On improving your vision by wearing the inverse glasses

ironfist

Ok, I've seen posts that suggest this is possible. For example, if your vision needs +2 to correct, you wear +1.75 glasses until it's comfortable.

Anyway, if someone is starting to develop presbyopia (age related far sightedness), where would you get the right glasses? I'm not looking for reading glasses. I'm looking for glasses that make near sightedness WORSE. Do they make like negative glasses? I may be missing the reason for this, but I believe I have it right. You want to make it HARDER for your mind to read at your specific place, and then when you compensate, you go down another value. And then finally you don't need glasses anymore.

Feasibly.

Ok, I've seen posts that suggest this is possible. For example, if your vision needs +2 to correct, you wear +1.75 glasses until it's comfortable.

Anyway, if someone is starting to develop presbyopia (age related far sightedness), where would you get the right glasses? I'm not looking for reading glasses. I'm looking for glasses that make near sightedness WORSE. Do they make like negative glasses? I may be missing the reason for this, but I believe I have it right. You want to make it HARDER for your mind to read at your specific place, and then when you compensate, you go down another value. And then finally you don't need glasses anymore.

Feasibly.
My dad told me about this 20+ years ago. It seems plausible to me.

Iceman2016

I think the challenge here might be that farsightedness is an issue of the actual aging of the eye (as opposed to nearsighted) where the ability to focus on up close things becomes limited by the lack of flexibility of the eye tissue with time. I think a viable solution would be somehow being able to reverse the stiffening of those tissues. This is basically what a lot of anti aging researchers are trying to do with different body tissues in general.

That's not to say the inverse glasses thing wouldn't work. I guess you'll just have to try it and see what happens. I'd be curious to know the outcome myself!

glycinedreams

I'm used to calling them "differentials" but this is essentially what I've done. A few years ago I began at -3.75 and -3.5 and now I'm sitting at -2.5 and -2.25.

The progress comes and goes. The less time I spend on "close up" things like screens then the better my vision improves. It's been a very long and slow journey, but it's working, so far. Others have been able to do it faster when they're able to focus on the words with lower powered glasses.

Essentially, you're reducing your lens and challenging your eyes and eventually they adapt by clearing up the blur the reduced lenses create.

Currently for books and phones = I take my glasses off completely every time.
For computer screens = Very low powered glasses, like -1 or something as of right now. Maybe -1.25.
For day to day, anything that's NOT night time = the lenses above that I mentioned, -2.5 and -2.25
For night time, especially driving, but just for safety = I add .25 to each lens (basically the glasses I was wearing 6 mo ago), so -2.75 and -2.5.

I went really deep down this rabbit hole a few years ago and now I just progress slowly and don't think too much about it. I built the habits and now I let it ride. I think I could see faster progress if I tried a lot harder, but it's tough. The biggest habits have been reducing screen time in general, especially phones. But I work on a screen, so taking frequent breaks and then taking 2-3 breaks a day to look very far distances for 5-15 min. And then getting hobbies that involve no close up work.

The theory is you're changing the shape of your eye BACK to what it should've been before close up work and then glasses screwed you up.

Initially you probably had a spasm in your eye (i don't know technical terms too well anymore). This was caused from too much game boy or reading or low light class room work, for example. This lead you to get glasses. Then the glasses exacerbate the problem. Slowly you adapt and your eye shape changes. This is the ELI5 though but yeah, I think there's at least something you can do yourself like I explained above. I also eat liver frequently for vit A.

Best of luck.

P.S. just re-read your post and I don't think I really answered your question - sorry! You can get "plus lenses" for reading from any drug store in America. You don't need a script. I'd be careful playing with plus lenses though when you could just reduce. You said age related far-sighted, which is the opposite of what I described, whoops. Not familiar with how to fix that if it's possible.

Phosphor

There are ways out there if you search. However, I don't think that relates to presbyopia in particular, but to the change in vision due to doing close-up work at a young age, which causes the eyes to change. Then they do the exact opposite thing of what they should, which is "correct" for the changed eye shape by giving the person glasses that return them to 20-20. Then, of course, they continue to do close-up work and force the eyeball to change shape in the same direction. What SHOULD be done to correct, is the opposite, but they don't.

OP
I

ironfist

Like, I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists. From what I've read, it sounds like you're just supposed to use the level of glasses below yours. But if you are existing between not needing glasses and needing the lowest level, I don't think specific glasses exist for this. This glass which I am looking for would be one level blurrier than none. I don't know why it would exist in the first place. Who wants glasses that make your vision worse?

OP
I

ironfist

I'm used to calling them "differentials" but this is essentially what I've done. A few years ago I began at -3.75 and -3.5 and now I'm sitting at -2.5 and -2.25.

The progress comes and goes. The less time I spend on "close up" things like screens then the better my vision improves. It's been a very long and slow journey, but it's working, so far. Others have been able to do it faster when they're able to focus on the words with lower powered glasses.

Essentially, you're reducing your lens and challenging your eyes and eventually they adapt by clearing up the blur the reduced lenses create.

Currently for books and phones = I take my glasses off completely every time.
For computer screens = Very low powered glasses, like -1 or something as of right now. Maybe -1.25.
For day to day, anything that's NOT night time = the lenses above that I mentioned, -2.5 and -2.25
For night time, especially driving, but just for safety = I add .25 to each lens (basically the glasses I was wearing 6 mo ago), so -2.75 and -2.5.

I went really deep down this rabbit hole a few years ago and now I just progress slowly and don't think too much about it. I built the habits and now I let it ride. I think I could see faster progress if I tried a lot harder, but it's tough. The biggest habits have been reducing screen time in general, especially phones. But I work on a screen, so taking frequent breaks and then taking 2-3 breaks a day to look very far distances for 5-15 min. And then getting hobbies that involve no close up work.

The theory is you're changing the shape of your eye BACK to what it should've been before close up work and then glasses screwed you up.

Initially you probably had a spasm in your eye (i don't know technical terms too well anymore). This was caused from too much game boy or reading or low light class room work, for example. This lead you to get glasses. Then the glasses exacerbate the problem. Slowly you adapt and your eye shape changes. This is the ELI5 though but yeah, I think there's at least something you can do yourself like I explained above. I also eat liver frequently for vit A.

Best of luck.

P.S. just re-read your post and I don't think I really answered your question - sorry! You can get "plus lenses" for reading from any drug store in America. You don't need a script. I'd be careful playing with plus lenses though when you could just reduce. You said age related far-sighted, which is the opposite of what I described, whoops. Not familiar with how to fix that if it's possible.
Thanks for relating your story. Were you saying that by having some time where you ignore screens, your vision is improving? I try to do this sometimes. I spend a lot of time on my phone.

Your are correct, you didn't really answer my question, as I was asking about not being able to see close things.

I believe I explained it in my previous post. I an uncertain if this type of glasses exists at all!

OP
I

ironfist

Another thing I am curious about, my vision is blurry sometimes.

But.

If I cross my eyes I can read just fine. Clearly, there are two of everything if I do this, but if I pick a side and read from it, this is clear.

While I release my eyes, the vision is clearer for a few minutes ahead of when it gets blurry again.

Maybe doing this is flexing some muscle(?) which is pulling everything into more focus.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals