Malabsorption, Diarrhea, Itchy skin

ZeroFries

I've been experiencing fructose and lactose malabsorption for a couple years now. I think using kratom 3-5 times per week (8-12g) for a few years might have caused it. After abstaining from kratom, the malabsorption slowly got better until I could tolerate 500ml milk and 100g sugar over the day.

Recently, they have become worse again. I drank much more alcohol than normal in December which may have caused it. I stopped drinking alcohol, but since January, can only tolerate 20-30g sugar per day. I drink lactose free milk and seem to tolerate it. However, I'm now having issues with many vitamins and supplements: magnesium glycinate (160mg), vitamin D (100ug), vitamin C (500mg), and nicotinamide (500mg) all give me diarrhea.

I've also been experiencing itchy skin since the digestive issues started. Applying cream 3x per day and using a humidifier has been very helpful but hasn't totally banished itchiness.

If I stick to white jasmine rice, fresh meat, and some cooked vegetables (zuchini, mushrooms, Bok Choy) digestion is pretty good, although still having 2-3 BMs per day, compared to 1-2 when my digestion was better.

Is it worth testing for SIBO? Any other potential ways to improve some of these issues?

chimp

Try having a bit of carrot salad and/or well boiled mushrooms every time you eat. Prior to this I was just eating a carrot salad once a day away from a meal. This completely solved my loose stools and my dandruff has gone down. Hope this helps.

youngsinatra

Could be a gallbladder issue. I used to have IBS-D, itchiness and fat malabsorption which got fixed by correcting bile flow. Stagnant bile (cholestasis) can cause a lot of weird digestive issues.

thetaflow

Could be a gallbladder issue. I used to have IBS-D, itchiness and fat malabsorption which got fixed by correcting bile flow. Stagnant bile (cholestasis) can cause a lot of weird digestive issues.
May I ask how you corrected your bile flow? Thanks.

youngsinatra

May I ask how you corrected your bile flow? Thanks.
Low-dose liquid thiamine pyrophosphate did it, almost miraculously. I only take roughly 3-5mg a day, holding it sublingually for 2-3 minutes, then swallowing it.

I use the brand „Metabolics“ and they only use thiamine pyrophosphate and distilled water. It‘s also relatively cheap at 15$ or so.

mattmm24

I've been experiencing fructose and lactose malabsorption for a couple years now. I think using kratom 3-5 times per week (8-12g) for a few years might have caused it. After abstaining from kratom, the malabsorption slowly got better until I could tolerate 500ml milk and 100g sugar over the day.

Recently, they have become worse again. I drank much more alcohol than normal in December which may have caused it. I stopped drinking alcohol, but since January, can only tolerate 20-30g sugar per day. I drink lactose free milk and seem to tolerate it. However, I'm now having issues with many vitamins and supplements: magnesium glycinate (160mg), vitamin D (100ug), vitamin C (500mg), and nicotinamide (500mg) all give me diarrhea.

I've also been experiencing itchy skin since the digestive issues started. Applying cream 3x per day and using a humidifier has been very helpful but hasn't totally banished itchiness.

If I stick to white jasmine rice, fresh meat, and some cooked vegetables (zuchini, mushrooms, Bok Choy) digestion is pretty good, although still having 2-3 BMs per day, compared to 1-2 when my digestion was better.

Is it worth testing for SIBO? Any other potential ways to improve some of these issues?
Quit your supplements for a while. Those seem to be the biggest problem that people like to ignore. Try just eating really nutritious food and watch all of that dissapear. Add in a red light sauna and chiropractic work and see how you feel.

OP
Z

ZeroFries

Quit your supplements for a while. Those seem to be the biggest problem that people like to ignore. Try just eating really nutritious food and watch all of that dissapear. Add in a red light sauna and chiropractic work and see how you feel.

Yeah, I think that's probably the best bet. I get impatient wanting to fix things with some kind of solution like a supplement, but just not pissing off my gut and giving it time to heal on its own is a good idea.
Low-dose liquid thiamine pyrophosphate did it, almost miraculously. I only take roughly 3-5mg a day, holding it sublingually for 2-3 minutes, then swallowing it.

I use the brand „Metabolics“ and they only use thiamine pyrophosphate and distilled water. It‘s also relatively cheap at 15$ or so.
This is good to know, thanks! Do you have any idea of low dose benfotiamine might work? I tried 300mg and couldn't tolerate it but maybe at 3-5mg I could.

thetaflow

Interesting, thank you for the details.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals