Green Tea, Fluoride Reduce Thyroid Function By As Much As 50%

Does the Caffeine supression of T3 mean that when caffeine is ingested the body needs less T3 to sustain a normal rate of metabolism?. In other words, that caffeine can act as a substitute for Thyroid hormone?.

Dave Clark

I am not an expert on Mate but it looks like it is not even related to Camelia Sinensis (the tea shrub).
Mate (drink) - Wikipedia
Holly - Wikipedia

So, I don't think we can compare Mate drinkers to green tea drinkers, especially considering that Mate has a lot more caffeine than green tea. I think it's comparable to espresso in terms of caffeine content.
Kmown as Yerba Mate, it comes from a tree in the hollie family, I beleive. Not fresh in my mind, but there are issues with this herb too, I think it was a cause-cancer issue.

I believe it was because yerba mate is drunk very hot, which may hurt the esophagus and the stomach enough to cause cancer. Also, mate tea is roasted, which may form carcinogens just like coffee.

burtlancast

The fact that the catechins in green tea by themselves affect thyroid hormones is worrying.
The fluoride part in green and black tea can be easily counter-acted by supplementing iodine ( 20 mg/day= 3 lugol drops), which is known to increase fluoride and bromide excretion by a factor of x10 or x20.

As others pointed out, green tea has health benefits like inhibiting aromatase.

Here it says catechins can protect neurons, reduce the incidence of some cancers, of type 2 diabates, of cardio vascular disease, reduce cavities by killing mouth bacterias, an increase longevity.

So it's all a balancing act i guess.

B

Braveheart

The fact that the catechins in green tea by themselves affect thyroid hormones is worrying.
The fluoride part in green and black tea can be easily counter-acted by supplementing iodine ( 20 mg/day= 3 lugol drops), which is known to increase fluoride and bromide excretion by a factor of x10 or x20.

As others pointed out, green tea has health benefits like inhibiting aromatase.

Here it says catechins can protect neurons, reduce the incidence of some cancers, of type 2 diabates, of cardio vascular disease, reduce cavities by killing mouth bacterias, an increase longevity.

So it's all a balancing act i guess.
I will continue to drink my 2-3 cups green tea....Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) Is the Most Effective Cancer Chemopreventive Polyphenol in Green Tea
3 Anti-Cancer Health Benefits of Green Tea

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Clark

It seems that under a Peat microscope not much is acceptable in Peat world when it comes to plants. Seems like estrogen, PUFAs, polyphenols, serotonin-increasing and nitric oxide increasing substances, fiber, etc., etc. all make serious Peaters shy away from plant based products. I just wonder if sometimes we throw the baby out with the bathwater, since a lot of these plant based things have proven health benefits that are validated by science and shown to be effective and safe for thousands of years. Many cultures that have consumed teas have vibrant health and longevity. I drink many different teas, herbal as well as camelia sinesis, and here is one that may be good to put into the rotation: Thе Health Benefits of Gynostemma: The Herb of Immortality

B

Braveheart

It seems that under a Peat microscope not much is acceptable in Peat world when it comes to plants. Seems like estrogen, PUFAs, polyphenols, serotonin-increasing and nitric oxide increasing substances, fiber, etc., etc. all make serious Peaters shy away from plant based products. I just wonder if sometimes we throw the baby out with the bathwater, since a lot of these plant based things have proven health benefits that are validated by science and shown to be effective and safe for thousands of years. Many cultures that have consumed teas have vibrant health and longevity. I drink many different teas, herbal as well as camelia sinesis, and here is one that may be good to put into the rotation: Thе Health Benefits of Gynostemma: The Herb of Immortality
Your comments re Peat/Peaters are well put...this herb/tea, I've never heard of... sounds too good to be true...am initially skeptical of all well done internet sales stuff...but will research.

Dave Clark

Your comments re Peat/Peaters are well put...this herb/tea, I've never heard of... sounds too good to be true...am initially skeptical of all well done internet sales stuff...but will research.
I only grabbed the first info link that came up to me, I was pressed for time, but there is plenty of scientific based information on the web. You will be impressed with what you read, there is a reason it was called the immortality herb. Here is the best price I have found for bulk jiaogulan (the other name for this herb): Liang He Wild Grown Jiaogulan * Gynostemma pentaphyllum - Yunnan Sourcing Tea Shop Oh, and BTW, when finding this site, I realized it is a great site for the tea enthusiast, check out their pu-erh, oolong, and other teas.

J

jb116

I like to acknowledge that sometimes benefits outweigh the cons. If I eat sushi, IF, I will have about 3 cups green tea along with it. But I don't really drink it any other time.

Dave Clark

Just curious, if green tea reduces thyroid function by 50 %, does that mean that China and Japan have the highest rates of hypothyroidism in the world? You would certainly think so based on that assertion. What are the statistics?

Constatine

Just curious, if green tea reduces thyroid function by 50 %, does that mean that China and Japan have the highest rates of hypothyroidism in the world? You would certainly think so based on that assertion. What are the statistics?
Green tea consumption is high in very long living countries so its obviously at least not overly damaging. Also the fluoride content of teas probably vary's a lot. My biggest concerns regarding green tea is that it seems to reduce immunoglobulin A quite significantly and can be a problem for people with immune related issues.

Hasn't Ray mentioned in one of his articles about the huge number of cretins in China? There are whole villages of cretins there, which are basically hypothyroid people, and I recall that the number of people affected was in the order of millions. Legume comsumption probably is one of the drivers of this fenomenon, and maybe tea comsumption also plays a role.

paymanz

I think i have to stop drinking tea because of fluoride, all studies showing very high levels in tea.

Im curious about boron , does it really remove fluoride from body? What if i add some boric a id to my tea?

ezrapoundlover

I remember Peat talks about how the reason for tea consuming cultures in East-Asia being estrogen dominant being due to them smoking and not Tea consumption.

Considering the dht raising factor of Green tea, would it not be wise to still consume it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals