Amenorrhea, Hormones, Birth Control

lilhunk11

I had sent this email to Dr. Peat and would like to know if anyone on the forum has some advice as well.

Hi Dr. Peat,

I have been following your advice on certain diet and exercise theories for about the past seven months. I had heard about you from a few trainers at the gym I go to. The reason I started "Peating" was because I have not been able to have a menstrual cycle for about two years.

My history: In High School my cycles were not always regular. Sometimes I would skip a month and they didn't always last the same length of time. At one time my acne was very bad and I got put on Accutane along with a birth control pill. This did help to clear up my acne but I know that Accutane can be very hard on your body and give you very dry skin. The birth control pill did help to regulate my periods but once I got off of it, my periods became sporadic and eventually I stopped having them.
When I was in collage, I had lost a lot of weight from dieting and exercise but I was never big to begin with. I always held my weight around 135 and I am 5'6". In collage had dropped to about 117lbs. That was a nine month phase and then I began to prepare for bodybuilding competitions in the "bikini" category. When doing this, I first went through a "bulking" phase of eating more around 3200cal , doing less cardio, and more weight lifting. My weight had gone up to about 145. Then I took a few months to trim down for my competition. I did more cardio that involed HIIT or Tabata styles and still mainly did weight lifting. I slowly decreased my calories to 1700-1600.
I have done one other competition where I was able to keep my calories a bit higher and do less cardio than I used to since I have gained more muscle and my metabolism has increased. My dieting calories were around 1600 and on "reefed days" 2000 calories. What surprises me is that even through my bulking phases, I still don't have a menstrual cycle. I would think that my body should be able to have a cycle since I am under less stress. For about the last seven months I was eating 2745 calories (140g protein, 400g carbs, 65g fats.) Still doing weightlifting six times a week and cardio once a week (things like hitt or tabata circuits that only took about 16min.) I am starting to lean out again but nothing vigorous. calories currently at 2075. weight at 134 lbs. 5'6" age 21.

I was starting to think that I had a hormone imbalance and went into a family doctor. I had some blood levels done and we also discussed birth control. I'll leave a link of my results for you to look at below.

(was not able to add the link)
If you aren't able to open the link summarized it says:
glucose is normal. LDL is slightly elevated at 133 normal being below 100. Thyroid, FSH levels and prolactin are normal. Estrogen is low.

I would like to get your advice if you do think something is off with my levels. I had told them that if I were to suppliment something, I would prefer it to be natural. I know to get more natural substances or hormones, I would most likely need to go to a homeopath or naturopath. If you have anything you would recommend me taking or where I could get it, that would be of great help! When we had discussed birth control I expressed how It could help me get my period back but once I go off of it my concern is they could once again stop. Leaving my body to be reliant on it.
I am getting married in the next few months making birth control more necessary. I had told them I would prefer one lower in estrogen because of the research I have read from you. They had suggested the "mini pill" which mothers take who are breastfeeding. It has mostly progesterone and low estrogen. Although it isn't very strong which could lead to pregnancy. we also discussed different forms of IUD's. The only thing about IUD's is that they can make women's periods lighter or all together stop which is probably not what I need.

Wow Sorry this is so long haha. Like I said any advice or suggestions you may have, I would greatly appreciate!

Sincerely,

Lauren R.

Mad

Hi Lauren,
Many things in your story remind me of myself.
My cycles were irregular in high school, then eventually I stopped having them. I have always been an athlete and got big into running track and cross country in high school - we trained hard. But, I became obsessed with exercise and nutrition. I was the athlete's form of anorexic. After my last cross country season, I did regain my menstruation but it was still very irregular. Maybe you can relate with the way you have meticulously tracked your diet for so long? Bodybuilding is a cesspool for eating disorders. I considered entering competitions at one time. I followed an very strict diet and very strict and intense exercise regimen in college. I don't mean to project my history onto you, so it's possible that I've misjudged what you're going through.

I'm 24 now. My cycle is pretty regular, and I think that is partly due to taking progesterone. I have tried both Progest-E and haidut's Progestene. I notice good effects from them (help with acne, cycles very regular) but I also have had some issues with them so I am currently trying to figure that out right now. I also recently tested my hormones and had low estrogen, but with my acne issues I can't help but think I am still estrogen dominant. So, progesterone is a tentative suggestion. But, search around - I'm pretty sure I've read multiple stories about it helping women to regain menstruation.

I would not take birth control again. You got off that train once sister - stay off it! I was on for less than a year and just did not like how it made me feel.
I got married a year ago and what we use for birth control is tracking my ovulation and using condoms when I think I am at all close to my fertility window. Yeah, it's not a guarantee but I love how I am more in tune with my body and hey, if it happens, it happens. You're married!

One last note - do you have any specific symptoms that you think could point to low thyroid? Do you know what your TSH level actually was? Have you measured your temperature and pulse throughout the day? If you at all suspect that thyroid is compromised, I would stop exercising for a while. That might sound like a punch in the face for you. It was for me. Here I was running half marathons and kicking butt at 5Ks, then one day I get diagnosed hypothyroid, do some research, and I haven't run a step since then. For about 6 months I basically did zero exercise (could barely make it through small amounts of walking...some weeks I did one very short and low intensity weight session). Now I am feeling better, and weight lifting 1-2 times a week, going on longer walks 2-3 days too. During my time off, I focused on resting my body, relaxing, getting sunshine, finding joy in life.

Here's this quote from Ray Peat; it was a life changing quote for me as an avid "health nut" and "exercise junkie". Maybe it will ring true with you, too:

“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.”

OP
L

lilhunk11

Thanks Mad! That's great advice and sounds like a lot of what I have gone through. I have started tracking my temperature through the day so hopefully I will notice a pattern. And I have been wanting to take a Progesterone supplement. I think that will help me the most. Along with that I am cutting back to three times a week of exercise and see how my body responds. As far as the Progesterone, I have been wanting to find a very "peat friendly" pure form. I will have to give Haidut's a try I also had a friend (who peats as well) refer me to a website electricalbody for progesterone. I was curious on how to figure out the correct dosage for Progesterone if anyone has advice.

For those that are curious, this was the reply I received from Ray:

"I notice that your eardrum temperature was a little low. If that happened to be the day of ovulation it might be o.k., but it’s likely that it’s partly the result of low progesterone production. Using a progesterone supplement (not a “progestin”) for two weeks starting at ovulation might help to establish a cycle. A deficiency of vitamin D and calcium lowers the metabolic rate; serum vitamin D3 should be around 55 ng/ml. Two quarts of (low fat) milk per day helps to increase the metabolic rate."

OP
L

lilhunk11

I recently have purchased the Progest E oil supplement from electircal body.
Ray had mentioned to take a progesterone supplement for two weeks starting at ovulation.
I have been tracking my temperature for a few months now and haven't found a definite pattern of ovulation. Should I randomly pick a day of the month and begin taking it? and if so, for how long? Any idea on how big of a dose to take? The pan flit mentioned 3-4 drops a few times a day.

L

lollipop

I recently have purchased the Progest E oil supplement from electircal body.
Ray had mentioned to take a progesterone supplement for two weeks starting at ovulation.
I have been tracking my temperature for a few months now and haven't found a definite pattern of ovulation. Should I randomly pick a day of the month and begin taking it? and if so, for how long? Any idea on how big of a dose to take? The pan flit mentioned 3-4 drops a few times a day.
I would just choose a day since you have not anyway of determining at this point. If you read cycle comes back, then you can restart based on your true cycle. I would follow the instructions on the brochure. It is good advice. Good luck and welcome to Ray Peat Land :):

Mad

I would just choose a day since you have not anyway of determining at this point. If you read cycle comes back, then you can restart based on your true cycle. I would follow the instructions on the brochure. It is good advice. Good luck and welcome to Ray Peat Land :)

I concur. Plus, if you follow the initial high dose instructions, you would be taking it more than two weeks at once anyway. So just pick a day and go for it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals