Low Dose Naltrexone - LDN

Rand56

I decided to try LDN for the first time to see if it can help me with my dysthymia I've been battling for a long time. 2 nights ago was my first dose of it. Good thing I read that longecity thread that is referenced in this thread. Prior to reading it, I was going to just start at the 1.5mg dose, then after reading it, I decided to start with a lower dose. I did 500mcg and even on this dose, it severely effected my sleep. Hard to say exactly how much sleep I did get, but my guess is probably no more than about an hour. It was strange, it felt like I didn't get any sleep at all, but I did remember some dreaming. Woke up with a dry mouth, and felt some extra tension in my high cheek bones. The whole next day <yesterday> I felt worse than normal. I didn't start feeling better until shortly before I was going to go to bed at night. I decided to skip my dose last night and start anew tonight with even a smaller dosage to see how things go. I understand sleep can be effected when starting LDN, but I'm just going to have to do some experimenting on the dosage.

Birdie

I've been taking it LDN for several years now and still find that I get the dreams. I'm on a morning dose (rather than bedtime) and sometime go back to bed after taking it and have some dreams.

Last edited:
I decided to try LDN for the first time to see if it can help me with my dysthymia I've been battling for a long time. 2 nights ago was my first dose of it. Good thing I read that longecity thread that is referenced in this thread. Prior to reading it, I was going to just start at the 1.5mg dose, then after reading it, I decided to start with a lower dose. I did 500mcg and even on this dose, it severely effected my sleep. Hard to say exactly how much sleep I did get, but my guess is probably no more than about an hour. It was strange, it felt like I didn't get any sleep at all, but I did remember some dreaming. Woke up with a dry mouth, and felt some extra tension in my high cheek bones. The whole next day <yesterday> I felt worse than normal. I didn't start feeling better until shortly before I was going to go to bed at night. I decided to skip my dose last night and start anew tonight with even a smaller dosage to see how things go. I understand sleep can be effected when starting LDN, but I'm just going to have to do some experimenting on the dosage.
Really? I've done 50 MG per day before, and it never affected my ability to get to sleep. Then again, I often used ketotifen here and there so that might've guaranteed my sleep, though, I was only taking it 3 out of 7 days in the week.

Sucrates

I had sleep disturbances at 1.5mg. I'd take it and 9pm and wake up at 3am, no problem going back to sleep, strangest thing though, it was like being "maximum awake" for a couple of minutes.

Rand56

I should have given this update earlier. Despite me dropping the dose down the second night I tried LDN for the first time, I had a nightmare. Didn't have one the first night, just a severe lack of sleep. I can't even remember the last time I experienced a nightmare. I know Birdie posted some info earlier in this thread about "disturbing dreams" can be a side effect. Disturbing is putting it lightly.

I was laying on the ground unable to breathe, and my mother at a younger age was there paying no attention to my situation. Geesh, I don't remember any trauma I had in my childhood LOL. Quite the opposite in fact, both my parents were totally awesome. Couldn't have asked for better parents.

In an event it scared the **** out of me, enough for me to ditch taking it for now. Maybe at some point I'll try dropping the dose to rock bottom and start over.

Snowdrop

I'm trying to restart my menstrual cycle with naltrexone, has anyone possibly got any information, studies, experience or ideas about the dosing protocol for something like this?

Also, is it better to dilute in water or alcohol?

Are there any medications you should NOT take with naltrexone?

Is it preferable to take at night?

Thank you!

Sucrates

I'm trying to restart my menstrual cycle with naltrexone, has anyone possibly got any information, studies, experience or ideas about the dosing protocol for something like this?

Thank you!

Water is generally fine for the tablets, there may be exceptions.
Opiates and some immune altering drugs are contraindicated, you should check.
It's not known whether night dosing is necessary or optimal. I've recently started taking it again and I'm AM dosing, sleep disturbances are most powerful at the beginning. I may try to switch to night dosing after a couple of months.

Birdie

Thank you!
Yes, it's diluted in water. I use a 50 mg tab in 50 ml of distilled water. Keeping it in the fridge. I use a syringe to measure my dose. Be sure to shake the bottle first. There are some Facebook LDN groups and lots of info if you do an internet search.

I'd start with 1.o ml dose in the morning or evening. If you find the evening more convenient, you might get some nightmares. I hear most people do not get them. I got them with an evening dose. Switched to morning.

I'd wait 2 weeks before upping the dose to 1.5 for example. Then 2 weeks of that and so forth. But the start dose depends on your weight probably.

It takes quite a while to find your optimum dose. Some re-adjust dose with the seasons and find their needs change. I don't do that.

Birdie

Thank you for your replies @Sucrates @Birdie :)

Have either of you tried 5 or 10mg/day over just several days, as I have seen Ray Peat suggest?

Not me either. I use 3.5ml. Back when I started it, I found info on how to gage your dose by your weight and that seemed to work.
Helped me enough that I didn't want to consider trying what Ray suggested...

Using it for several years now. Such a huge difference in healing time for injuries. What used to take 6 + months, with LDN takes at most 2 weeks. But I've followed Peat's advice on food and all and don't think the LDN alone would do it.

Sucrates

Not me either. I use 3.5ml. Back when I started it, I found info on how to gage your dose by your weight and that seemed to work.
Helped me enough that I didn't want to consider trying what Ray suggested...

Using it for several years now. Such a huge difference in healing time for injuries. What used to take 6 + months, with LDN takes at most 2 weeks. But I've followed Peat's advice on food and all and don't think the LDN alone would do it.

Assuming you stop taking it for surgeries, how long do you take it out for?

Birdie

I haven't stopped for surgeries. Have only had one dental surgery that I can think of sucrates.

JenniferBT

Hello. Im new to the group but I thought Id share my experience with LDN. I started it about 8 months ago for thyroid problems and suspected fibro. I worked up to 4.5 and had some weird side effects so backed down to 3.5 and have stayed there for 5 months. Overall Im very happy with my results. It has helped tremendously with pain and fatigue and mood swings from my bipolar. I has allowed me to stop taking my bipolar meds (lamictal) as my mood no longer cycle and I have an overall sense of well being with the LDN. The only real side effects I had was very vivid dreams for about a month and then they stopped. I had an increase in foot pain at 4.5 but have none of that at 3.5. I highly suggest it for anyone with mood disorders or any auto immune.

Sucrates

Hello. Im new to the group but I thought Id share my experience with LDN. I started it about 8 months ago for thyroid problems and suspected fibro. I worked up to 4.5 and had some weird side effects so backed down to 3.5 and have stayed there for 5 months. Overall Im very happy with my results. It has helped tremendously with pain and fatigue and mood swings from my bipolar. I has allowed me to stop taking my bipolar meds (lamictal) as my mood no longer cycle and I have an overall sense of well being with the LDN. The only real side effects I had was very vivid dreams for about a month and then they stopped. I had an increase in foot pain at 4.5 but have none of that at 3.5. I highly suggest it for anyone with mood disorders or any auto immune.

Welcome JenniferBT.
Great result, might be related to TLR4 or inflammatory cytokines. Do you take it at night?

Waynish

Just started taking LDN. Any ideas on what to take with it? Does it increase requirements for any nutrients, for example?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals