Phytoestrogen is having an anti-estrogenic effect.....Sage (Salvia officinalis) tea

ddjd

Ive been experimenting with Sage tea recently. Originally i read that Sage can lower TGF-beta so i wanted to try it for helping against male pattern baldness.

But ive started noticing some strong anti estrogenic effects. I definitely have issues with estrogen and I am slightly overweight and often have a bloated stomach. If i drink sage tea, the bloat is noticably smaller to the point where people are commenting on it. The only other thing that had a similar effect like this was Exemestane - an irreversible aromatase inhibitor i.e. estrogen blocker.

I know peat and haidut generally suggest to be very careful with phytoestrogens but Sage is showing some very positive properites for me at least.

other benefits ive noticed:

- strong cognitive boost
- better focus
- relaxing effect suggesting some GABA- promoting properties
- more resilient in stressful situations

Usual estrogenic traits, at least for me, are weak bladder, bloating, palpitations, inability to handle stress, and sage tea is actually having the opposite effect.

some interesting articles i came across on sage (Salvia officinalis)

This article suggests Sage has anti-diabetic properties:
Bioactive Components of Salvia and Their Potential Antidiabetic Properties: A Review

Reduces Nitric Oxide synthesis / inflammation:

ANTI-NEURODEGENERATIVE EFFECTS OF SAGE (SALVIA OFFICINALIS)

whollygod

Ive been experimenting with Sage tea recently. Originally i read that Sage can lower TGF-beta so i wanted to try it for helping against male pattern baldness.

But ive started noticing some strong anti estrogenic effects. I definitely have issues with estrogen and I am slightly overweight and often have a bloated stomach. If i drink sage tea, the bloat is noticably smaller to the point where people are commenting on it. The only other thing that had a similar effect like this was Exemestane - an irreversible aromatase inhibitor i.e. estrogen blocker.

I know peat and haidut generally suggest to be very careful with phytoestrogens but Sage is showing some very positive properites for me at least.

- strong cognitive boost
- better focus

Usual estrogenic traits, at least for me, are weak bladder, bloating, palpitations, inability to handle stress, and sage tea is actually having the opposite effect.

Bioactive Components of Salvia and Their Potential Antidiabetic Properties: A Review

What brand do you use?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

What brand do you use?
1659708762466.png

this is the one i was using, but you can only get this brand in germany i believe.

its such a perennial plant you coudl probably just pick/grow your own

boris

Why are you thinking that it’s the phytoestrogens causing this? Milk has estrogen too, but we don’t credit the estrogen in it for milk’s positive effects.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Why are you thinking that it’s the phytoestrogens causing this? Milk has estrogen too, but we don’t credit the estrogen in it for milk’s positive effects.
Where did I say that I think it's an effect of the phytoestrogens?

I simply said for me it's a phytoestrogen substance with antiestrogenic effects

Jonk

Same with rheum palmatum root (rhubarb). Contains phytoestrogens but doesn't seem to have an estrogenic effect whatsoever. Maybe all the other substances like anthraquinones makes up for it.

rzero

Haidut mentions here that flavones such as apigenin (in sage) are anti-estrogenic, but I often see them described as phytoestrogens.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Same with rheum palmatum root (rhubarb). Contains phytoestrogens but doesn't seem to have an estrogenic effect whatsoever. Maybe all the other substances like anthraquinones makes up for it.
Interesting point, maybe there some quinone like properties in sage/ Salvia officinalis

I've started just eating fresh sage from the garden, a few leaves here and there and the effect is POTENTLY anti estrogenic. A very interesting herb

In a separate thread someone mentioned;

"Salvia Officinalis extract has flavonoids that act the same way, positively modulating GABA-A, and could be helpful as alternative, maybe even restore (GABA) sensitivity"

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Sage also contains Naringenin and Apeginin!!
- 2 of haiduts favourite flavonoids!!! (Idealabs Melanon is of course Apigenin and Naringenin)

Attachments

• Phenolic-acids-and-flavonoids-content-of-sage-and-rosemary.png
    Phenolic-acids-and-flavonoids-content-of-sage-and-rosemary.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 19

rzero

;)
Haidut mentions here that flavones such as apigenin (in sage) are anti-estrogenic, but I often see them described as phytoestrogens.

rzero

But I'm glad you revived this thread. I had forgotten about it.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

But I'm glad you revived this thread. I had forgotten about it.
Appreciate your points as well but if sage is estrogenic why has it been used for centuries to decrease breast milk production? It's known to reduce lactation

rzero

Appreciate your points as well but if sage is estrogenic why has it been used for centuries to decrease breast milk production? It's known to reduce lactation
My point is it looks like it is NOT estrogenic, and that the classification as a phytoestrogen is dubious. The study was just a citation for the flavone content.

An idea mentioned by some before is that weaker plant estrogens block the stronger endogenous estrogen activity for a net decrease in estrogenic activity.

Last edited:

redpanda

- strong cognitive boost
- better focus

sage is very high in phytomelatonin

OP
ddjd

ddjd

sage is very high in phytomelatonin
I don't know anything about phytomelatonin. Would it have a net positive or negative effect on sleep/ overall health??

Also interesting that sage has been used for centuries by women for post menopausal hot flashes.

As haidut mentioned " Hot flashes are cortisol/estrogen. Menopause can be reframed as simply an excess of estrogen/cortisol and not enough progesterone. There are case reports of postmenopausal women becoming of child-baring ability again after progesterone supplementation."

And to back up the mechanism this study here shows that sage increases progesterone and testosterone!

"150 and 200 μg/ml of Salvia significantly increased progesterone production

- Significant stimulation of testosterone release was recorded at 200; 250 and 300 μg/ml"

Dave Clark

All this makes me think of how people are admonished from consuming things known to have estrogens, without really knowing if there are other components that are either balancing or negating the estrogenic effects. That's why I wonder if Peat often throws the baby out with the bathwater sometimes, just because it has some phytoestrogens or is an unsaturated molecule, etc. Definitely more science is needed to see whether just because something 'has' a compound in it, does it ultimately create the same effect as the singular compound. I think some of this falls into reductionist thinking.

rzero

All this makes me think of how people are admonished from consuming things known to have estrogens, without really knowing if there are other components that are either balancing or negating the estrogenic effects. That's why I wonder if Peat often throws the baby out with the bathwater sometimes, just because it has some phytoestrogens or is an unsaturated molecule, etc. Definitely more science is needed to see whether just because something 'has' a compound in it, does it ultimately create the same effect as the singular compound. I think some of this falls into reductionist thinking.
Or, like I mentioned, that the estrogens themselves are producing the net anti-estrogenic effect.

From what I understand, this is the logic around here with LSD and serotonin.

redpanda

I don't know anything about phytomelatonin. Would it have a net positive or negative effect on sleep/ overall health??

Also interesting that sage has been used for centuries by women for post menopausal hot flashes.

As haidut mentioned " Hot flashes are cortisol/estrogen. Menopause can be reframed as simply an excess of estrogen/cortisol and not enough progesterone. There are case reports of postmenopausal women becoming of child-baring ability again after progesterone supplementation."

And to back up the mechanism this study here shows that sage increases progesterone and testosterone!

"150 and 200 μg/ml of Salvia significantly increased progesterone production

- Significant stimulation of testosterone release was recorded at 200; 250 and 300 μg/ml"
it's plant melatonin, and will benefit sleep and is anti-estrogenic

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom