MEDICINAL HERBS I LOVE

BURDOCK ROOT

I first discovered burdock tea when my son sent home a box of different things from Japan, when he was living there, while in the NAVY. Among many things, was burdock tea. He said it is popular over there. After reading so many good things about it, I gave it a try and have loved it ever since. It's roasted flavor makes it a really good substitute for coffee, with cream or milk and sugar.

"People take burdock to increase urine flow, kill germs, reduce fever, and “purify” their blood. It is also used to treat colds, cancer, anorexia nervosa, gastrointestinal (GI) complaints, joint pain (rheumatism), gout, bladder infections, complications of syphilis, and skin conditions including acne and psoriasis."

"An experiment in rats found that an extract of burdock root enhanced sexual behavior, though not to the same degree as Viagara (sildenafil), a drug used to treat erectile dysfunction. It also increased serum testosterone levels, compared with the control."

NETTLE

I have written about my affinity for nettle in many threads, including my The Root Of Gray Hair thread. Not only is stinging nettle leaves good for reversing gray hair, a good source of vitamin K1 and great for histamine issues, it's leaves and roots are good for raising testosterone levels, by blocking estrogen.

"Nettle roots help the body to maintain more beneficial forms of testosterone. They also act as aromatase inhibitors, which means they block the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. This is important for both men and women who want to maintain their muscle, hair, energy, and libido."

DANDELION

I started taking dandelion when I was having gall bladder problems 15+ years ago. After reading the book "Eat Right For Your Blood Type Diet", and finding that it is highly beneficial for "O" blood types, for digestion and for it's blood clotting abilities, I have stuck with it all these years. Not only is it excellent for cleansing the kidneys and liver, it is also well known for fighting cancer.

"The ability to combat cancer is not a claim made lightly, but dandelion seems to show promise in study after study after study. Dandelion may slow cancer's growth and prevent it from spreading. The leaves are especially rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients which combat cancer. Dandelion root extract, on the same note, has shown its ability to induce apoptosis or cell death in prostate and pancreatic cells."

CASACARA

I have known for many years that casacara is good for constipation, but I thought the tablets were too harsh on my body, so I gave them up years ago. After learning Ray Peat's endorsement of casacara, and how it fights cancer, I added it back into my health regimen, this past 6 months, but now I take it in tea form, just a half teaspoon of loose tea steeped and sweetened with orange marmalade.

"The bark of the Cascara tree is also rich in the compound, emodin, which is known to be anti-fungal and anti-microbial. This supports its traditional use for expelling parasites; however it has also been found to be effective against a range of bad bacteria including; Helicobacter pylori, E coli, and several strains of Staphylococcus aureus. It has also demonstrated anti-fungal action against Candida."

bornamachine

Thanks for the list!

professor_sue

This is excellent, thank you! I have also enjoyed the benefits of those herbs as well, in tea form (burdock, nettles, and dandelion) and capsules (cascara). I have found that it helps me maintain internal balance with respect to bacteria, fungi, etc.

freyasam

Thank you! I used to wild harvest nettles when I lived up north but they don't grow where I am now. I'd like to try them again to decrease estrogen and slightly increase testosterone (as a woman). I see that you take capsules of nettles. Have you ever tried getting the loose dried herbs to make a tea?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is excellent, thank you! I have also enjoyed the benefits of those herbs as well, in tea form (burdock, nettles, and dandelion) and capsules (cascara). I have found that it helps me maintain internal balance with respect to bacteria, fungi, etc.
With so many people using "slippery slope" suppliments I thought it would be highly beneficial to share an alternative method, sharing herbs that have done an amazing job bolstering my health. Thanks for bolstering the point of this thread with your testimonial!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you! I used to wild harvest nettles when I lived up north but they don't grow where I am now. I'd like to try them again to decrease estrogen and slightly increase testosterone (as a woman). I see that you take capsules of nettles. Have you ever tried getting the loose dried herbs to make a tea?
I would love to try sauteed fresh nettle leaves. A Greek restaurant owner, nearby, raves about having them everytime he goes back to Greece. They sound scary to me because I don't know anything about their "stingers". Have you felt their pain growing them yourself?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The seeds of the Nettle plant are considered a kidney trophorestorative. Although the seeds are most recommended to restore kidney balance, the leaves can also be used. Nettle leaves are highly nutritive with astringent, anti-allergenic and anti-rheumatic properties. Both the leaves and the seeds are used to reduce edema and treat varicose veins. Nettles is a handy herb. This plant does all the above, while supporting your circulatory, digestive, respiratory, digestive, AND endocrine systems."

Veritas IV

Chamomile

I barely drink it anymore, but it was a mainstay for many years, for colds and evening relaxation. There's a few discussions here about it.

Here's a thread that says it helps synthesize Glycine in the body, and the effect lasts for a couple of weeks after abstention.

There's also a warning in there not to consume Chamomile during pregnancy and nursing!

Nettle seeds are available online, the plant is pretty forgiving of where it's grown. And as usual, if planting anything in a pot, the bigger the better for plant growth. A 5 gallon bucket with potting soil ought to accommodate 2 full grown plants, might need a little extra fertilizer in late June or early July depending.

Pretty sure the whole plant can be consumed in one way or another btw.

Around my parts the wild plants are nicknamed "20 minute itch" but in reality the itch often subsides well before that. It's not stubborn like poison ivy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Chamomile

I barely drink it anymore, but it was a mainstay for many years, for colds and evening relaxation. There's a few discussions here about it.

Here's a thread that says it helps synthesize Glycine in the body, and the effect lasts for a couple of weeks after abstention.

There's also a warning in there not to consume Chamomile during pregnancy and nursing!

Nettle seeds are available online, the plant is pretty forgiving of where it's grown. And as usual, if planting anything in a pot, the bigger the better for plant growth. A 5 gallon bucket with potting soil ought to accommodate 2 full grown plants, might need a little extra fertilizer in late June or early July depending.

Pretty sure the whole plant can be consumed in one way or another btw.

Around my parts the wild plants are nicknamed "20 minute itch" but in reality the itch often subsides well before that. It's not stubborn like poison ivy.
Hmmm maybe I will give it a try growing it. I suppose gloves can keep the sting away. Have you sauteed them?

Veritas IV

Have never eaten Nettle as it was considered a weed around here. Later i became aware that some europeans were eating it. Am open to the idea though. Gloves will keep the sting away, and yes the pain comes on fast similar to a bee sting, a little less powerful.

Edit: am so sorry, distractions galore here. It is Chamomile that works with Glycine, as per that thread i linked.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Have never eaten Nettle as it was considered a weed around here. Later i became aware that some europeans were eating it. Am open to the idea though.

Gloves will keep the sting away, and yes the pain comes on fast similar to a bee sting, a little less powerful.

Going by that thread, apparently Nettle works with Glycine somehow. I'm wondering if it's confirmation enough for us to list it as a "benefit".

Pretty sure Chamomile does not work with Glycine, if i understood your question correctly, but it certainly feels powerful when you drink it. Will try to research it further, if i find any worthy outside links i'll post it here.
Ohhh ok nettle and gelatin is the optimal combo. I am gonna try it out on my husband :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Going back through it I see it said "chamomile BOOSTS the "biosynthesis" of glycine".....

"According to this study: two weeks of daily chamomile tea ingestion helps to boost the biosynthesis of glycine... and evidently this effect remains pronounced even two weeks after stopping chamomile."

Perry Staltic

I just noticed the 3 main ingredients in the detox tea I got at Aldi are burdock, nettle and dandelion.

Perry Staltic

Woah! Send a pic of that! Is it a new tea or one you have used before?

I've used it for a few weeks

csm_simply-nature-organic-herbal-tea-bags-703346-d1_e9a96aafde.jpg

Veritas IV

Found an overall good resource for Nettle growing and final processing, with extra info included on top of that:

Interesting blurbs from the article:

- What causes that burning sensation? Upon contact, the tiny needles pierce the skin and release chemicals including acetylcholine, formic acid, histamine, and serotonin, which trigger inflammation and pain that can unfortunately last for up to several hours

- The sting of the fresh leaves is said to have healing properties, such as helping to reduce inflammation, improving circulation, and even combating allergies. Some people purposely sting themselves to encourage the release of an anti-inflammatory response. This method has been used to reduce joint pain, such as what is experienced by those with arthritis.

- According to Maria Noel Groves, author of “Grow Your Own Herbal Remedies,” one cup of tea infused for 4-12 hours contains “approximately 500 milligrams of calcium in a highly bioavailable form,” meaning it is easy for the body to absorb and put to use. She goes on to say that it is also high in magnesium, potassium, silica, and chlorophyll.

As a lifelong gardener there's a few minor changes i would suggest for a small-time grower. I would plant the seeds in tray flats indoors and put it into the hottest room or spot in the house. This will make them sprout much faster, and going by amazon reviews, Nettle has stubborn seeds that take weeks to sprout. You can put them in seedling trays or even disposable aluminum pans filled with potting soil. Of course the soil must stay slightly damp till they sprout. One way to prevent it from drying out is to cover them, but you must check them every day for two reasons: 1) to see if they've sprouted 2) to circulate the air to prevent the dirt from getting moldy. Once they've sprouted you must give them bright light asap otherwise they'll grow into saggy spaghetti noodles. Outdoor sun is preferable if it's warm enough, or spotlight a CFL bulb very close to the sprouts.

Once they've grown their second or third pair of leaves they ought to be ok to transplant into a proper container, or directly into the ground. Careful because they are invasive, they spread through their roots and seed. Planting into buckets or larger flower pots would make their spread easier to control.

Maybe we should have an herbal gardening subforum? I'd be more than happy to participate.

Hope this helps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals