Normal Serum Copper, Very High Free Serum Copper

BearWithMe

These are results of my recent bloodwork:

copper: 15,9 μmol/l (ref. range 12,4-20,6)
ceruloplasmin: 0,21 g/l (ref. range 0,15-0,30)
free copper: 9,2 μmol/l (ref. range 0-1,6)

Serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels are perfectly within range, but my free coper seems to be very high.

What could this mean? Am I copper toxic?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Oh and my copper content in urine was < 0,90 μmol (ref. range < 1,26)

Daniil

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Awesome find! Replied in your thread

Daniil

To be honest, your urine copper test seems a bit high to me. I'd retake it if I were you.

Daniil

The amount of copper in the urine depends on the free copper. I think if you ate copper, and then stopped and after a while went to take the test-the level will quickly decrease due to accumulation in the tissues. This idea confirms that a biopsy is the only 100% method of diagnosis

Daniil

I also think that "Wilson's syndrome" is nothing more than an adaptation of organisms to low levels of copper in foods. But when a person goes on a diet with a lot of copper (such as peating) it is suicidal for him.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I also think that "Wilson's syndrome" is nothing more than an adaptation of organisms to low levels of copper in foods. But when a person goes on a diet with a lot of copper (such as peating) it is suicidal for him.
That would actually make a lot of sense.

Body does exactly the same thing with some other nutrients - like calcium for example.

That would also mean there should be a possibility to adapt back to normal levels of copper in diet, which would mean that Wilsons is curable

Daniil

That would actually make a lot of sense.

Body does exactly the same thing with some other nutrients - like calcium for example.

That would also mean there should be a possibility to adapt back to normal levels of copper in diet, which would mean that Wilsons is curable
I think, of course, there is such a possibility. However, we can not take into account the amount of copper in the water.

Daniil

By the way, I have a low parathyroid hormone, but the calcium in my blood is normal.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Yes. High calcium may indicate that you have hyperparathyroidism. Have you checked your parathyroid gland?
No, but I definitely need to do that soon.

My diet was very low in calcium in the past. Around 250mg a day, maybe lower. I think what happened is exactly what we described above:
Low calcium intake -> increased calcium absorbtion and bone dissolving -> high blood calcium

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Is there a possibility that we just have deranged copper metabolism caused by supplementing zinc without copper? What doses you was using? For how long?

Daniil

Is there a possibility that we just have deranged copper metabolism caused by supplementing zinc without copper? What doses you was using? For how long?
I took zinc from time to time and at a dosage of no more than 45mg/day. How can this mess up the metabolism of copper, is there any information on this topic?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I took zinc from time to time and at a dosage of no more than 45mg/day. How can this mess up the metabolism of copper, is there any information on this topic?
45mg is very large dose that definitely can cause copper metabolism problems.

One forum members once said that selling zinc supplements without copper should be a crime. I 100% agree with that.

Give me a second, I will find some links for you

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

If ceruloplasmin is low due to copper deficiency and you are taking so much zinc or just any supplemental zinc at all you will kill yourself slowly as your bodily proteins that are dependent on copper will fall apart without it, your skin health for example is heavily dependent on it, all your joints, etc...

You are right to be worried about that zinc. For a normal individual without copper/iron/zinc imbalances that much zinc will cause problems relatively quickly by preventing copper absorption which will affect iron metabolism.

"Metallothionein is involved in the important mechanism by which excessive zinc (Zn) intake can block Cu absorption (32). Zinc is a stronger inducer of metallothionein production than Cu, yet Cu can displace Zn from metallothionein (5). Large doses of Zn can trap Cu in the intestinal mucosal cells bound to metallothionein until the mucosal cells are shed."

Back in 2017, I induced a copper deficiency from several months of high zinc supplementation. I discovered the copper deficiency this year and began copper supplementation. My copper levels are back in normal range. The copper supplement has helped tremendously with my anxiety, muscle twitching, histamine issues, and joint pain.

the moment of my life were everything started to deteriorate from my brain to my joins,severe joints weakness and pain while doing exercice,i was eating a bunch of hamburger full of zinc from the beef,and nearly 0 copper sources,this summer i started eating lamb liver,my joints sttrenghtened hugely
Problem with your dose is it really doesnt matter if you took copper or not, 40-50mg of zinc a day is too high because thats when MT gets high enough where it will start to sequester most of the copper you take in instead of absorbing it. If you took 50mg and say you had 10mg from food or something, your MT in the gut is so high you will barely get any copper in.

Agree @youngsinatra I supplemented zinc years ago and it made me feel weird
Same experience here too. Made me copper deficient.

After some trial and error I concluded I had messed up my copper levels and started aggressively supplementing copper glycinate and well as chlorophyll, total 4-10 mg copper per day. The problem seemed to be very slowly subsiding (taking horse chestnut may have helped as well).

However, any small amount of zinc supplement will now set me back almost to the beginning of my recovery from this problem (another clue that I'm right about the deficiency). I have histamine intolerance and people with HIT theoretically have heavier demands on copper due to its need in enzymes that break histamine down and tend to have low levels. Having experimented with zinc to deal with some estrogen and viral issues the other week I'm now dealing with worsened vein problems all over. Fluid pools under my eyes more easily which is particularly stressful for me. Energy drinks seem to make the problem much worse as well.

There are so many more posts like that if you search the forum a bit

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals