MEDICINAL HERBS I LOVE

Perry Staltic

IMG_20220104_131924434.jpg

I just noticed the instruction to not drink it for more than 4 weeks. Glad I saw that.

Veritas IV

I just noticed the instruction to not drink it for more than 4 weeks. Glad I saw that.

Intriguing product, will check online for local sources, thank you!

Edit: Just saw that it's available at Aldi's market!

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am icing some chamomile after reading the study linked above. I steeped the tea and threw in some frozen peaches and white whipped honey. I will pour it over ice in a couple of hours.

Attachments

• 20220120_155839.jpg
    20220120_155839.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 12

Perry Staltic

Intriguing product, will check online for local sources, thank you!

Edit: Just saw that it's available at Aldi's market!

Yeah, better stock up because it was in the section where stuff comes and goes. Once it's gone, it's gone.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is probably because of the burdock.
It is a blood thinner and has a diuretic effect. I only drink it on occasion.

"Burdock is often used to help balance hormones by supporting the liver, which metabolized hormones for excretion. ... In this case, the balance of hormones in the blood stream becomes imbalanced. Burdock root's support of the liver is the reason that it is called a hormone stabilizer."

"Burdock root acts like a natural diuretic, which can lead to dehydration. If you take water pills or other diuretics, you should not take burdock root. If you take these medications, it is important to be aware of other drugs, herbs, and ingredients that may lead to dehydration."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wasn't burdock non-estrogenic?
Yes I posted a link above about it raising testosterone. There is a ton of good studies out there on the benefits of burdock root. At the time that I got my first bag of it from my son it was one of the top herbs used in Japan. Here is another one....

"We conducted a randomized, double-blind controlled trial of the effects of aquatic exercise (AE) and/or consumption of burdock root extract (BE) on body composition and serum sex hormones, i.e., testosterone, estradiol, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate (DHEA-S) in elderly women with MS. The percentage of abdominal fat was decreased in the AE group. Waist circumference was increased in the control (CON) group, but not in the other groups."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Burdock has many health benefits and the main bioactive components of Burdock are: R R R

• Arctiin
  • Arctigenin (arctigenin is the metabolite of arctiin formed via the catalysis of human intestinal bacteria) R
  • Beta-eudesmolinulin
  • Caffeic Acid
  • Caffeoylquinic Acid
  • Chlorogenic Acid
  • Crocin
  • Cynarin
  • Diarctignin
  • Gallic Acid
  • Inulin (fructooligosaccharides, FOS)
  • Lappaol (A, B, F)
  • Luteolin
  • Matairesinol/side
  • Methyl arctate-b
  • p-coumaric acid
  • Quercetin
  • Rutin
  • Sitosterol-beta-D-glucopyranoside
  • Tannins
  • Trachelogenin 4
Burdock also has: R

• Amino acids (mostly Aspartic acid and Arginine)
  • Calcium
  • Carotene
  • Copper
  • Fiber
  • Iron
  • Manganese
  • Magnesium
  • Phosphorus
  • Potassium
  • Sodium
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B1
  • Vitamin B2
  • Vitamin C
  • Zinc
  • and other components -> R"

freyasam

I would love to try sauteed fresh nettle leaves. A Greek restaurant owner, nearby, raves about having them everytime he goes back to Greece. They sound scary to me because I don't know anything about their "stingers". Have you felt their pain growing them yourself?
Yep, I used gloves to harvest the wild plants, though the sting is fairly mild. I used to eat them sauteed; taste like spinach.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks @Rinse & rePeat very good information
How is burdock tea made? Can you give the recipe?
I step a teaspoon or two in water and add sugar and cream, or use less water and add frothed milk and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. You can pretty much treat it like coffee, except have only 1 cup every now and then. With herbs it is good to alternate them and not do them everyday unless there is medical need. I buy my burdock in lose tea form.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is a pic of mine. It looks like wood chips and has a sweet roasted smell.

Attachments

• 20220121_113236.jpg
    20220121_113236.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Rose is cold, and this coldness contains moderation which is useful. In the morning, or at daybreak, pluck a rose petal and place it on your eyes. It draws out the humor and makes them clear. One with small ulcers on his body should place rose petals over them. This pulls the mucus from them. One who is inclined to wrath should take rose and less sage and pulverize them. The sage lessens the wrath, and the rose makes him happy. Rose, and half as much sage, may be cooked with fresh, melted lard, in water, and an ointment made from this. The place where a person is troubled by a cramp or paralysis should be rubbed with it, and he will be better. Rose is also good to add to potions, unguents, and all medications. If even a little rose is added, they are so much better, because of the good virtues of the rose." Saint Hildegard von Bingen

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is a great find from Lollipop2! All natural homeopath remedies on the skin rather than ingesting it, just as Ray Peat recommends!

Attachments

• 20220213_173615.jpg
    20220213_173615.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220213_173602.jpg
    20220213_173602.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 23

TradClare

Do you use cascara regularly? They always say don't use it for more than 7 days at a time. I loved it at first, as it really helped me with constipation, but after a couple weeks it stopped helping. When I first started reading Ray Peat before reading about cascara, just drinking milk for the first time also helped and within a few weeks it stopped helping (maybe I had some lactose intolerance that I then overcame?) More recently I was using a Chinese tea with senna that worked for about a month. Now I'm taking a bunch of magnesium and trying to be patient. Just curious if the cascara is hard on the liver or why everyone other than Peat says it's for occasional use only

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you use cascara regularly? They always say don't use it for more than 7 days at a time. I loved it at first, as it really helped me with constipation, but after a couple weeks it stopped helping. When I first started reading Ray Peat before reading about cascara, just drinking milk for the first time also helped and within a few weeks it stopped helping (maybe I had some lactose intolerance that I then overcame?) More recently I was using a Chinese tea with senna that worked for about a month. Now I'm taking a bunch of magnesium and trying to be patient. Just curious if the cascara is hard on the liver or why everyone other than Peat says it's for occasional use only

I only use a half teaspoon of loose casacara, in a cup of chamomile tea, about once a week, if I haven't been eating optimally. That small amount is so much gentler then the capsules. I had a couple of bad experiences with those, terrible cramping. Sometimes I put a scoop of gelatin in that tea combo to "coat" the way :)

TradClare

I only use a half teaspoon of loose casacara, in a cup of chamomile tea, about once a week, if I haven't been eating optimally. That small amount is so much gentler then the capsules. I had a couple of bad experiences with those, terrible cramping. Sometimes I put a scoop of gelatin in that tea combo to "coat" the way :)
ok, thank you, I wish it worked that way for me

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"During the years just before the new drug was approved, there were several publications reporting that emodin, the main active factor in cascara, a traditional laxative, had some remarkable antiviral and anticancer activities. Other studies were reporting that it protected against some known mutagens and carcinogens. Less than 3 months before approving Zelnorm, the FDA announced its Final rule [Federal Register: May 9, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 90)] “Certain Additional Over-the-Counter Drug Category II and III Active Ingredients.” “the stimulant laxative ingredients aloe (including aloe extract and aloe flower extract) and cascara sagrada (including casanthranol, cascara fluidextract aromatic, cascara sagrada bark, cascara sagrada extract, and cascara sagrada fluidextract),” determining that they “are not generally recognized as safe and effective or are misbranded. This final rule is part of FDA's ongoing OTC drug product review. This rule is effective November 5, 2002.”

"Historically, the FDA has ruled against traditional generic drug products when the drug industry is ready to market a synthetic substitute product." -Ray Peat

By screening 312 herbs, we identified three widely used Chinese medicinal herbs of the family Polygonaceae which inhibited the SARS-CoV S protein and ACE2 interaction. Emodin, the major components of the genus Rheum and Polygonum, is the likely active constituent responsible for blocking both the binding of SARS-CoV S protein to ACE2 and the infectivity of S protein-pseudotyped retrovirus to Vero E6 cells. These findings suggested that emodin was a novel anti-SARS-CoV compound and might be considered as a potential therapeutic agent in the treatment of SARS."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals