Naltrexone Raises Cortisol?

postman

I'm trying low dose naltrexone, I'm on the second day now. It seems to mainly just make me feel a bit off, and make me feel anxious and agitated. Also my chest pain is a bit worse. On the plus side I do feel a bit energized but unfortunately it feels like a very nervous kind of energy, I'm restless. And also ravenously hungry. And my scalp get itchy, I hope it's not making me start losing hair again.

I found some discussions online where people were talking about how LDN is a bad idea to take at night because it raises cortisol and I found a couple of studies that seem to support that notion

Effects of Naltrexone on Cortisol Levels in Heavy Drinkers
Naltrexone effects on cortisol secretion in women and men in relation to a family history of alcoholism: Studies from the Oklahoma Family Health Patterns Project
https://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/0006-3223(88)90057-1/pdf

Cortisol levels during chronic naltrexone maintenance treatment in ex-opiate addicts - ScienceDirect

"In this first study of plasma cortisol in subjects chronically maintained on naltrexone, 9 of the 21 patients (43%) had elevated or relatively high, flattened diurnal variation in cortisol levels. The mean AM cortisol level (20.5 kg/dl) was significantly above normative means and, interestingly, the same as that reported by Volavka et al. (1979) in normals following 20 mg of iv naloxone (20.5 kg/dl). The relatively high, flat cortisol levels of four subject are similar to the well-documented prodrome of Cushing’s syndrome (Doe et al. 1960; Krieger et al. 1971; Weitzman et al. 1971) and further suggests that naltrexone may chronically elevate cortisol levels. Cortisol levels were also significantly lower after naltrexone was stopped."

Is there anyone on the forum that has more knowledge about this drug and how it affects cortisol levels? I'm only taking starting dose LDN 1mg but I'm sensitive to drugs.

S-VV

The first days/weeks on LDN usually make people feel worse. It goes away as opioid receptors upregulate.

S-VV

After that, the increased endo-opioid signaling should actually decrease cortisol

OP
postman

postman

The first days/weeks on LDN usually make people feel worse. It goes away as opioid receptors upregulate.

After that, the increased endo-opioid signaling should actually decrease cortisol

Interesting but what do you base this on? And where can I read more about it? And is there any biological proof of this or is it theory

OP
postman

postman

In one of the studies I linked they took naltrexone for 5 months. In addition to having elevated cortisol levels, some of them also had a disturbed 24h cortisol rhythm.
Cortisol levels during chronic naltrexone maintenance treatment in ex-opiate addicts - ScienceDirect

1.PNG

2.PNG

Broken man

I'm trying low dose naltrexone, I'm on the second day now. It seems to mainly just make me feel a bit off, and make me feel anxious and agitated. Also my chest pain is a bit worse. On the plus side I do feel a bit energized but unfortunately it feels like a very nervous kind of energy, I'm restless. And also ravenously hungry. And my scalp get itchy, I hope it's not making me start losing hair again.

I found some discussions online where people were talking about how LDN is a bad idea to take at night because it raises cortisol and I found a couple of studies that seem to support that notion

Effects of Naltrexone on Cortisol Levels in Heavy Drinkers
Naltrexone effects on cortisol secretion in women and men in relation to a family history of alcoholism: Studies from the Oklahoma Family Health Patterns Project
https://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/0006-3223(88)90057-1/pdf

"In this first study of plasma cortisol in subjects chronically maintained on naltrexone, 9 of the 21 patients (43%) had elevated or relatively high, flattened diurnal variation in cortisol levels. The mean AM cortisol level (20.5 kg/dl) was significantly above normative means and, interestingly, the same as that reported by Volavka et al. (1979) in normals following 20 mg of iv naloxone (20.5 kg/dl). The relatively high, flat cortisol levels of four subject are similar to the well-documented prodrome of Cushing’s syndrome (Doe et al. 1960; Krieger et al. 1971; Weitzman et al. 1971) and further suggests that naltrexone may chronically elevate cortisol levels. Cortisol levels were also significantly lower after naltrexone was stopped."

Is there anyone on the forum that has more knowledge about this drug and how it affects cortisol levels? I'm only taking starting dose LDN 1mg but I'm sensitive to drugs.
Can I ask you about where you bought IT?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals