in about 4-8 weeks time, due to the natural developping/opening of the microcirculation by the Vit E ( it takes that long).

But in any case, one single 400 UI pill will never induce such symptoms as a pounding heart.

Back like 30 years ago a young friend was helping me with some painting.
He was like 20 years old or so.
He smoked a lot, did a lot sit-ups and pull-ups, had just got kicked out of the army helicopter school,
got stoned a lot.

I gave him some of my vitamin E.
I believe I gave him 800iu.
He had a pretty intense reaction...heart pounding and/or beating fast...memory is a bit fuzzy there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals