Is this a safe form of birth control?

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I just saw a commercial for this and it is a non hormonal birth control where I guess you insert the liquid or foam up to an hour before intercourse.

But it contains latic acid , and citric acid , So as a birth control is it bad for you? Male or female?

2 months ago I would have thought nothing about it. But I have learned about how bad lactic acid and citric acid is for cell metabolism and seems like it is bad for sperm too.

Would this be harmless or could you see leading to cancer or something down the line. Besides the potential posted side effects

Contact your healthcare provider if you are experiencing severe genital irritation or discomfort or urinary tract symptoms. Avoid Phexxi if you or your sexual partner is allergic to lactic acid, citric acid, potassium bitartrate, or any of the ingredients in Phexxi. Stop using Phexxi if you develop an allergic reaction.

S-VV

I think this could negatively alter the microbiome and lead to vaginal dysbiosis, fungal overgrowth and UTIs

sladerunner69

I just saw a commercial for this and it is a non hormonal birth control where I guess you insert the liquid or foam up to an hour before intercourse.

But it contains latic acid , and citric acid , So as a birth control is it bad for you? Male or female?

2 months ago I would have thought nothing about it. But I have learned about how bad lactic acid and citric acid is for cell metabolism and seems like it is bad for sperm too.

Would this be harmless or could you see leading to cancer or something down the line. Besides the potential posted side effects

Contact your healthcare provider if you are experiencing severe genital irritation or discomfort or urinary tract symptoms. Avoid Phexxi if you or your sexual partner is allergic to lactic acid, citric acid, potassium bitartrate, or any of the ingredients in Phexxi. Stop using Phexxi if you develop an allergic reaction.

Yeah it isn't perfect but I would venture to say it's certainly better than taking an estrogen pill.

schultz

It might depend on how much sex you're having. If everyday, I think I'd be worried. Once a month might not be too bad.

psans

I'm guessing it's still better than hormonal birth control.

dogtrainer

I use this only when close to ovulation and haven’t had any issues, that I can tell.

psans

THis site lists natural alternatives.

id recommend a fertility monitor used in reverse,which sounds like you are already using if you know when you are ovulating.

some combination of diaphragm,withdrawal method,lambskin on the 4-6 days of ovulation would be my preference.

Assuming you do get dysbiosis, it is fixable, but the preference would have to be to avoid it.

im amazed how few women know the incredible downsides to the pill.

vasectomies for the lowering of testosterone and the autoimmune issues I consider a huge non starter

most people are unaware of how much lower testosterone levels and sperm counts have become in the last 50 years or so, they've gone down approximately 60% since the 1970s, in addition female fertility falls about one percent a year,and miscarriages go up by about 1% a year.

Amazon product ASIN B084G9MMVHView: https://www.amazon.com/Count-Down-Threatening-Reproductive-Development-ebook/dp/B084G9MMVH/

Another angle most are unaware of ,is how beneficial semen/sperm is to preventing depression in women.

psans

THis site lists natural alternatives.

id recommend a fertility monitor used in reverse,which sounds like you are already using if you know when you are ovulating.

some combination of diaphragm,withdrawal method,lambskin on the 4-6 days of ovulation would be my preference.

Assuming you do get dysbiosis, it is fixable, but the preference would have to be to avoid it.

im amazed how few women know the incredible downsides to the pill.

vasectomies for the lowering of testosterone and the autoimmune issues I consider a huge non starter

most people are unaware of how much lower testosterone levels and sperm counts have become in the last 50 years or so, they've gone down approximately 60% since the 1970s, in addition female fertility falls about one percent a year,and miscarriages go up by about 1% a year.

Amazon product ASIN B084G9MMVHView: https://www.amazon.com/Count-Down-Threatening-Reproductive-Development-ebook/dp/B084G9MMVH/

Another angle most are unaware of ,is how beneficial semen/sperm is to preventing depression in women.