Low Dose Naltrexone - LDN

Elron

I'm going to try to get it for my depersonalization, not sure if my med. evaluator will do it but it's pretty low risk and I can show him studies advocating its sufficiency, so...plus, it helps lose weight in combination with bupropion which is pretty rad.

Elron

Update: I got prescribed 50 mg tablets, took my first half tablet so I suppose I'm not doing low dose at 25 mg. Still, it seems to have sensitized me in an odd way because I don't feel as numb as I usually do and that's good.

Simba1992

Just started taking LDN. Any ideas on what to take with it? Does it increase requirements for any nutrients, for example?

I have been taking LDN 1,5 years. Started low 0,5mg and worked myself up to 4,5. First two weeks lively unusual dreams then sleep quality deeper than without LDN. Unfortunately has not helped me noticeably with my RA stiffness and joint pain. Thought about stopping a year ago then was adviced to decrease the dose to 3 mg. No change. Had a pause and started from 0,5mg again. No change. New studies in Norway has shown that LDN has worked better for some when starting with a high dose of 6mg. Keeping this up for 2 weeks and then starting to slowly go down. I am trying this protocol now. Two days gone. Second night did feel a bit less pain. Oh well time will tell. If after two weeks no real effect then I'll just leave it for a while at least. Am also taking Niacindamine 4g a day, and this I feel has made a bigger difference. Doctors who have been using LDN on their patients for decades say that of some reason LDN does not work for 10-15%. The reason not yet known.

Simba1992

@Simba1992 Did you continue to take the LDN at that 6mg dose? Any updates?
It was really strange, I think niacinamide with th high dose of LDN really made me nauseous. It wasn't just the high dose of LDN. Could they really interact? I think I did have less pain though the short time I took the high dose of LDN, 3mg in the evening and 3mg morning. I do have a feeling that RP was right when he said the effect was mainly antiinflammatory and that it should rather be taken short periods in large doses. I am sort of giving up on LDN I think.:( Anyone have any ideas?

Simba1992

It was really strange, I think niacinamide with th high dose of LDN really made me nauseous. It wasn't just the high dose of LDN. Could they really interact? I think I did have less pain though the short time I took the high dose of LDN, 3mg in the evening and 3mg morning. I do have a feeling that RP was right when he said the effect was mainly antiinflammatory and that it should rather be taken short periods in large doses. I am sort of giving up on LDN I think.:( Anyone have any ideas?

Found this quite recent study.
Naltrexone Inhibits IL-6 and TNFα Production in Human Immune Cell Subsets following Stimulation with Ligands for Intracellular Toll-Like Receptors. - PubMed - NCBI

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm currently taking the 4.5mg dose once daily for the last couple of weeks. I read an old peatarian post where she talks about it giving her body a break from stress. Since I had some on hand and thought I'd give it a try.

So far I've noticed improved sleep which is huge since I work 12-16 hours overnight in an ICU. The cyproheptadine and doxylamine that I used for sleep were becoming far too drying and I've been able to mostly avoid those since starting naltrexone. It kills my appetite though so I'm just going to monitor that side effect for now. I've already lost 30 pounds in the last year and I can tell I've lost about 5 more pounds on naltrexone.

All in all I feel more even energy and mood. I read an article recently mentioning that naltrexone can help with proper thyroid function and that seems true for me. I'm staying decently warm in the middle of winter without any supplementary thyroid hormone. I'm on the fence about staying on it long term. I know it's used safely for autoimmune issues and I'm sort of the autoimmune type with celiac/dermatitis herpetiformis but I will probably try taking a break from it in the spring when the sun comes back. I might stop before then if the weight loss becomes an issue.

Katty

Has @haidut ever mentioned adding low dose naltrexone to IdeaLabs? I'd love a sublingual naltrexone option (because it can mess with the gut at first for those who have sensitive guts). Perhaps with the ability to start with really small doses, such as .25mg.

Dave Clark

A couple years back I tried LDN to see if it would improve my allergies, unfortunately it did not. I used the 50 mg tablet disolved in water and then titrated the dose to about 4.5 mg. I also did not have any negative issues while using it, which was for a few months. I would not be shy to use it again if I thought it was needed. The reason I gave LDN a try for the allergy issue was after seeing allergy on the symptom list on several sites, I figured, why not, I've tried everything else. Right now I am going to do the BioSet, there is a practitioner in my area, quite a few people have received remarkable results, hope I get that lucky.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Has @haidut ever mentioned adding low dose naltrexone to IdeaLabs? I'd love a sublingual naltrexone option (because it can mess with the gut at first for those who have sensitive guts). Perhaps with the ability to start with really small doses, such as .25mg.
I like that idea too.

haidut

Forum Supporter

There are reports of acute liver failure from naltrexone when taken in higher doses. If somebody can ask Peat what his opinion on the safety of naltrexone is that would help make a decision.

Simba1992

There are reports of acute liver failure from naltrexone when taken in higher doses. If somebody can ask Peat what his opinion on the safety of naltrexone is that would help make a decision.
Are these liver toxic studies really on LDN? Not on the normal dose, that more than 10x greater?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are these liver toxic studies really on LDN? Not on the normal dose, that more than 10x greater?

Yes, they are. Usually 50mg dose was used. So, LDN should be safer but I am waiting on a few studies using LDN to come out and see if it affected liver function even at the low dose.

Simba1992

Yes, they are. Usually 50mg dose was used. So, LDN should be safer but I am waiting on a few studies using LDN to come out and see if it affected liver function even at the low dose.
I think you may be right. Tried a higher dose of LDN ( Norweigan model) together with high dose of Niacinamide. Made me very nauseous.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peat on LDN:

<on LDN treatment> I think it's safe to take 5 or 10 mg of naltrexone daily for a few days, but I don't think it should be used continuously; I have known people who had good results, repeating the short courses two or three times in a year.

Elron

I was studying high dosed naltrexone to help deal with my depersonalization. I used an acute dose of 300 mg. Didn't work, felt fine. I also studied the dosage limits, and I believe (look it up) it's not till you get into the gram range do you deal with any sort of dangerous damage. Anyways, feel free to look it up and verify!

Katty

OK, thanks for responding. So it looks like Lucy said that Ray thought 5 to 10mg was ok for a short time. 5mg is a really high dose. I was thinking more along the lines of .25mg, at least starting. I think people work their way up to 4.5mg, but many don't need that much.
Of course .25 mg taken for a long time could add up over time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals