Natural Bodybuilding Competition With RP's-style Diet

@tyw and @Westside PUFAs when im doing low/now fat i dont find anything starchy appetizing except bread made with no oil ofc and some kind of honey or jam on. Potatoes, rice etc does not taste much. How do you get by with eating those foods?

Everything tastes bland by itself besides ripe fruit. Sweet fruit is the only non-condiment food besides maybe some vegetables like raw carrot or raw cucumber but one is not getting sufficient carbohydrate calories from raw carrot or cucumber. A lot of things taste bland without condiments. Salt is a condiment and an essential nutrient. Everything tastes bland without salt, besides fruit. Meat is bland without salt. Meat is marinated with plenty of salt and sweet tangy sour marinades. Nuts are roasted and salted. Olives are soaked in salty brine. Bacon is cured with salt. Bacon without salt would be disgusting and unsalted butter is disgusting. Unsalted hard boiled eggs? Disgusting. I eat rice and potatoes with salty homemade no oil condiments. Usually a tomato base, like tomato paste or a crushed tomato sauce. Maple syrup, mustard and ACV is a good baked potato wedge dip. Salsa. Non-estrogenic herbs. Garlic and onion. I don't like sweet with my starch except for using maple syrup for a dipping sauce or on pancakes. I found that lowering my salt intake has adjusted my taste buds to appreciate the salt I do add. Of course adding butter, cream and cheese would increase the amount of dopamine dramatically with every bite, but unfortunately that causes problems for me like adipose tissue enlargement and blood sugar disregulation so luckily the no butter or cream added to my mashed potatoes still tastes great. Yellow potaotes are natually buttery. The biggest obstacle in eating lots of potatoes is the amount of cooking you have to do. Rice is simple. You just throw it in a rice cooker.

Last edited:

superhuman

I am boring. Plain potatoes are tasty. Plain sweet potatoes are delicious. Rice + soy sauce + some sesame oil is comfort food as far as I'm concerned. Rice crackers are awesome. Blame my Asian tastebuds and years of low-budget bachelor eating ;) , but I am perfectly content with "plain natural tastes". Also for some reason, I never developed major affinity to the typical hyper-palatable junk food despite both their availability and semi-regular consumption when I was younger.

I have nothing to offer in terms of how to structure one's diet to one's own tastes. Do what you decide is best.

Get you. For me buying fruits like pears, dates, oranges, grapes etc just taste so much better. Im an expert at finding ripe fruit also which is key, but when you do that i can just really enjoy it and it taste as good as anything i can get. The only issue is of course, seasons, ripeness, price etc etc

btw i know some put sugar in the water they cook the rice in to make it sweeter. Tried that? if so is it good?

superhuman

Everything taste bland by itself besides ripe fruit. Sweet fruit is the only non-condiment food besides maybe some vegetables like raw carrot or raw cucumber but one is not getting sufficient carbohydrate calories from raw carrot or cucumber. A lot of things taste bland without condiments. Salt is a condiment and an essential nutrient. Everything tastes bland without salt, besides fruit. Meat is bland without salt. Meat is marinated with plenty of salt and sweet tangy sour marinades. Nuts are roasted and salted. Olives are soaked in salty brine. Bacon is cured with salt. Bacon without salt would be disgusting and unsalted butter is disgusting. Unsalted hard boiled eggs? Disgusting. I eat rice and potatoes with salty homemade no oil condiments. Usually a tomato base, like tomato paste or a crushed tomato sauce. Maple syrup, mustard and ACV is a good baked potato wedge dip. Salsa. Non-estrogenic herbs. Garlic and onion. I don't like sweet with my starch except for using maple syrup for a dipping sauce or on pancakes. I found that lowering my salt intake has adjusted my taste buds to appreciate the salt I do add. Of course adding butter, cream and cheese would increase the amount of dopamine dramatically with every bite, but unfortunately that causes problems for me like adipose tissue enlargement and blood sugar disregulation so luckily the no butter or cream added to my mashed potatoes still tastes great. Yellow potaotes are natually buttery. The biggest obstacle in eating lots of potatoes is the amount of cooking you have to do. Rice is simple. You just throw it in a rice cooker.

