Nervous/Anxious Energy After Eating Fruit - Blood Sugar Issues?

julcreutz

Sadly I have no blood glucose meter, so I can't test it myself.
But every time I eat fruit, specifically tested that with Watermelons and Mangos, I get some kind of nervious/anxious energy within me. About 30 minutes after eating it, I feel pretty hot and sweaty, kind of disgusting, maybe even a bit dehydrated? Definitely doesnt feel good. And I also can't concentrate well on anything. This doesn't happen with starch (sweet potatoes in my case) (although I must say that I always eat starch with saturated fat and protein!).
Quantity was about half a watermelon/one whole mango.

Does this indicate blood sugar issues or some sort of food intolerance?

Maljam

Could be some sort of allergy or irritation. Unlikely to be blood sugar related I think. Maybe try eating some fat with them like cheese maybe if you wanted to experiment if not just avoid them.

julcreutz

Could be some sort of allergy or irritation. Unlikely to be blood sugar related I think. Maybe try eating some fat with them like cheese maybe if you wanted to experiment if not just avoid them.

Yeah, could be. Interesting to note is that that feeling came quicker after eating the mango (about 10-15 minutes after it I could feel it), but the watermelon takes a bit longer.

This is how >7 blood sugar makes me feel

Damn. I really wish I could test my BG.

julcreutz

Update from me:

I've been consuming liver the past few days again after not consuming it for at least 5 months (I was following low VA diet, which I believe wrecked my health in many aspects!). I have not had these reactions to fruit anymore. Also, my tongue is less coated. Only downside is that I haven't pooped a lot, don't know what to think of that. But I don't feel constipated, so I don't worry much.

marcar72

Update from me:

I've been consuming liver the past few days again after not consuming it for at least 5 months (I was following low VA diet, which I believe wrecked my health in many aspects!). I have not had these reactions to fruit anymore. Also, my tongue is less coated. Only downside is that I haven't pooped a lot, don't know what to think of that. But I don't feel constipated, so I don't worry much.

I've noticed the same thing regarding bowel movements while increasing liver consumption over the last month or so. I think it's got something to do with copper positively modulating immune response in the gut from some article I glanced at a day or so ago. It was an instance of where I was trying to look up something else regarding copper and came upon it coincidentally. Something to do with the zinc/copper ratio if I remember correctly. :2cents:

julcreutz

I couldn't find that article I stumbled upon recently but Googled "copper antibacterial" and lo and behold that is probably the mechanism of it. :2cents:

Couldn't it also just be because the liver is so nutrient-dense, so the body takes much longer to digest it, thus slowing everything down? Then it may not be optimal to eat it multiple times a week...

lvysaur

Couldn't it also just be because the liver is so nutrient-dense, so the body takes much longer to digest it, thus slowing everything down?
My hunch is that liver digests pretty quickly.

Looking at the texture of liver meat, both raw and cooked, it's more similar to something like scallops or eggs or other shellfish. It doesn't feel like a slow digesting protein (beef, lamb, pork to a lesser extent). I would bet it digests very quickly.

jet9

Sadly I have no blood glucose meter, so I can't test it myself.
But every time I eat fruit, specifically tested that with Watermelons and Mangos, I get some kind of nervious/anxious energy within me. About 30 minutes after eating it, I feel pretty hot and sweaty, kind of disgusting, maybe even a bit dehydrated? Definitely doesnt feel good. And I also can't concentrate well on anything. This doesn't happen with starch (sweet potatoes in my case) (although I must say that I always eat starch with saturated fat and protein!).
Quantity was about half a watermelon/one whole mango.

Does this indicate blood sugar issues or some sort of food intolerance?

I had similar experience. Especially when i went 0 starch and was getting all carbs from fruits. Lots of energy, but kind of anxious energy and very hard to concentrate on mental tasks / work. Adding lots of saturated fat fixed it somewhat, but for now i decided to keep my fruit intake < 25g fructose / daily and to get carbs from starches. With this approach i can get away with lower fat in my diet and not feel anxious.