Lunula / Thyroid Function/ General Health

tara

narouz said:
Yeah, I have them on all fingers...smallest on my little fingers.
(somewhere in my youth I was taught one should push the cuticle back from time to time...
anybody else taught that?)

Yes, I think I was taught that too. No idea why.
I only have lunulas on my thumbs now. No idea if I had them everywhere when I was younger, and if so when I lost them.

narouz

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95755/
narouz said:
(somewhere in my youth I was taught one should push the cuticle back from time to time...

I only have lunulas on my thumbs now. No idea if I had them everywhere when I was younger, and if so when I lost them.

Maybe they're still there tara,
and you just have to do some hardcore cuticle pushing... :?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

narouz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95757/
tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95755/
narouz said:

Maybe they're still there tara,
and you just have to do some hardcore cuticle pushing... :?
They'd have to be pretty tiny to be hiding under those little cuticles . :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Peatful

Lost mine ten years ago slowly after birth of my youngest.

My temps and pulse are good, but I have only regained two lunula on my right hand. Index and middle.
Thumb always there.

Has anyone seen a full 6 finger two thumb recovery?

Xisca

I have none.

artlange

On my hands are ten well developed lunulae. The pinky lunulae are relatively smaller compared to the full nail size than the others.

I have a book of chinese medicine and they use lunulae as a diagnostic indicator. Dr. Chi's Fingernail and tongue analysis, Third Edition, by Tsu-Tsair Chi, NMD, PhD.

here are some quotes from Ch 4 if the book on pages 14 and 15.

"These lunulae represent the cellular oxygen levels in the patient."
"By 14 years old, all lunulae should be present except on the pinkies."
"Absence of one or more lunulae (non-pinky), or smaller lunulae than normal, signals a deficiency in cellular oxygen levels and poor circulation."
"If there are large lunulae on every fingernail (including the pinky nail where lunulae should not appear) then the chance for heart disease is high."

I took some pictures of my hands in Feb 2017 and now in July 2017. I have been supplementing with NDT for more than six months. I the Feb pictures of the pinky lunulae are not really clear enough to tell for certain, but it seems the present pinky July pictures show slightly reduced lunulae size compared to the Feb pictures. (Now both pinky's lunulae are about 1/6 of the nail surface compared to all of the other fingers whose lunulae are about 1/4 of the nail surface. I'll see what my pinky lunulae look like in Dec 2017, to see if they are getting smaller from NDT and other Peating activities that reduce the chance for a heart attack.

dfspcc20

I asked Ray Peat about them a couple years ago. Here was his response. (this is also in the RP quotes thread)

"I always had them before I took thyroid, have never had one since then. I don't know what they mean."

artlange

this paper makes me think of the following questions:
Is there a relation between missing Lunulae and low thyroid?
Is there a relationship between low thyroid and depression?

some of Dr. Chi's comments on page 16 of the previously mentioned book

"Fewer than eight lunulae on the fingernails represent poor circulation. Other coexisting symptoms are cold hands and feet, numbness, and memory loss. a person who has no lunulae at all suffers from anemia, depression, and low blood pressure and is highly at risk for cancer"

artlange

RED LUNULA
Histopathology of the red lunula: new histologic features and clinical correlations of a rare type of erythronychia. - PubMed - NCBI
J Cutan Pathol. 2013 Nov;40(11):972-5. doi: 10.1111/cup.12218. Epub 2013 Sep 19.
Histopathology of the red lunula: new histologic features and clinical correlations of a rare type of erythronychia.
Morrissey KA1, Rubin AI.
Author information
Abstract

The lunula is the semi-lunar shaped area seen at the proximal aspect of the nail unit. It is the most distal aspect of the nail matrix that can be visualized through the transparent nail plate. The term red lunula describes erythema that partially or completely replaces the normal white color of the lunula. Red lunulae have been associated with a number of dermatologic and systemic conditions. However, the etiology and histopathology of the red lunula have not been characterized. We report a case of red lunulae of the fingernails in an adult male. Histopathologic examination revealed an increased density of benign-appearing and mildly dilated vascular channels present in the superficial papillary dermis of the nail matrix. To our knowledge, this is the first report of distinct pathologic findings seen on histologic examination of a red lunula. The increased vascularity of the lunula seen microscopically correlates with the clinically observed red color. These findings raise the possibility that systemic or local factors are responsible for angiogenesis within the nail unit in disorders associated with the red lunula.

© 2013 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

note:
When Dr. Chi looked at my nails in March 2017, he saw a slight reddening in the lunulae, perhaps caused by increased vascularity. so what hormone or other chemical is angiogenic? It seems that red lunula might be treated by reducing that hormone or chemical with appropriate nutrition or supplement. My peating may have has a positive effect, because now they are definately "less red". Whopee!

aliciahere

Very curious... I've often wondered about this. I'm diagnosed hashimotos and celiac. Temps and pulse aren't bad.

I have all on my lunulae, but both of my thumbs are very large, index fingers are average size and the rest of them are very small. Does it say anything about them being a-symmetrical? I also have slight redining and bad beaus lines. Cuticles and hangnails are bad on my thumbs.

artlange

I have scanned the chapter of Dr. Chi's book that is relevant to lunulae.

Attachments

• 2017-07-21-0002.jpg
    2017-07-21-0002.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 2017-07-21-0003.jpg
    2017-07-21-0003.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 86

RePeatRePeat

I have them only on my thumbs and this is how it has been since childhood when I first became aware of lunulae. I noticed how pretty my aunt's nails were and also noticed she had pretty half moons at the base of them (didn't particularly notice pinkies at the time). I looked at my own fingernails and saw lunulae only on the thumbs and wished I had them on my other fingers. Didn't know they might reveal health status. It happens that my aunt has had cancer and overcame it many years ago, has terrible arthritis (I think she said rheumatoid), and had several miscarriages. I have none of these problems. I have had some of the problems mentioned above, though - cold hands and feet, anemia, foot numbness, depression, and low blood pressure. However, those are all resolving since beginning B12 injections. Perhaps the lunulae indicate B12 status.

HLP

I think getting enough protein can have an effect on "moons". My son foolishly did a vegetarian diet for a year and his moons disappeared completely. When he addressed his protein deficiency and added meat and dairy back, his moons returned. He has much better health since he started Peating. Gelatin is helping tremendously. I have all my moons.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have scanned the chapter of Dr. Chi's book that is relevant to lunulae.
artlange, appreciate you scanning that chapter. Did you ever try the vein lite mentioned?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals