Progesterone WITH. Pill?

Nick Ireland

I have a friend on the combined birth control pill. I understand from Peat and others (as well as forum testimonies) that progesterone circa 100mg plus / can offer an effective birth control method.
However, I think it is unlikely in the beginning that my friend will trade one for the other. She is willing to try progesterone having seen the cutting effects it has had on me via transdermal application. Her use of the pill has led to increased weight and moodiness, flushing etc. she is 30 years old. Ideally she is better off the 'toxic' pill and on exclusively progesterone. I think after using progesterone she would be convinced of it's standalone effects. In the interim period - is it possible to use both on order to receive some noticeable benefit? I know the ratios are important and while on the pill it would probably take a lot of progesterone to balance that one or is it simply oppositional and pointless? Any comments welcome.

4peatssake

Nick Ireland said:
I have a friend on the combined birth control pill. I understand from Peat and others (as well as forum testimonies) that progesterone circa 100mg plus / can offer an effective birth control method.
However, I think it is unlikely in the beginning that my friend will trade one for the other. She is willing to try progesterone having seen the cutting effects it has had on me via transdermal application. Her use of the pill has led to increased weight and moodiness, flushing etc. she is 30 years old. Ideally she is better off the 'toxic' pill and on exclusively progesterone. I think after using progesterone she would be convinced of it's standalone effects. In the interim period - is it possible to use both on order to receive some noticeable benefit? I know the ratios are important and while on the pill it would probably take a lot of progesterone to balance that one or is it simply oppositional and pointless? Any comments welcome.
There's a few threads discussing this type of situation.

This post points to additional threads where it is discussed further.

viewtopic.php?p=68135#p68135

Perhaps your friend might consider reading some of Peat's articles herself to help her reach her own conclusions. If she's open to considering Peat's views, she could be well on her way to well managing her reproductive health.

I have no idea regarding the efficacy of taking both and wouldn't hazard a guess except to say I'd never personally take estrogen and am very glad I never took the pill nor anything other than progesterone as I approach menopause.

tara

What 4peatssake said.
Also, I'd be concerned that adding enough progesterone to have an positive effect on health might counteract/undermine the effectiveness of the estrogen-based birth control. I wouldn't be relying on it in this situation, and I wouldn't be assuming that my cycle would run in the previously predictable ways, either. My understanding is that estrogen functions as birth control by being an abortifacient - making sure that a fertilised egg is kicked out, not nurtured. Progesterone can be used as birth control by actual contraception - signalling that one is already pregnant, and thereby preventing a new conception and pregnancy. Timing is crucial for effectiveness.

OP
N

Nick Ireland

Peatsake and Tara ~ thanks! Cheers for the link too.
it's funny how these things work out.... she was reading online about progesterone and tells me a number of actual gyno's / physicians were referring to Peat and natural progesterone. She now has two tubes of transdermal and says she feels safe enough to make the switch to progesterone. I think that the many positive side effects are going to come as quite a surprise to her so I will get her to keep a brief log of events.
The timing issue you mention, Tara, looks vital. I recall a thread here discussing that too.

tara

You probably don't need the reminder, but remember barrier methods when the hormonal methods are not to be relied on. :)

ilpmusic

I know that the dr can prescribe natural progesterone to be compounded the "right" amounts as birth control. Would this be a Peat friendly way for birth control?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals