Great Quote On Thyroid Health

answersfound

Growing up, I always wondered why people had certain tendencies, personality traits, etc. Ray Peat's work made everything click for me. I always had this deep rooted belief that something was legitimately wrong with me. I was incredibly sensitive, developed slowly, cried from time to time, made erratic decisions, felt extremely insecure and obsessive, extremely shy and anxious, argumentative and irritable, dry hair, woke up very early feeling unrested, frequently cold, had nightmares, etc. The list goes on and on with symptoms I felt to be not normal compared to people around me. I think spiritual circles would describe me as highly identified with ego. And I was right, something was wrong with me. I inherited poor thyroid health from my mother. My mother doesn't eat much, so I can imagine when she had me, she was definitely not eating a caloric surplus to nourish me. She equates being thin with being healthy. To this day, her diet consists of bagels and margarine, peanut butter and jelly, salads, black coffee, water, and occasional protein. And it's tough not to be bitter about this, but I now believe this period of illness over the past 4 years was a necessary learning process for me and brought me to a physiological blueprint that I will have for the rest of my life. So it's bittersweet. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I have what I consider to be an advanced understanding of health relative to the rest of society. I thought this quote below was great because I had trouble expressing myself like I truly would have like to as a child, despite taking the SSRI's that claimed they would adress my issues. I wondered why some people could talk to a wall and had this excitement about life, meanwhile I could barely hold a 5 minute conversation and always felt dull and apathetic. Prior to discovering Ray Peat, I had this feeling of constantly searching for an answer to my problems. I feel so bad that a lot of people end up spending their entire life with this feeling, while others don't think twice about these things. It's like society is set up to keep us suffering and throw us off track. Every recommendation and medical treatment pushes us farther away from the truth.

It's quotes like this that remind me that I am on the right path:

“The Thyroid is the personal power and self expression component of Maslow’s Hierarchy. This is easily understood when we think about how our throat is “our voice” and when we speak our truth and express ourselves in the world, we own our personal power and experience self-expression. Under functioning Thyroid problems are believed in many healing circles to be caused by “not having a voice” and not expressing ourselves in the world. Physically the Thyroid is intimately connected to our Brain Cortex – and our interpretation of Self.”

kineticz

I'm very similar to you, mother is obese and hypothyroid, cannot handle stress or criticism in the slightest, lived most her life on welfare.

I could never express myself properly and choose the right path socially, instead I tried to please people.