Get you and fully agree. Like i said above when the choice is between ripe fruit and potatoes or rice the decision is not even close for me. No preporation time, cooking etc and taste is so much better and im a bachelor student so i like just eating on the go.

Get you and fully agree. Like i said above when the choice is between ripe fruit and potatoes or rice the decision is not even close for me. No preporation time, cooking etc and taste is so much better and im a bachelor student so i like just eating on the go.

I spent a few months in Hawaii recently and the idea of a tropical fruit paradise is a myth. Farmers are stingy with their fruit. The fruit is very often not sweet enough. So much of it in the stores isn't even grown there. It is imported from the mainland. To get good fruit that is grown there takes a lot of effort and networking and it has to be the season. The season is very important. Some assume that everything grows year round in the tropics. It doesn't. Lychees fruit around June there so you can get good ones if you know a good farmer and can get a good price. I got some good papaya and oranges but there was a lot of bad ones in the process of finding good ones. Like so bad it was depressing. I was excited to try starfruit and found that starfruit is naturally not that sweet, no matter how well it's grown. Rambutan was really good but doesn't last that long even in the fridge. Finding good fruit there was almost like a drug deal. But even if I owned my own acreage there and grew the best most sweetest fruit, I would still eat starch for dinner. Fruit doesn't satisfy me like starch does but fruit satisfies a sweet craving and supplies natural vitamin C and other undiscovered/unstudied phytonutrients like morin, apigenin, and naringin. The fact that starches are easy to obtain, don't spoil like fruit and are cheap is only a bonus when one is a stachivore. It's not the main factor.

Last edited:

Philomath

Sounds like a starch endorsement by twy. I tend to agree. Starch aka glucose = low body fat*

* so long as it's not a delivery vessel for polyunsaturated cooking/condiment oil, monounsaturated olive oil and/too much saturated dairy fat like butter, sour cream and cheese. ;PUFAs, Westside, pufa university press, 2016.,.

Organic rice pudding... milk, egg, sugar, rice and vanilla. Been working well for me.

thms

Would fruit / fruit juices / milk fill up muscle glycogen just as good as starches do such as rice / potatoes ???

I cant find a backed up answer on this question so far

beachbum

Nevermind

Last edited:

Dobbler

Would fruit / fruit juices / milk fill up muscle glycogen just as good as starches do such as rice / potatoes ???

I would like to know this aswell. Fruits are 50/50 glucose fructose so if you get 100g carbs from fruit, that would be 50g of glucose that goes to muscles, but how does that 50g fructose replenish the muscles?

EIRE24

No, I think starches fill it up better

beachbum

anyone else have any info on this?
I found this from RP articles:

A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions.
Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

He does explain fructose, but I would like it spelt out for me in non science..lol

beachbum

Here is another RP article:

Although many things condition the rate at which blood sugar rises after eating carbohydrates, and affect the way in which blood glucose is metabolized, making the idea of a “glycemic index” highly misleading, it is true that blood sugar and insulin responses to different foods have some meaningful effects on physiology and health.

Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.

Although pure fructose and sucrose produce less glycemia than glucose and starch do, the different effects of fruits and grains on the health can't be reduced to their effects on blood sugar.

Orange juice and sucrose have a lower glycemic index than starch or whole wheat or white bread, but it is common for dietitians to argue against the use of orange juice, because its index is the same as that of Coca Cola. But, if the glycemic index is very important, to be rational they would have to argue that Coke or orange juice should be substituted for white bread.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

redlight

I don't think its possible to maintain any muscle getting below 10% body fat,, you will look like a skeleton unless your willing to take some drugs / hormones

thms

It
I don't think its possible to maintain any muscle getting below 10% body fat,, you will look like a skeleton unless your willing to take some drugs / hormones

It is possible for sure but it requires willpower and hard on your hormones most competiters dont maintain this conditon very long
Bottom line is when They look THE best They feel THE worst

DaveFoster

No; the body preferentially uses glucose (starch) to fill muscle glycogen moreso than liver glycogen.

I eat no starch, and I've been getting solid gains in the gym for the past couple years. You just need to eat a lot more sugar calories than starch calories.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals