My kidney story

Matestube

I've been battling this for the last 7 years.

I'm introducing this as a "kidney" issue, but everyone battling these issues for long enough knows that kidneys/liver/gut are intertwined.

Long story short, twice a year I have these accute symptoms for one week:
- blood in urine
- no appetite
- fever
- complete loss of water in muscles

All signs of high ammonia and lack of aldosterone.

Rest of the year I'm overall very fatigued.

It has gotten better since doing a Peaty diet, my eGFR has gone up from 60 to 90.
It has also gotten better last time I was pissing blood clots when they gave me Augmentin: it cleared it right away, leading me to think that this is a recurrent bacterial kidney infection.

But this is only my thought, not a doctor's diagnosis, as they have always sent me home with a tap on the back except for that one time at the hospital where they gave me Augmentin.

Do you guys have any research direction to point me to?
Parasites? Bacteria? Something completely unrelated to kidneys?

P

Peatness

Ray Peat on Kidney Function

RP:
Normal functioning kidneys aren't stressed by a high protein diet, but when something is impairing kidney function such as hypothyroidism or other sickness, then with low kidney function and a lot of bacteria in your intestine breaking down amino acids you can get accumulated ammonia. And that's where RL Veech, an NIH - I think it was - researcher, proposed using ketone, keto acids, equivalent to the essential amino acids, which will absorb the ammonia, even when a person has no functioning kidney... ability to secrete ammonia. Just by feeding keto acids, if they are the equivalent of the essential amino acids, you create them in your body by absorbing the ammonia and then making your own protein, and that was where I got the idea that some foods would contain natural keto acid equivalents and we did chromatography on potato juice and found that they are rich in the keto acids which will function as amino acids, even though they contain no ammonia, because they can absorb ammonia from your blood........ A few people who had ammonia coming out of the breath every time they ate just about any food containing protein, had just a couple of meals of potato juice and they started assimilating proteins but in Veech's research, he put them on a chronic diet of keto acid supplements.

Caller: Absorb it from the blood, thereby, so the kidneys will not be as stressed?

RP: That was for use in people who were having essentially no kidney function and Veech's research showed that these ketones, or keto acids, are very helpful for failing kidneys. But, ordinarily, there are many other things you need to do when you have kidney disease; you want to correct all of the hormones that are involved in regulating kidney physiology, especially thyroid, progesterone, oestrogen, cortisol and some of the pituitary stress-related hormones.

Caller: I understand that this is a process and it would be very important to continue to eat the raw carrot daily, am I correct? To keep the ammonia down?

RP: Yes that does help with the bacterial ammonia production.

Supplements to improve Kidney function

When there's existing kidney disease, supplementing thyroid and progesterone speeds recovery. Urea is safe, but progesterone, pregnenolone, and thyroid are often curative for chronic kidney disease. Vitamin D When it’s low, parathyroid hormone rises, and it’s one of the "uremic toxins."

Kidney issues and help with dumping minerals through excess urination

Progesterone and thyroid and vitamin D and essential mineral sodium, potassium and magnesium are necessary for kidneys. Drinking too much water instead of juices can wash the mineral out of the body.

A.R

I'm introducing this as a "kidney" issue, but everyone battling these issues for long enough knows that kidneys/liver/gut are intertwined.

- blood in urine
- no appetite
- fever

It has gotten better since doing a Peaty diet, my eGFR has gone up from 60 to 90.
It has also gotten better last time I was pissing blood clots when they gave me Augmentin: it cleared it right away, leading me to think that this is a recurrent bacterial kidney infection.

But this is only my thought, not a doctor's diagnosis, as they have always sent me home with a tap on the back except for that one time at the hospital where they gave me Augmentin.

Do your sort of count your protein intake? What sources of protein do you usually eat? Also, do you supplement EAA/BCAA’s?
Ray Peat on Kidney Function

RP:
Normal functioning kidneys aren't stressed by a high protein diet, but when something is impairing kidney function such as hypothyroidism or other sickness, then with low kidney function and a lot of bacteria in your intestine breaking down amino acids you can get accumulated ammonia. And that's where RL Veech, an NIH - I think it was - researcher, proposed using ketone, keto acids, equivalent to the essential amino acids, which will absorb the ammonia, even when a person has no functioning kidney... ability to secrete ammonia. Just by feeding keto acids, if they are the equivalent of the essential amino acids, you create them in your body by absorbing the ammonia and then making your own protein, and that was where I got the idea that some foods would contain natural keto acid equivalents and we did chromatography on potato juice and found that they are rich in the keto acids which will function as amino acids, even though they contain no ammonia, because they can absorb ammonia from your blood........ A few people who had ammonia coming out of the breath every time they ate just about any food containing protein, had just a couple of meals of potato juice and they started assimilating proteins but in Veech's research, he put them on a chronic diet of keto acid supplements.

Caller: Absorb it from the blood, thereby, so the kidneys will not be as stressed?

RP: That was for use in people who were having essentially no kidney function and Veech's research showed that these ketones, or keto acids, are very helpful for failing kidneys. But, ordinarily, there are many other things you need to do when you have kidney disease; you want to correct all of the hormones that are involved in regulating kidney physiology, especially thyroid, progesterone, oestrogen, cortisol and some of the pituitary stress-related hormones.

Caller: I understand that this is a process and it would be very important to continue to eat the raw carrot daily, am I correct? To keep the ammonia down?

RP: Yes that does help with the bacterial ammonia production.

Supplements to improve Kidney function

When there's existing kidney disease, supplementing thyroid and progesterone speeds recovery. Urea is safe, but progesterone, pregnenolone, and thyroid are often curative for chronic kidney disease. Vitamin D When it’s low, parathyroid hormone rises, and it’s one of the "uremic toxins."

Kidney issues and help with dumping minerals through excess urination

Progesterone and thyroid and vitamin D and essential mineral sodium, potassium and magnesium are necessary for kidneys. Drinking too much water instead of juices can wash the mineral out of the body.
Great information thank you!

- blood in urine
- no appetite
- fever

What kind “Peaty” foods do your at regularly, Mate, that have improved your kidney function. I have a friend who, I learned yesterday, m is on the verge of dialysis and I gotta quick give her some direction.

OP
Matestube

Matestube

What kind “Peaty” foods do your at regularly, Mate, that have improved your kidney function. I have a friend who, I learned yesterday, m is on the verge of dialysis and I gotta quick give her some direction.

The biggest progress I've made in my kidney journey is eliminating mercury thanks to chelating with ALA and OSR.

What also really helped was completely eliminating starch and therefore inflammation.

The biggest progress I've made in my kidney journey is eliminating mercury thanks to chelating with ALA and OSR.

What also really helped was completely eliminating starch and therefore inflammation.
Ok thank you for this good start! Can you give me an idea of what a day of your eating looks like?

OP
Matestube

Matestube

Ok thank you for this good start! Can you give me an idea of what a day of your eating looks like?

Morning :
Coffee or Red Bull, 400ml full fat sheep yoghurt with maple syrup

Lunch :
Parmesan with ham
Or
Saucisson with heavy cream

Dinner :
400ml Full fat sheep yoghurt with stewed strawberry and 500ml ice cream.

Throughout the day :
1l full fat milk or 1l orange juice

Peachy

How is urination frequency - normally and during these episodes? Do you have any symptoms other than fatigue when things aren’t acute?

Morning :
Coffee or Red Bull, 400ml full fat sheep yoghurt with maple syrup

Lunch :
Parmesan with ham
Or
Saucisson with heavy cream

Dinner :
400ml Full fat sheep yoghurt with stewed strawberry and 500ml ice cream.

Throughout the day :
1l full fat milk or 1l orange juice
Thanks for this. I am surprised about the orange juice, being they are high in oxalates.

yerrag

- blood in urine
- no appetite
- fever
If it's acute, then it's not chronic.

Why was there blood in urine? Is it from the urinary tract, or the bladder, or the kidneys?

If you have an infection, then you can have a fever. With that infection and a fever helping you to overcome that infection, it is normal to lose appetite and not really a bad development but the body conserving its energy away from using it for digestion and reserving it for healing. And if you haven't been eating for a few day, you would have to lose muscle mass to use the protein as it gets converted to sugar for energy.

What I can't understand is why there is this regularity of twice a year happening, and that it's been happening for the past 7 years.

I don't really dig too deep into what's in what, I mostly listen to how I feel after certain foods.
I hear you. I am just trying to figure out what to tell this person that is asking for some advice. If she doesn’t figure out how to feed herself better, she is going well n dialysis soon. I have no idea how people feed themselves with her situation.

Neeters 27

- blood in urine
- no appetite
- fever

might or mught not be same issue,but my ex had similar and had to have a procedure, I call it the Roto-rooter, (sorry) whereby they went up the urethra to expand it and clear out any blockages. then he was on antibiotics for a long time, and then now he's been good for about 20 years no probs. have you had an exploratory Ulatrasound or ?

OP
Matestube

Matestube

I hear you. I am just trying to figure out what to tell this person that is asking for some advice. If she doesn’t figure out how to feed herself better, she is going well n dialysis soon. I have no idea how people feed themselves with her situation.

If you want a shortcut :

Meat
Cheese
Orange juice

That will make her situation 90% better if she is currently eating starches and vegetables.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals