Voice Tone And Health

Is there any good evidence of voice tone/pitch/etc. and health status in some way? It must be affected by things hormonally/developmentally/etc.

Anecdotally there seems to be. Usually when people are pretty metabolically ill or hypo or suffering from some other serious condition they're probably bound to have weaker voices since the vocal chords are possibly bound to be weaker as well. A good example of this is the stereotypical "old person" who is bedridden or highly inactive with the shrill or "dying" type of voice we think of when picturing someone elderly. It can be confusing since some people have always had these types of voices (like Ray Peat -- no offense) but aren't necessarily unhealthy because of it despite people thinking it may be a sign of poorer health.

There are other elements at play such as hormones and development and maintenance of the various "co-factors" in voice too (posture; breathing; even mood/confidence somewhat too). There is lots of "evidence" floating around where people claim simply high testosterone is what makes deep/powerful or "heavy" voices, but this theory seems to flatline when you look at some pro bodybuilders who still don't have deep voices despite lots of anabolic/androgenic hormones and such over years. Clearly it's not simply just taking steroids in every case that results in voice changes -- often times I hear of much more subtle changes that induce it than dramatic ones (like simply fixing metabolism/eating more better foods/taking certain supplementation/fixing depleted nutrients or such and etc.).

So I am unsure and not sure if any others can definitively figure what makes ones voice weaker or stronger or heavier or lighter or etc. I know there has to be some correlation with health, as why else would lots of hypo/weakened/sick and very old people tend to have more "shrill" or just blunted type voices more often than not?

Another thing I notice that can tell someone's voice depth/deepness/tone is probably their cough. I've heard some people cough with a thunderous-like resonance and others like a little puppy. It's similar in males and females -- guys with the "deep, manly, thunderous/booming" voices go in part with women who have heavier/prominent but still feminine-like voices too, matching with the "wimpy guy" voice and the "shrieking, girly-ish/frail" undertones in some women too. I'm just wondering what this is and what factors are at play here overall. Is it not just thyroid and testosterone? What other conditions play a role in voice?

I ask because it's not set in stone -- many people's voices are bound to change especially if they clean up a really poor diet or start lifting weights and have a more balanced hormonal profile and such. My voice used to be nasally/wimpy, all the way to a lightly more "heavy" voice for a brief period of time, now back to somewhere in the middle. Nothing extreme, but I have noticed changes & believe various things influence it lifelong; it's often a way people tend to judge health (think of the "sick voice" for example).

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Well when people have a “fake voice” it sounds like it’s coming from their throat, like Jordan Peterson, rather than from the depth of their being. That’s my scientific assessment. This can be easy to do as an experiment. Try to speak and let your voice vibrate up and down your spine, and then speak from a constrained chest/throat and hear how you sound to yourself.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Well when people have a “fake voice” it sounds like it’s coming from their throat, like Jordan Peterson, rather than from the depth of their being. That’s my scientific assessment. This can be easy to do as an experiment. Try to speak and let your voice vibrate up and down your spine, and then speak from a constrained chest/throat and hear how you sound to yourself.

Interesting. Trying that my voice sounds more frail/weak if spoken without using the chest/throat more -- must be a bad habit I learned with also a history of bad posture. I guess it's probably better to use the "real voice" as reference than one that's pumped up more to sound stronger/clearer/etc. and isn't naturally flowing that way.

mangoes

I think the leading theory in the voice and it’s depth or lightness, is the length and thickness of the vocal cords themselves. Sopranos will have the shortest, thinnest vocal folds in comparison to the other extreme, basses. I don’t think it is just down to length or thickness on their own, I remember reading about a baritone bass, who had short cords but a lot of thickness. There are studies done on the length and thickness of cords in regards to vocal fach (tenor, baritone, mezzo, etc).

Testosterone does have a thickening and lengthening effect on the cords during puberty and is what’s mainly attributed to the voice “drop.” If you look at FTM transgender people, they usually see a significant deepening of the voice on T therapy. Or if you look at vocal feminisation surgery, they will both shorten and thin the cords surgically to achieve a lighter, female voice.

certain conditions, like reflux or spasmodic dysphonia can cause problems with the voice and it’s output of tone. If there’s inflammation or damage in the throat locally, like with reflux you’re going to get a hoarse, weaker voice.

I remember seeing a young boy on YouTube who had the “voice of a grandpa,” or the “sick” voice you mention- when he was very young he had a serious illness and had to be intubated. The intubation likely led to the damage of the cords which persisted long after- as his parents said as soon as it was removed the voice had changed.

so if there’s local damage, you can be in pretty good health otherwise, but have a bad voice.

Korven

From my experience since quitting all dairy, milk, yogurt, cheese, butter etc + eggs my voice has noticeably dropped in pitch. I've gone from what I'd call normal, close to what Danny Roddy sounds like, to a more manly, booming voice. I also feel like my tone has become way more assertive and not as shaky.

I also feel a lot more androgenic (full muscles, more defined jawline, etc) and have way less brain fog so I'm thinking my testosterone levels must have shot up by quite a bit, though I don't have any blood work to prove that.

Gone Peating

From my experience since quitting all dairy, milk, yogurt, cheese, butter etc + eggs my voice has noticeably dropped in pitch. I've gone from what I'd call normal, close to what Danny Roddy sounds like, to a more manly, booming voice. I also feel like my tone has become way more assertive and not as shaky.

I also feel a lot more androgenic (full muscles, more defined jawline, etc) and have way less brain fog so I'm thinking my testosterone levels must have shot up by quite a bit, though I don't have any blood work to prove that.

I don't really know if there is much a correlation tbh

I have a deep voice but my androgen levels are not high. I know "high T" guys that have soft higher pitched voices

I also know a guy who is definitely low T, probably weighs about 140 tops at 6 ft tall, that has one of the deepest voices I've ever heard, it's very offputting

LUH 3417

I have a deep voice but my androgen levels are not high. I know "high T" guys that have soft higher pitched voices

I also know a guy who is definitely low T, probably weighs about 140 tops at 6 ft tall, that has one of the deepest voices I've ever heard, it's very offputting
I’ve noticed the same. Or guys who supposedly have high E from physical traits having very deep voices. I personally think it has more to due with anatomy and your pelvis, spine and thoracic cavity.

MatheusPN

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=...71.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEVxhzL3-3221NTfc-ndTaeT25ugw
A shortish text on voice and hormones: DHTdht, excess gh, ACTH , estrogens, menstrual cycle and thyroid are all mentioned. It seems that voice could become deeper ("lower frequency") through negative hormonal changes too.
If I remember right, hypothyroid was more correlated with a deeper voice...

That topic of voice is very similar to the beard... Anti-androgens (minoxidil, castor oil etc) are the most established ways to induce beard growth and at the same time androgens...
Even finasteride/ dutasteride users said that their DHT or androgens was lowish/ zero and they continued to have a full and thick beard... A very complex topic apparently
My guess goes towards inflammation, a high hCG/ GH and secondly by a good space to androgens/ estrogens, they being the most significant hormones for voice and beard...

Conclude that, after puberty ceases, hormones aren't so important to determine beard/ voice, a man will have almost the same type in his 20 all the way to his 80... @lvysaur

Last edited:

Korven

True, this guy is a good example - big bodybuilder taking steroids with presumably high T but has a very nasally, high pitched voice:

nwo2012

True, this guy is a good example - big bodybuilder taking steroids with presumably high T but has a very nasally, high pitched voice:

BBs actually usually have the highest estrogen levels due to aromatization.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Except some who more heavily try to suppress estrogen while also using high anabolic steroid/etc. doses.

Another thing I've wondered is how this works between males and females, as the process isn't likely black or white or simple. I have a female relative who is pretty young and has a deep voice. Not extreme, but noticeably heavy/deep undertones to her voice (deeper than male relatives). Nothing else about her is masculine or such -- just the voice (people have even mocked her for it). So I'm not sold on the idea either that deep voice is always good/healthy or associated with men and their hormonal levels (otherwise all higher T/DHT/etc. guys growing up would sound like Barry White -- and it would make no sense for girls with relatively normal hormonal profiles overall to sometimes have booming/heavier tones).

This has much more complexity with the voice development throughout earlier life probably (diet/environment/etc.) -- and how synergistic the process is with hormones.

steel_reserve

A few days after recovering from an illness my voice is amazing. It feels pleasurable to use it.

Similar results from cold pack on my balls. Or hot weather.

Roni123@

I realized that when I was following Peat's teachings (I still do) I decided to get fat with a lot of white sugar in my diet and in this period my viz became more relaxed and good to talk

now that I'm thin my voice sounds louder and stronger, it's weird

*obs I always wonder why Peat has his voice like that, he wasn't like that in his older videos

andrewlee224

I have a bit of a deep but somehow muffled voice. I notice when I'm healthier it has more clarity, and maybe a bit less depth. But also feels like producing sound is effortless, unlike when I'm in worse health.

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
Is there any good evidence of voice tone/pitch/etc. and health status in some way? It must be affected by things hormonally/developmentally/etc.

Anecdotally there seems to be. Usually when people are pretty metabolically ill or hypo or suffering from some other serious condition they're probably bound to have weaker voices since the vocal chords are possibly bound to be weaker as well. A good example of this is the stereotypical "old person" who is bedridden or highly inactive with the shrill or "dying" type of voice we think of when picturing someone elderly. It can be confusing since some people have always had these types of voices (like Ray Peat -- no offense) but aren't necessarily unhealthy because of it despite people thinking it may be a sign of poorer health.

There are other elements at play such as hormones and development and maintenance of the various "co-factors" in voice too (posture; breathing; even mood/confidence somewhat too). There is lots of "evidence" floating around where people claim simply high testosterone is what makes deep/powerful or "heavy" voices, but this theory seems to flatline when you look at some pro bodybuilders who still don't have deep voices despite lots of anabolic/androgenic hormones and such over years. Clearly it's not simply just taking steroids in every case that results in voice changes -- often times I hear of much more subtle changes that induce it than dramatic ones (like simply fixing metabolism/eating more better foods/taking certain supplementation/fixing depleted nutrients or such and etc.).

So I am unsure and not sure if any others can definitively figure what makes ones voice weaker or stronger or heavier or lighter or etc. I know there has to be some correlation with health, as why else would lots of hypo/weakened/sick and very old people tend to have more "shrill" or just blunted type voices more often than not?

Another thing I notice that can tell someone's voice depth/deepness/tone is probably their cough. I've heard some people cough with a thunderous-like resonance and others like a little puppy. It's similar in males and females -- guys with the "deep, manly, thunderous/booming" voices go in part with women who have heavier/prominent but still feminine-like voices too, matching with the "wimpy guy" voice and the "shrieking, girly-ish/frail" undertones in some women too. I'm just wondering what this is and what factors are at play here overall. Is it not just thyroid and testosterone? What other conditions play a role in voice?

I ask because it's not set in stone -- many people's voices are bound to change especially if they clean up a really poor diet or start lifting weights and have a more balanced hormonal profile and such. My voice used to be nasally/wimpy, all the way to a lightly more "heavy" voice for a brief period of time, now back to somewhere in the middle. Nothing extreme, but I have noticed changes & believe various things influence it lifelong; it's often a way people tend to judge health (think of the "sick voice" for example).
I know this is an old post but there are several cranial factors to voice tone and pitch.

People who have a tongue tie will always have a bit of a childlike or high pitched voice because their tongue doesn’t have full range of movement.

Same with if the sphenoid bone is compressed which affects the nasal cavity and airways, they’ll sound more nasally.

Having poor thyroid health can make you speak very monotone, slow, and boring/dragging your words

Having a lip tie prevents full range of lip movement (and tongue too) and can make your voice and expression a bit restricted, low/timid etc.

Regina

Except some who more heavily try to suppress estrogen while also using high anabolic steroid/etc. doses.

Another thing I've wondered is how this works between males and females, as the process isn't likely black or white or simple. I have a female relative who is pretty young and has a deep voice. Not extreme, but noticeably heavy/deep undertones to her voice (deeper than male relatives). Nothing else about her is masculine or such -- just the voice (people have even mocked her for it). So I'm not sold on the idea either that deep voice is always good/healthy or associated with men and their hormonal levels (otherwise all higher T/DHT/etc. guys growing up would sound like Barry White -- and it would make no sense for girls with relatively normal hormonal profiles overall to sometimes have booming/heavier tones).

This has much more complexity with the voice development throughout earlier life probably (diet/environment/etc.) -- and how synergistic the process is with hormones.
I had a lower voice when I was younger. In high school especially. I sang and played guitar and performed alot of folk rock tunes. Almost as low as Stevie Nicks. Then I started studying classical voice and my teacher said, "Oh no, you are a soprano; not an alto." She corrected my chesty sultry singing and taught me how to move through the ranges and into the "mask." (instead of chest). Soon, I was always asked to sing the 1st soprano parts in the Messiah. She said the soprano voice was always there but I had no idea how to really sing. I also think some of it was affectation of wanting to sound cool in high school. Nobody wants to hear some soprano sing a rock song.
So there was the technique issue but also hormones. I can now know if my voice is at all husky, then my estrogen is up. Probably all through puberty and high school, it would have been elevated.
Vocalises (excercises), done properly, can also put the voice in its correct natural range and brighten its clarity. I can hear my voice drift way down when I am lazy, not breathing correctly, tired or otherwise using bad habits.
Many of my young male students tended to affect a deeper voice. I think trying to seem cool. (as did I)

maillol

A classic symptom of thiamine deficiency is stifled vocal cords.

Runenight201

I think the leading theory in the voice and it’s depth or lightness, is the length and thickness of the vocal cords themselves. Sopranos will have the shortest, thinnest vocal folds in comparison to the other extreme, basses. I don’t think it is just down to length or thickness on their own, I remember reading about a baritone bass, who had short cords but a lot of thickness. There are studies done on the length and thickness of cords in regards to vocal fach (tenor, baritone, mezzo, etc).

Testosterone does have a thickening and lengthening effect on the cords during puberty and is what’s mainly attributed to the voice “drop.” If you look at FTM transgender people, they usually see a significant deepening of the voice on T therapy. Or if you look at vocal feminisation surgery, they will both shorten and thin the cords surgically to achieve a lighter, female voice.

certain conditions, like reflux or spasmodic dysphonia can cause problems with the voice and it’s output of tone. If there’s inflammation or damage in the throat locally, like with reflux you’re going to get a hoarse, weaker voice.

I remember seeing a young boy on YouTube who had the “voice of a grandpa,” or the “sick” voice you mention- when he was very young he had a serious illness and had to be intubated. The intubation likely led to the damage of the cords which persisted long after- as his parents said as soon as it was removed the voice had changed.

so if there’s local damage, you can be in pretty good health otherwise, but have a bad voice.

This is the correct answer. If anyone has messed around with instruments, the thicker the string, the deeper the note. In addition, the harder its plucked, the louder it will resonate. In addition, the bigger the chamber, the more it will echo. So to have a deep, rich, resonate voice, a male needs to be able to have thick vocal cords, with strong recruitment, and a voluminous cavity from which to emanate it from. Obviously hormonal health is important, because the more androgens a male has, the better their ability to build muscle and utilize it, however, the problem most body builders run into is that they are entirely training the wrong muscles for vocal power.

Speaking is a coordinate recruitment of the muscles from the abdominals up through the vocal cords, and the stronger this recruitment is, the more powerful those vocal cords can fire. You can't train your biceps and shoulders and expect to have strong legs. Similarly, you can't train your non speaking muscles and expect to have a powerful voice.

Training the ability to speak properly with correct posture, while maintaining a pro-metabolic diet and avoiding stress, will help a male strengthen their voice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals