Is wearing tight clothes and laying down on your stomach over-time Dangerous ? You might find this interesting

JamesGatz

I've been keeping up with the story of Steven Crowder - a conservative YouTuber I'm sure most of you are familiar with - he recently had to get surgery to blow open his rib cage - I will show you what this means:

This is the full video but basically his rib cage was collapsing in on his heart and lungs making it extremely difficult for him to breathe - this is the full video but I posted an image below too:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9w9qc27KQ&ab_channel=StevenCrowder

Screenshot (189).png

He seemed to have - Pectus excavatum (PE) is an abnormal development of the rib cage, in which the breastbone caves in, causing the chest to “sink” inward. This developmental abnormality often presents at birth, and can be mild or severe.

In layman's terms this is basically when your rib cage collapses inwards and begins to crush on the heart and the lungs - making it extremely hard for you to breathe

This is an extreme example (it does not have to be this severe to give you noticeable breathing issues):
pectus_excavatum.jpg
2664209_cln63_2p0245f1.png

A normal rib cage should not cave inward - if it does - it may be the reason you have trouble breathing alongside other things-

ribcage.jpg

The solution for Crowder was to have a surgery to insert multiple metal rods in his ribcage to leverage the rib cage outward - he almost died from the surgery from a collapsed lung and it is safe to say it was a serious operation

E5ulHy-WYAYmI6V.jpg

Interestingly enough - doctors believe this is a condition you care born with but I do not think this is the case from my own experimentation

I have seen a few threads on the internet who experience Pectus excavatum (PE) after wearing very tight clothes or a very tight bra (I have seen women do this to make their breasts appear smaller) - the result is the tight clothes compresses the rib cage ... which then compresses the organs inside of the rib cage i.e. the heart and the lungs having untold consequences on your breathing and heart

For me personally - I have induced breathing problems by laying on my stomach on my bed like so -
I notice that if I continuously lay on my stomach on top of my bed for a few days - I will start to have breathing problems and my rib cage will begin to look slightly collapsed inward - suggesting that the pressure I am inducing is indeed having a noticeable negative effect on the ribcage which then compresses my organs

two-sleeping-positions-to-avoid-722x406.jpg

Luckily it is completely reversible without a visit from the doctors - If you believe you have it to an extent I would suggest trying out these exercises by ATHLEAN-X to see if you see any immediate improvement in your breathing - many people say it is a cosmetic issue but it is so much more than this - this condition prevents your lungs from expanding fully and gives you the sensation that you can't breathe - I would strongly recommend watching the full video to get a good idea of this -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzYzWYtkvI&ab_channel=ATHLEAN-X%E2%84%A2

I think it's also good to have a discussion on this for tight clothes and laying on your stomach being dangerous - it seems very reasonable to me that applying pressure on your rib cage inward overtime - will eventually cause your rib cage to collapse inward as well - I would check to see if the exercises I posted above help you and if they do - you can go about resolving the issue over-time

Attachments

• pectus_excavatum.jpg
    pectus_excavatum.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 7

LUH 3417

Ray said sleeping on your stomach is probably the healthiest position, it’s the position most children are naturally inclined to sleep in

Jam

I have been sleeping on my stomach for 49 years with no signs of PE.

RealNeat

Ray said sleeping on your stomach is probably the healthiest position, it’s the position most children are naturally inclined to sleep in
I disagree whole heartedly.

As children were are so much more limber as we age our bones and cartilage mature making it very stressful on the organs to be laid on by say a 200 pound man.

Many children throughout history have been wrapped and sleep in their backs, and if stomach sleeping does occur there is a risk of suffocating. I've also seen the kids who sleep on their stomach push their butts in the air, maybe that is an instinct to avoid over compression of the organs

There is no good way to position the neck when stomach sleeping and it's even more severe with a pillow. No/ minimal pillow flat surface sleeping like the Japanese seems best. Back and side. Also lessens mouth breathing.

RealNeat

I have been sleeping on my stomach for 49 years with no signs of PE.
I think it's important to consider the give of the bed being slept on.

But both a bed with give and a firm one may cause their own set of issues when stomach sleeping. Either with the neck or the compression of organs/ inability of lungs/ ribcage to expand.

A good video on sleep position mitigation
View: https://youtu.be/-Qxmc4E7IwA

Last edited:
OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

All I will say to users is to try the following exercise at home - I timestamped it - you don't even need a band to do the exercise you can just imagine like your arms are going through resistance I did it myself no band needed and it still worked very well - if you find that you get immense comfort with breathing while doing this exercise - I think it is possible you may have it to maybe a small extent- I do think it is what naturally happens when pressure is given to the ribcage to collapse inward

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzYzWYtkvI&t=253s&ab_channel=ATHLEAN-X%E2%84%A2

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I disagree whole heartedly.

As children were are so much more limber as we age our bones and cartilage mature making it very stressful on the organs to be laid on by say a 200 pound man.

Many children throughout history have been wrapped and sleep in their backs, and if stomach sleeping does occur there is a risk of suffocating. I've also seen the kids who sleep on their stomach push their butts in the air, maybe that is an instinct to avoid over compression of the organs

There is no good way to position the neck when stomach sleeping and it's even more severe with a pillow. No/ minimal pillow flat surface sleeping like the Japanese seems best. Back and side. Also lessens mouth breathing.
100% agreed - I have noticed the same - it seems like the most awkward sleeping position for me for the entire body in my experience

Ben.

i am not a fan of sleeping on the stomache mostly because its a catastrophy for your cervical spine. However, if one has issues breathing properly/deep, laying on the chest actually helps alot.

RealNeat

i am not a fan of sleeping on the stomache mostly because its a catastrophy for your cervical spine. However, if one has issues breathing properly/deep, laying on the chest actually helps alot.
The mechanism of that is likely the accumulation of Co2 from not being able inhale or exhale properly

SamYo123

Ignore athlean x and do functional patterns instead they have results that athlean doesn’t

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

RealNeat

Ignore athlean x and do functional patterns instead they have results that athlean doesn’t
Yes agreed. Functional patterns makes a lot of sense and feels good. Though athleanx also has its place in certain topics.

Perry Staltic

Is that also not at an angle with head down?

Maybe in some cases with special equipment in ICUs, but in regular care they teach patients with low blood sats to self-prone (lay on their front) which brings up blood sats.

RealNeat

Maybe in some cases with special equpmwnt in ICUs, but in regular care they teach patients with low blood sats to self-prone (lay on their front) which brings up blood sats.
Is the mechanism I stated above (co2 increase) the reason or moving mucus/ pus around to allow gas exchange from a pneumonia like condition?

Perry Staltic

Is the mechanism I stated above (co2 increase) the reason or moving mucus/ pus around to allow gas exchange from a pneumonia like condition?

Less lung tissue is compressed in the prone position, so more volume, more gas exchange.

Cloudhands

when i was skinnier (like 10% bf) it was easy to sleep on my back, but i cant at all otherwise

Waynish

Silly theory; if tight clothes did this then females would have way higher rates of this particular bone deformation, especially in the west! Tight clothes do not make your chest cave in, but I'm not recommend tight clothes!

Crowder had elective pec surgery while his wife was in labor and his only ex-colleague who isn't under an NDA went public years ago about him being a closet homosexual. Crowder loves dressing in drag to "own the left" and he has done so hundreds of times... Another fake conservative leader in the closet who divorces his wife despite just having children, not to mention is a multi-multi-millionaire. This is part of his victim narrative, come on @JamesGatz
i.e.
View: https://twitter.com/CandaceOwensPod/status/1651693149587210241?lang=en

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom