Chaparral

TreasureVibe

Medicinal Properties of Chaparral
If I made a list of my top 10 favorite herbs, chaparral (Larrea tridentata) would definitely be on that list. This hardy plant, comprising over 20 species, cannot only survive the extremes of desert life, but can also live to be well over 10,000 years old. In fact, I have read that one of the oldest living plants on earth is a massive chaparral plant in California believed to be over 25,000 years old. Natural habitats for chaparral include the Southwestern US, Mexico, South America, South Africa, Australia, and the Mediterranean.

Medicinally, chaparral is hard to beat. The plant has strong antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-tumor properties. Chaparral is also a great anti-inflammatory, and raises vitamin C levels in the adrenal glands. By strengthening the adrenals, inflammatory conditions are reduced in the body, stress responses are improved, immune function is strengthened, depression can be alleviated, blood sugar can be stabilized, allergies/asthma reduced, etc. Chaparral is an extremely strong blood purifier, which is probably in part due to its high sulfur content. Its sulfur content could also help explain its historical use as a hair growth agent.

In addition, chaparral is the strongest antioxidant I have seen. Many antioxidant manufacturers claim that their antioxidant is the strongest known, but they are misleading. For example, manufacturers of Pycnogenol claimed that they had the strongest antioxidant known. They even went as far to compare the strength of their product to vitamin E. The problem is that Pycnogenols, or PCOs, are water soluble. Natural vitamin E on the other hand is lipid (fat) soluble. This is like comparing a car to a bicycle. They are both a source of transportation, but with big differences. And if I were to compare Pycnogenols with vitamin E, I would say the vitamin E is the car, which is more powerful, and the Pycnogenols are the bicycle. This is because I feel the cell membrane, which is composed of lipids, is more prone to free radical damage than the components within the water portion of the cell. Chaparral is different because it is not limited to the water or lipid portions of the cell. The antioxidants in chaparral work in both parts of the cell.

The antioxidants in chaparral include flavonoids, and a very powerful antioxidant known as nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA). NDGA is such a strong and effective antioxidant that it was actually used for decades as an antioxidant preserservative for oils and foods, with full approval of the USDA.

Chaparral is best known for its ability to treat cancer effectively. The antitumor effects of chaparral have been verified in studies conducted by the universities of both Nevada and Utah. One of the things that makes chaparral unique in its ability to treat cancer is the fact that it “attacks” the cancer through multiple mechanisms. Since the majority of cancers have a microbial origin, the first mechanism is through the destruction of viruses, bacteria and fungi. Chronic inflammation has also been linked to the formation of cancers, meaning that chaparral’s anti-inflammatory properties can inhibit some cancers. Chaparral can inhibit cancers triggered, or aggravated, by free radicals and toxins due to its antioxidant and cleansing properties. Chaparral’s liver cleansing properties makes it helpful for hormonal induced cancers since the liver is responsible for the breakdown of excess hormones. And finally, chaparral inhibits mitochondrial enzymes, which in turn inhibits the cellular division of cancer cells. In short, this means it inhibits cancer growth.

Chaparral’s ability to kill microbes makes it useful for a number of diseases linked to microbial infections. These include cancers (viral, bacterial, and fungal forms), heart disease (chlamydia bacteria), hepatitis (viral, bacterial, and fungal forms), rheumatoid (chlamydia bacteria) and other forms of infectious arthritis, multiple sclerosis (human herpes virus type 6), ulcerative colitis (mycoavian complex bacterium), Crohn’s disease (mycoavian complex bacterium), type 1 diabetes (viral), pneumonia (viral, bacterial, and fungal forms), bronchitis (viral, bacterial, and fungal forms), etc. One of the most interesting areas of study for the use of chaparral is in the treatment of herpes infections, where studies are looking very promising.

Chaparral is very resinous, and so is not easy to prepare as a tea. Resins and water do not mix, and the resin will separate out and stick to the pan wall when trying to make the tea. Therefore, I recommend not using this herb as a tea. I personally prefer the powder mixed with other herbs. By combining the powder with other powdered herbs, the other powdered herbs will help prevent the resins in the chaparral from clumping the powder in to a big “gumball” when it comes in to contact with water. This helps maintain a larger surface area, thereby increasing the absorption and effectiveness of the herb. In addition, the addition of other herbs can increase the effectiveness of each herb. For instance, chaparral combined with red clover blossom increases the antitumor activity of both herbs. Combining chaparral with pau d’ arco (lapacho, taheebo, ipe roxo) increases the antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal activities of both herbs.

Again, the FDA tried to claim that chaparral was linked to 13 cases of hepatitis, though medical reviews subsequently found no evidence that the chaparral was linked to the cases. In fact, it was shown that many of the patients were found to have pre-existing liver failure, or were taking pharmaceutical drugs well known for causing liver damage. On the other hand, fresh chaparral does contain unstable alkaloids that may damage the liver if ingested for a length of time. Therefore, chaparral should be dried and aged for at least a month before use to destroy these alkaloids.

Source: Alt/Trad Medical Review

Is Chaparral a good herb to supplement?

According to various sources it can cause irreversible liver and kidney damage when supplemented, see: The Health Benefits & Dangers of Chaparral Herb
https://www.google.nl/search?rlz=1C....313...0j0i22i30k1j0i22i30i19k1.0.8vvW3WrAseI

Interesting article on Chaparral: Chaparral and Its Main Compound, Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA): Is it a Controversial Natural Substance? — BioFoundations

Chaparral - When herbs turn deadly - Frugal Nurse - A man died due to liver toxicity after using the herb...

It sure seems controversial.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I have been using chaparral for years, started off doing the 21 day chaparral cleanse, then just incorporated it into my teas, etc. Never had an issue making it as a tea, which is the way I typically use it. I also make an oil tincture for topical use, as well. I believe most of the problems with chaparral were just like the other herbs that get condemned, they were used with prescription drugs, and of course the drugs never get maligned. Chaparral is a strong herb and should be used with respect, but it has gone through the test of time and I believe it is beneficial and relatively safe. You' re the first post I have seen here on chaparral, I thought I was the only one that knew about it or used it.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I have been using chaparral for years, started off doing the 21 day chaparral cleanse, then just incorporated it into my teas, etc. Never had an issue making it as a tea, which is the way I typically use it. I also make an oil tincture for topical use, as well. I believe most of the problems with chaparral were just like the other herbs that get condemned, they were used with prescription drugs, and of course the drugs never get maligned. Chaparral is a strong herb and should be used with respect, but it has gone through the test of time and I believe it is beneficial and relatively safe. You' re the first post I have seen here on chaparral, I thought I was the only one that knew about it or used it.
:shock: Amazing. Yeah I've learned about it through James Sloane the herbalist. It's his top of the line herb choice for cancer. So all credit to him for making me start this topic.

I wonder though, how is it possible that a person died using this herb? That's extreme. And how are you able to use it and nothing bad happens?

Inaut

I’ve also been interested in using chaparral for a while. Haven’t yet but am considering it.

The only thing that discourages me from using it is the potential estrogenic effect.

Chemical studies of phytoestrogens and related compounds in dietary supplements: flax and chaparral. - PubMed - NCBI

Flaxseed contains high levels of phytoestrogens. Chaparral has been associated with acute nonviral toxic hepatitis and contains lignans that are structurally similar to known estrogenic compounds. Both flaxseed and chaparral products have been marketed as dietary supplements.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I’ve also been interested in using chaparral for a while. Haven’t yet but am considering it.

The only thing that discourages me from using it is the potential estrogenic effect.

Chemical studies of phytoestrogens and related compounds in dietary supplements: flax and chaparral. - PubMed - NCBI

Flaxseed contains high levels of phytoestrogens. Chaparral has been associated with acute nonviral toxic hepatitis and contains lignans that are structurally similar to known estrogenic compounds. Both flaxseed and chaparral products have been marketed as dietary supplements.
I think Sloane said that phytoestrogens prevent xenoestrogens from having effects therefore phytoestrogens are good in a way for preventing estrogen.

CC @haidut @Travis

Last edited:
OP
T

TreasureVibe

Ray Peat actually adviced one of the main constituents of Chapparal called nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) as safe:

Once, I asked Peat about "safe" lipoxygenase inhibitors. He told me "Emodin, nordihydroguaiaretic acid, caffeic acid and baicalein" . I haven't really experimented with those (except emodin a bit) but for each of them I could find studies that made them undesirable. I think one of its most potent inhibitors is simply omega-3 intake because it blocks arachidonic acid before it goes to either pathway, contrarily to aspirin. Vitamin E would work in the same way.

Source: https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/too-much-aspirin-at-once-massive-shedding.11221/

Wiki article on NDGA: Nordihydroguaiaretic acid - Wikipedia

2004 Study: http://scholar.google.nl/scholar_ur...VAgiLvqeZtx7QAimBhWOelEFg&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

On the other hand, the toxicity of creosote bush has been demonstrated. However, as far as we can conclude from these data the reported toxic doses in humans and experimental animals always exceeded the traditional use of the plant and are often confounded with use of other herbs and potentially with lifestyle choices. Overall, prescribed appropriately traditional uses of other herbal medications appear safe. Although linkage to some adverse effects may not be discovered since problems are likely not to be reported, it is reasonable to assume that there is a wide margin of safety for many popular remedies (Elvin-Lewis, 2001).

Gynostemma aka Jiaogulan contains NDGA as well:

Gynostemma pentaphyllum - Wikipedia

Anyone here familiar with this?
There has been a lot of talk on imminst about Rhodiola, but not the Chinese adaptogen Gynostemma. It is apparently popular throughout Asia, and regular drinkers of the tea are said to live longer. I wonder if anyone here has read or has personal experience with it? It seems like something that could be blended with green tea to provide extra benefit or even as a standalone replacement. (OT, I'm currently drinking an awesome green/yerba mate/pinch of wormwood blend)

I'm a little worried about reports of renal and hepatoxicity, but these reports only seem to come from consumption of NDGA containing chapparal and not Jiaogulan, which has been used safely in China for a very long time. Curious to hear your thoughts...

Edit to add:
Resveratrol
*pictures*
Could it be an analogue?

Source: https://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/39876-ndga-nordihydroguaiaretic-acid/

NDGA significantly increased the incidence of liver, lung, and thymus tumors, and peritoneal hemorrhagic diathesis found at necropsy.

Source: Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid Extends the Lifespan of Drosophila and Mice, Increases Mortality-Related Tumors and Hemorrhagic Diathesis, and Alters Energy Homeostasis in Mice | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A | Oxford Academic

Wow. And Ray Peat adviced it as safe!

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think Sloane said that phytoestrogens prevent xenoestrogens from having effects therefore phytoestrogens are good in a way for preventing estrogen.

CC @haidut @Travis

Phytoestrogens are a type of xenoestrogens. Xeno = foreign, as opposed to endogenous ones like estradiol. I don't think phytoestrogens are good or safe in any way. Yes, they block other xenoestrogens like BPA from binding to the ER. But they are still estrogens, and still activate that receptor. So, the effects is still estrogenic. It is just one estrogen utcompeting another to bind to the receptor and cause an effect. Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) has been shown to be an estrogen receptor antagonist, so that's what I would try to use to block effects of xenoestrogens.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/vitamin-e-is-an-estrogen-receptor-antagonist.8506/

Inaut

bump this thread because of @Jam's recent post on orthoquinone. Anyone notice any effects from chaparral? Please share if so

Dave Clark

Ray Peat actually adviced one of the main constituents of Chapparal called nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) as safe:

Source: Too Much Aspirin At Once: Massive Shedding

Wiki article on NDGA: Nordihydroguaiaretic acid - Wikipedia

2004 Study: http://scholar.google.nl/scholar_ur...VAgiLvqeZtx7QAimBhWOelEFg&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

On the other hand, the toxicity of creosote bush has been demonstrated. However, as far as we can conclude from these data the reported toxic doses in humans and experimental animals always exceeded the traditional use of the plant and are often confounded with use of other herbs and potentially with lifestyle choices. Overall, prescribed appropriately traditional uses of other herbal medications appear safe. Although linkage to some adverse effects may not be discovered since problems are likely not to be reported, it is reasonable to assume that there is a wide margin of safety for many popular remedies (Elvin-Lewis, 2001).

Gynostemma aka Jiaogulan contains NDGA as well:

Gynostemma pentaphyllum - Wikipedia

Source: NDGA (Nordihydroguaiaretic acid) - Supplements

Source: Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid Extends the Lifespan of Drosophila and Mice, Increases Mortality-Related Tumors and Hemorrhagic Diathesis, and Alters Energy Homeostasis in Mice | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A | Oxford Academic

Wow. And Ray Peat adviced it as safe!
Where in the Wiki link does it say that jiaogulan has NDGA? I am not seeing that. It says it grows up to zone 8, I live in zone 7 and my jiaogulan plants come up every year, I haven't bought the herb for years thanks to an annual harvest.
Years ago they used NDGA as a food preservative, until chemical preservatives became prevalent. It may be very useful as an antioxidant in small doses. I make an extract from chaparral and add it to things like olive oil, along with rosemary extract, which is another good antioxidant. It is also good to add to skin lotions for the same reason. The anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties are beneficial in topical application.
I suppose if phytoestrogens are so bad, we shouldn't use vitamin E either: Vitamin E components are more than antioxidants: they are phyto-estrogens

Last edited:

Inaut

Fun fact: chaparral comes from the same family as tribulus. I just found that out today. Not earth shattering but interesting in my eyes none the less

Inaut

So I've been taking about 1.5 grams of chaparral leaf (in capsules) for the last two weeks. Something is going on in my guts as I'm seeing a lot of strange things in my stool. Will continue this until I finish the capsules. I think it's definitely cleaning me out though

Dave Clark

So I've been taking about 1.5 grams of chaparral leaf (in capsules) for the last two weeks. Something is going on in my guts as I'm seeing a lot of strange things in my stool. Will continue this until I finish the capsules. I think it's definitely cleaning me out though
Interested to see your updates. If you feel the capsules are too strong, you could always do Lalitha Thomas's 21 day chaparral cleanse, which is a bit gentler, if you need to go in that direction. I believe she had recommended it as a Spring cleanse, so this is the right time of year for that.
Chaparral Cleanse:
1 tsp of chaparral leaves
Cup of very hot - but NOT boiling - water
Steep overnight, strain & drink first thing in the AM

Using the same leaves, repeat, drinking a cup the 2nd & 3rd days, then discard leaves, & start with new leaves that evening. (1 tsp for 3 days, & always very hot water, not boiling!! I like to use a small french press, covered with a china lid while steeping, then I simply press the leaves before drinking.)

Inaut

Interested to see your updates. If you feel the capsules are too strong, you could always do Lalitha Thomas's 21 day chaparral cleanse, which is a bit gentler, if you need to go in that direction. I believe she had recommended it as a Spring cleanse, so this is the right time of year for that.
Chaparral Cleanse:
1 tsp of chaparral leaves
Cup of very hot - but NOT boiling - water
Steep overnight, strain & drink first thing in the AM

Using the same leaves, repeat, drinking a cup the 2nd & 3rd days, then discard leaves, & start with new leaves that evening. (1 tsp for 3 days, & always very hot water, not boiling!! I like to use a small french press, covered with a china lid while steeping, then I simply press the leaves before drinking.)
I'm doing both. The tea is strong but i like that it's stimulating the bitter receptor/vagus nerve. I think the capsules are napalming the bad bacteria as I've been passing white strands (a lot). I'm also trying it topically as i think it may have some benefits with hairloss and skin problems.. How often do you take chaparral @Dave Clark?

Dave Clark

I'm doing both. The tea is strong but i like that it's stimulating the bitter receptor/vagus nerve. I think the capsules are napalming the bad bacteria as I've been passing white strands (a lot). I'm also trying it topically as i think it may have some benefits with hairloss and skin problems.. How often do you take chaparral @Dave Clark?
At one time I was using it quite a bit, when I was fighting fungal issues, etc. Now, I will just drink some tea on the weekends, or whenever I feel like I need some detoxing. I also blend the chaparral with other herbs to make a tea blend, but it is so strong in taste that you can't put much in unless you don't mind the medicinal flavor. I personally don't mind the strong taste, and drink it as a straight tea with no problems. I wish there was more research being done on chaparral (NDGA), as I wonder if there isn't a sweet spot where this herb can be very beneficial without being toxic. NGDA was used as a preservative/antioxidant for years. I make an oil infusion using chaparral and either MCT or olive oil, then I add that to lotions as an antioxidant, and I also add a few drops to my culinary oils along with a rosemary oil infusion as an antioxidant, with some vitamin E as well. In this chemically toxic world, I think chaparral could be helpful, but there seems to not be much science exploring it.

Inaut

So apparently making the tea reduces chances of toxicity greatly as the resins (ndga) separates from the herb. Just anecdotal (what i've read online) but it was speculated that "toxicity" started from people ingesting the herb (capsules) as opposed to drinking the tea. Either way I think you are right about trying to find a sweet spot. I'm thinking 3 cups of tea a day may be the upper limit. James Sloane didn't seem concerned at all about it's issues and he's typically pretty sound when recommending herbs. Anyways, thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

Inaut

Taken from this truthinaging article (comments box)

JUNE 28, 2019
by Griffon
The actual NDGA compound itself is not toxic, and is found in the resinous coating of the leaves. There are 4000 chemicals in the leaf, most of which are toxic enough to cause liver failure. A tempid water extract, ie sun tea, is necessary to get the NDGA Without the rest of the ingredients inside the leaf. It has been proven, by the AMA during the 70's, to cure almost every form of cancer. The FDA banned it, because it was being sold as crushed whole leaf, killing people.

FEBRUARY 25, 2019
by Jesse
The toxicity of NDGA was a result of how the liver metabolized the acid into O-Methy and gluthathione conjugates. Afterwards, discovering by methylation of NDGA the toxicity is virtually non-existent.The article that researched the methylation NDGA is attached. I thought you might like to read about how it NDGA is being researched now. You can find the information I am referring to under Pharmacological activities of the creosote bush starting on page three. I hope this is insightful to you as it was to me.

Best,
Jesse Spurlock

Dave Clark

Taken from this truthinaging article (comments box)

JUNE 28, 2019
by Griffon
The actual NDGA compound itself is not toxic, and is found in the resinous coating of the leaves. There are 4000 chemicals in the leaf, most of which are toxic enough to cause liver failure. A tempid water extract, ie sun tea, is necessary to get the NDGA Without the rest of the ingredients inside the leaf. It has been proven, by the AMA during the 70's, to cure almost every form of cancer. The FDA banned it, because it was being sold as crushed whole leaf, killing people.

FEBRUARY 25, 2019
by Jesse
The toxicity of NDGA was a result of how the liver metabolized the acid into O-Methy and gluthathione conjugates. Afterwards, discovering by methylation of NDGA the toxicity is virtually non-existent.The article that researched the methylation NDGA is attached. I thought you might like to read about how it NDGA is being researched now. You can find the information I am referring to under Pharmacological activities of the creosote bush starting on page three. I hope this is insightful to you as it was to me.

Best,
Jesse Spurlock

I don't know, what do think Inaut? Seems to me that one either reads to stay away from using it orally, that it is toxic, and then you read where many people have been using capsules of it for years with no problems. I still would like to see some real up to date science that isn't based on some health writer's opinion.

Dave Clark

Looks like we haven't heard the last of NDGA. I always had a feeling this compound might have potential. And, it shows why chaparral has historically been successful as a cellular cleanser, etc.

Inaut

A little update... The last two days I was experiencing some strange gut issues and skin rashes and I'm fairly confident it was from the chaparral. As I already mentioned I was passing what looked like shoe strings in my stool. Yesterday was explosive to put it mildly.... Anyways, all the bad symptoms have dissipated and I’m feeling back to normal. I’m taking it with pau D’Arco and tribulus now. Also using it as a hair rinse. I think it is a strong cleanser and I’m beginning to thing it’s quite safe, provided you use the dried herb (to eliminate alkaloids(.

Jam

I've been using the "aged" dried herb (which lacks the potentially dangerous alkaloids) for years without issues or detox symptoms. I think the liver and kidneys need to be in relatively good health, though. The very few confirmed deaths reported in the literature were all people taking large quantities of it together with toxic drugs such as acetaminophen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals