Chaparral

Inaut

Jam

Abstract​

Background​

β-lactam antibiotics are a class of broad-spectrum antibiotics consisting of all antibiotic agents that contain a β-lactam ring in their molecular structures. β-lactam antibiotics are only known to be isolated from fungi (e.g. Acremonium chrysogenum, Penicillium chrysogenum and Aspergillus nidulans) and bacteria (e.g. Streptomyces clavuligerus). We have shown that botanical extracts prepared from Larrea tridentata have strong antimicrobial activity against several bacteria, including members of Staphylococcus and Streptococcus genera.

Methods​

Through resistance studies, inhibitor assays, and ELISA testing, we demonstrated L. tridentata extracts may contain a β-lactam type antibiotic activity.

Results​

Based on the estimated β-lactam concentration within the extract, the antimicrobial activity of the L. tridentata extract was approximately 2000–8000-fold greater against Staphylococcus as compared to other β-lactams, penicillin or ampicillin. In the L. tridentata extract, this increased activity was found to be associated with the likely presence of a cofactor leading to increased potentiation of the β-lactam activity. This potentiation activity was also observed to enhance the activity of exogenously added natural penicillin antibiotics.

Conclusions​

Although constituents were not isolated in this study, the results obtained strongly support the presence of β-lactam type antibiotic activity and antibiotic potentiation activity present in ethanolic extracts prepared from L. tridentata.
Keywords: Staphylococcus aureus, Bacteria, Antimicrobials, Antibiotic, β-Lactam, Tincture, Larrea tridentata

Jam

Jam

Inaut

I had a terrible throat infection. I was rather concerned tbh and contemplated going to a doctor. I calmed down and started gargling with lugols/salt water throughout the day and began drinking about a half teaspoon of powdered chaparral in hot water 3 times daily. In two days I can see significant improvement and will continue with this regime until resolved. I’m sure it’s a combo effect but i really do think chaparral is a special herb and gets a bad wrap (purposefully) for liver toxicity and estrogenicity. It’s powerful stuff and maybe big pharma doesn’t want something so simple to help.

Dave Clark

I had a terrible throat infection. I was rather concerned tbh and contemplated going to a doctor. I calmed down and started gargling with lugols/salt water throughout the day and began drinking about a half teaspoon of powdered chaparral in hot water 3 times daily. In two days I can see significant improvement and will continue with this regime until resolved. I’m sure it’s a combo effect but i really do think chaparral is a special herb and gets a bad wrap (purposefully) for liver toxicity and estrogenicity. It’s powerful stuff and maybe big pharma doesn’t want something so simple to help.
I haven't seen anything about chaparral and estrogenicity. Have you read that chaparral can increase estrogen, etc. ?

Jam

Right on. I started having the first sympyoms of a cold a couple days ago after my son brought it home from school... 1 cap of Arizona Naturals before each meal and 600mg in 2 doses of KI stopped it dead in its tracks.

Last edited:

Jam

I haven't seen anything about chaparral and estrogenicity. Have you read that chaparral can increase estrogen, etc. ?
Crock of bs to be honest.

Inaut

Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1995 Jan;208(1):6-12 Chemical studies of phytoestrogens and related compounds in dietary supplements: flax and chaparral. Obermeyer WR, Musser SM, Betz JM, Casey RE, Pohland AE, Page SW Division of Natural Products, Food and Drug Administration, Washington, District of Columbia 20204. High-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) and mass spectrometric (MS) procedures were developed to determine lignans in flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) and chaparral (Larrea tridentata). Flaxseed contains high levels of phytoestrogens. Chaparral has been associated with acute nonviral toxic hepatitis and contains lignans that are structurally similar to known estrogenic compounds. Both flaxseed and chaparral products have been marketed as dietary supplements. A mild enzyme hydrolysis procedure to prevent the formation of artifacts in the isolation step was used in the determination of secoisolariciresinol in flaxseed products. HPLC with ultraviolet spectral (UV) or MS detection was used as the determinative steps. HPLC procedures with UV detection and mass spectrometry were developed to characterize the phenolic components, including lignans and flavonoids, of chaparral and to direct fractionation studies for the bioassays.

peat referenced. I've heard others claim it too but that doesn't stop me. I tend to agree with @Jam

Jam

"8. Conclusions​

This review has summarized the results of studies on the effects of dietary phytoestrogens on endocrine regulation in humans. Although preclinical studies (in vitro and in animal models) show phytoestrogens to be potentially estrogenic compounds, triggering anti-estrogenic effects in the organism, the results of epidemiological studies are ambiguous.
The impact of phytoestrogens can vary according to the life stage (Figure 3). There is particular concern about how they may affect pregnant women, as this has been poorly studied. Soy isoflavones appear not to have any influence on sex and thyroid hormones, bone remodeling and IGF. However, a study focused on cardiometabolic risk reported a decrease in the level of insulin and insulin resistance in pregnant women consuming higher amounts of isoflavones. Although phytoestrogens transfer from maternal blood to the fetus, no effects have been observed in early life. Nor have endocrine changes been found in infants fed with soy formula, except in a retrospective study carried out in the first year of life of infants with congenital hypothyroidism, which reported an increase of TSH but no conclusive effects on thyroid function. Nevertheless, consumption of phytoestrogens in conditions of insufficient iodine and hypothyroidism may negatively affect thyroid function and favor endocrine imbalance, although such effects have not been observed in euthyroid individuals living in areas with enough supply of iodine. In later stages of childhood, an increase of androgens and decrease of estrogens associated with dietary phytoestrogens have been observed in girls and boys, respectively."

Considering that 1) the amount of phytoestrogens in chaparral (and other "estrogenic" herbs) that one would be ingesting is very low as these herbs are not used as food but as medicines; and that 2) phytoestrogens, being in most cases much weaker than regular endogenous estrogen are actually working as anti-estrogens by preventing stronger estrogens from binding, it seems to me that unless you are pounding soy (I pity you) there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, it would seem that pounding phytoestrogens could in theory have goitrogenic effects in hypothyroid people with iodine deficiency. Again, though -- who in their right mind would guzzle soy isoflavones like that??

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals