Why Do People Hate On Tea?

Kt400

I see people hate on tea, specifically green tea all the time in these forums. I'm here to learn and know why? After reading article after article on green tea's benefits, I don't know why anyone would not drink it daily. Would love to read up on articles that may oppose. I've personally drank it daily for long periods of time before, along with chamomile before bed, and I experienced almost super human effects. I was a 140 pounds my senior year of college playing baseball. Very small I know, however during max out week during off season baseball workouts I was able to squat and deadlift over 3x my weight. I was pound for pound the strongest dude by a mile on a team where multiple guys were taking steroids. Here's a handful of published scholarly articles supporting GT:

1. Beneficial effects of green tea: A literature review
Beneficial effects of green tea: A literature review
2. Health-promoting effects of green tea
Health-promoting effects of green tea
3. Tea and Health: Studies in Humans
Tea and Health: Studies in Humans
4.Beneficial Effects of Green Tea--A Review
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/aba2/00d22e9ecc27e2a4fc058be690d1366be961.pdf
5. Nutraceutical Properties of the Green Tea Polyphenols
Nutraceutical Properties of the Green Tea Polyphenols
6. Green Tea and Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

schultz

I enjoy a cup of tea occasionally, usually in the winter when I want a warm drink that isn't coffee. I also like hot chocolate and what my 5 year old daughter calls "vanilla milk", which is just milk, sugar, gelatin, vanilla and sometimes an egg yolk.

I tend to like the flavour of black tea.

I don't know exactly why people hate on it. For some reason I am under the impression green tea is estrogenic in some way. Tea also apparently contains fluoride, possibly from the water used to feed the plants?

Ray has said this...

"The “estrogenic” and “antioxidant” polyphenolic compounds of tea are not the protective agents (they raise the level of estrogen), but tea's caffeine is a very powerful and general anti-cancer protectant." - Ray Peat

In the sentence before that one he was talking about the Japanese, so I am not sure if he is referring to all 4 types of tea, or just green tea.

Cirion

This is the first I've heard this. Does RP speak about tea? And there are many kinds of teas, is it really fair to say they are all anti thyroid?

olive

Green tea is pretty cool; has some interesting effects on dopamine modulation
If you have the money splurge on the Japanese stuff
If consumed add a pinch of borax, the boron will displace the fluoride

I also like Yerba Mate, Pau D’Arco, Chamomile and Horsetail tea

Coffee, I believe, trumps tea due to anti-opiate effects however I like to mix things up

michael94

Personally I am not worried about the fluoride part but tea does increase nitric oxide in some cases and is protected against by casein. Not sure why it increases nitric oxide though.

I used to really like green tea but cant tolerate it as much now unless its as green t ice cream which can be awesome!

OP
K

Kt400

Personally I am not worried about the fluoride part but tea does increase nitric oxide in some cases and is protected against by casein. Not sure why it increases nitric oxide though.

I used to really like green tea but cant tolerate it as much now unless its as green t ice cream which can be awesome!
I usually throw some organic honey in there

OP
K

Kt400

Green tea is pretty cool; has some interesting effects on dopamine modulation
If you have the money splurge on the Japanese stuff
If consumed add a pinch of borax, the boron will displace the fluoride

I also like Yerba Mate, Pau D’Arco, Chamomile and Horsetail tea

Coffee, I believe, trumps tea due to anti-opiate effects however I like to mix things up
Why not hrow borax in everything?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peat suggested tea as a diuretic to me in an email.

B

Braveheart

I mix it up...1 coffee am and pm...1 green tea after my 2 meals (for arteries) and 1 chamomile before bed...
None of this is "high dose".....

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it lower thyroid function? Any empirical evidence?

There are studies.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
Tea is a rich source of polyphenolic flavonoids including catechins, which are thought to contribute to the health benefits of it. Flavonoids have been reported to have antithyroid and goitrogenic effect. The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether high doses of green and black tea have a harmful effect on thyroid physiology. Un-fractionated green and black tea extracts were administered orally to male rats for 30 days at doses of 1.25 g%, 2.5 g% and 5.0 g%. The results showed that green tea extract at 2.5 g% and 5.0 g% doses and black tea extract only at 5.0 g% dose have the potential to alter the thyroid gland physiology and architecture, that is, enlargement of thyroid gland as well as hypertrophy and/or hyperplasia of the thyroid follicles and inhibition of the activity of thyroid peroxidase and 5′-deiodinase I with elevated thyroidal Na+, K+-ATPase activity along with significant decrease in serum T3 and T4, and a parallel increase in serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). This study concludes that goitrogenic/antithyroidal potential of un-fractionated green tea extract is much more than black tea extract because of the differences in catechin contents in the tea extracts.

And others showing anti androgenic effects
NOPR: Effect of green tea (<i style="">Camellia sinensis</i> L.) extract on morphological and functional changes in adult male gonads of albino rats

Green tea, prepared from the steamed and dried leaves of the shrub Camellia sinensis, is known for its antioxidant and anti-carcinogenic effects. However, its effects on male gonadal functions have not been explored adequately and the present investigation has been undertaken to evaluate the effect of green tea extract on gonads of adult male albino rats. Results of in vivo studies showed that green tea extract (GTE) at mild (1.25 g%, ≡ 5 cups of tea/day), moderate (2.5 g%, ≡ 10 cups of tea/day) and high (5.0 g%, ≡ 20 cups of tea/day) doses, for a period of 26 days, altered morphology and histology of testis and accessory sex organs. A significant dose-dependent decrease in the sperm counts, inhibited activities of testicular ∆53
beta.gif
- and 17
beta.gif
-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (∆5-3
beta.gif
-HSD and 17
beta.gif
-HSD respectively) and decreased serum testosterone level were noticed. Significant increase in serum LH level was observed after moderate and high doses; serum FSH level also increased but not significantly. Histopathological examination showed inhibition of spermatogenesis evidenced by preferential loss of matured and elongated spermatids. Results of this study showed that GTE at relatively high dose may cause impairment of both the morphological and normal functional status of testis in rodents and thus its consumption at relatively high doses raises concern on male reproductive function in spite of its other beneficial effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals