Magnesium Study

marcar72

I finally found a pretty substantial and all inclusive study on magnesium supplementation so I thought I'd post a link to it here. I plan on personally supplementing with good old Espom salt, one level teaspoon in 8 oz of water. Seems to me to be very cost effective and free of excipients/fillers. One level teaspoon is roughly 500 mg of Mg of which roughly 250 mg will be absorbed and 200 mg retained, plus it's a low enough dose for me so as to not cause a laxative effect. Here's a link to the study: http://www.jle.com/e-docs/00/04/15/FE/article.phtml :2cents

bradley

Curious why you are choosing mag sulfate when it's mag chloride that is better absorbed and retained. Its more costly, but you get your money's worth, and the stuff from the Zechstein Sea is incredibly pure.

Apparently Magnesium Bicarbonate is the most bioavailable form. There are several recipes on how to make ones own MagBicarb water.

Mittir

I have never seen anyone recommending oral magnesium sulphate except for
constipation. I have only seen it used in bath or intravenous injection.
I wonder if there is a reason that most people use Epsom salt bath instead of
ingesting it orally. I would be careful about taking high dose before
making sure it does not have major side effects.
I think magnesium sulphate creates sulphuric acid reacting
with stomach hydrochloric acid. Not sure about this reaction.
I hope someone knows the exact chemical reaction.

jyb

How do you know it's pure for oral consumption? The fact that there's no explicitly added ingredient is just one part of the story. Take sea salt for example, RP mentioned its heavy metal content. Same thing for a few dextrose like sugars - it seems pure, but gets contaminated in the processing.

himsahimsa

Right. So the only criteria for oral Mg supplementation is cost of the material in dollars/gram Mg and, of course, freedom from contaminants. Good find. I use citrate and carbonate because they work with the way I prepare food. Citrate tastes good by itself and in anything slightly acid like OJ or lemon aid or salad with vinegar, some soups and definitely (sprouted) chilly. Carbonate goes into soda water to become bi carbonated (and is great for cleaning up after a bad meal).

Kray

himsahimsa said:
Right. So the only criteria for oral Mg supplementation is cost of the material in dollars/gram Mg and, of course, freedom from contaminants. Good find. I use citrate and carbonate because they work with the way I prepare food. Citrate tastes good by itself and in anything slightly acid like OJ or lemon aid or salad with vinegar, some soups and definitely (sprouted) chilly. Carbonate goes into soda water to become bi carbonated (and is great for cleaning up after a bad meal).

I have always taken oral magnesium, either citrate (Calm brand) or glycinate. But I am confused reading other posts about this. OJ is a good source of magnesium but I may have a citrus problem, so is oral form of mag ok, or is it just not a good thing to take orally? What is a good supplemental amount per day for an older person (over 55)? Thanks!

Kray

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask how much magnesium you supplement, and is it a daily thing? I know coffee has a fair amount (probably variable), oj (which I am off at the present). Over the past few years I've supplemented with 400-600mg/day, in addition to any foods. Do you feel it necessary to take with food, or anytime? I think the citrate can be either/or, but I've been hesitant to take much of any form with food because I wasn't sure if it had a "tums" effect, which I would not want.

himsahimsa

Magnesium citrate is a salt so it does not effect pH.
I buy bulk (Amazon) and eat about 1/2 tsp/D. I don't worry about how much it is. It's enough.

Magnesium carbonate, when transformed to percarbonate in carbonated water, is not especially alkaline because the concentration is low and the carbonate isn't very alkaline to begin with. Try it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Kray

himsahimsa said:
Magnesium citrate is a salt so it does not effect pH.
I buy bulk (Amazon) and eat about 1/2 tsp/D. I don't worry about how much it is. It's enough.

Magnesium carbonate, when transformed to percarbonate in carbonated water, is not especially alkaline because the concentration is low and the carbonate isn't very alkaline to begin with. Try it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Great, thanks for that picture. btw- can you link me to your mag citrate brand? If I am understanding the carbonate, is that what form is found naturally in mineral waters? I've read Gerolsteiner is a good source of mag, and I have that around most days, sometimes to mix with juice, or by itself. Do you happen to know if that is a significant enough amount to count toward daily intake?

Thanks himsa, I appreciate your help :)

TubZy

It makes me wonder why Ray doesn't advise mag chloride over sulphate.

Allergenic supposedly,...even though I thought sulfates would be more allergenic..so I'm not still entirely sold either, even though I originally used to use epsom salt instead of chloride

x-ray peat

I think Ray said he likes Magnesium Carbonate because it increases CO2 in the body as a side benefit to the Mg. He prefers OJ and epsom salt baths IIRC

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals