Looking For Some Advice For Digestion Problems

jakealake42

Hello World,

At the suggestion of a friend, I'm here to ask for advice for managing (preferably curing) my digestive problems. They started about 4 1/2 years ago but the symptoms have morphed several times. The symptoms I'm having are (forgive me if I'm too blunt here):

-Food intolerances to pork, potatoes, legumes, nuts, wheat, sometimes dairy, random fruits and vegetables, oats and a few other uncommon grains, and maybe other undefined things
-Stomach and gut pain, almost always 1-2 hours after eating the above foods
-Irritability, strongly tied to some of the above foods (pork, potatos, nuts, and beans)
-Depression, frequently but not always linked to the above foods
-Low libido, and usually difficulty getting and maintaining an erection
-Discomfort during orgasm (the best I can explain it is, it feels like there's a pressure/paralysis in my prostate and that is didn't fully discharge. Also, what might be best described as a light burning)
-Painful bowel movements
-Pain in rectum, especially after standing for long periods of time
-Frequent urination
-Low energy

I'm also taking the following supplements:
-Quercetin 250 mg (a life saver)
-Nettle 870 mg
-Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) 400 i.u.

I also intermittently take:
-Aspirin/Alka Seltzer
-Zinc Picolinate
-Magnesium

Basically, for the past year or two, I've cut out about half of all foods in the American diet and took these supplements, and as a result I get to live a mediocre existence that at least is largely free of the intense 24/7/365 pain I was having a few years ago. So there's some good, but still a lot of bad.

I've been to the doctor quite a bit about these problems, but they have been of little help (you probably guessed that). I was treated for prostatitis with 2 then an additional 4 weeks of Ciprofloxacin in summer 2016, and that actually did a lot to improve (but not completely cure) many of my non-food intollerance symptoms (including the irritability, which used to be almost constant).

All of my blood tests (thyroid, testosterone, STIs, prolactin, glucose, etc) have been well within normal ranges.

What I'm asking of anyone reading this is:
-Do you have any idea what could be causing all of this? I've been consulting Dr. Google for so long that I don't know what to believe anymore with all the talk of leaky gut, SIBO, candida (which I still insist is a Tony Orlando song, and nothing else :laughing:), etc.
-Are there any specific diagnoses that I could discuss with my doctor?
-Is there anything I'm not doing that might help better manage or cure these problems?

Thanks to everyone who read this far, and for any advice or pointers you may have.

Elize

Hi Have you tested for Celiac's disease. Going Gluten free and grain and dairy free may help

Elize

Orion

I would start by reading and listening to RP:
KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors
Ray Peat

Focus on the digestion topics, you could have high serotonin/estrogen issues, sluggish liver.

Search Ciprofloxacin on this forum, I believe it has very serious long term side effects.

Some basics; Sunlight, have fun, lots of calories, high calcium/low phosphate, over 100g protein(diary), very low PUFA intake(low fat could help), easy to digest foods(avoid endotoxin), raw carrot away from meals.

Supplements to research and experiment: aspirin, caffeine, vitamin A/E/K, B vitamins, activated charcoal, cyprohepdatine(Periactin)

Some core staples that I use: skim milk, cottage cheese, fruit(cooked, ripe, dried, juice, frozen concentrates), liver, white sugar, honey, coconut oil, instant coffee

Peatful

I would start by reading and listening to RP:
KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors
Ray Peat

Focus on the digestion topics, you could have high serotonin/estrogen issues, sluggish liver.

Search Ciprofloxacin on this forum, I believe it has very serious long term side effects.

Some basics; Sunlight, have fun, lots of calories, high calcium/low phosphate, over 100g protein(diary), very low PUFA intake(low fat could help), easy to digest foods(avoid endotoxin), raw carrot away from meals.

Supplements to research and experiment: aspirin, caffeine, vitamin A/E/K, B vitamins, activated charcoal, cyprohepdatine(Periactin)

Some core staples that I use: skim milk, cottage cheese, fruit(cooked, ripe, dried, juice, frozen concentrates), liver, white sugar, honey, coconut oil, instant coffee
Hi Jake.
Orion has hit on some great things to focus on.

The ciprofloxacin effects are often overlooked. Check into that.

Also, I would personally stop all supplements for a season and try to go low FODMAPs for a few weeks.
Low fodmap is not that far off from Peaty foods.

Let's say...fruit juices, no pulps, eggs for breakfast, sauteed shrimp for lunch, bone broth, grape juice through out the day, etc.
Then slowly introduce more food.
Eat easy to digest foods...Peaty foods...but go slow and steady....

It wil take time, intentionality, trial and error....but ur body can heal.

OP
J

jakealake42

Hi Have you tested for Celiac's disease. Going Gluten free and grain and dairy free may help

Elize

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have been tested for Celiac's disease and came back negative. I went gluten free about 3 months ago, though, and rice is basically the only grain I eat, except for maybe once a week when I eat something with oats/quinoa/amaranth/etc.

I get really mixed messages about dairy, both on these forums and when I eat it. Something I tollerate it just fine, other times I feel like I should never eat it again.

Elize

Hi Jake - The best is to listen to your body. Even gluten free oats still cause me a problem. The only grain I tolerate is white Basmati Rice, Quinoa is also a problem for me. There are a number of gluten free foods that can still be a problem. Corn, soy etc are gluten free but cause major problems to a number of people. Best is to do an elimination diet and see which foods trigger your problems. Eating gluten free for three months may not be enough it can take much longer to heal damage caused by gluten. In my case it took a very long time to notice a difference. Dairy may not be an issue in cases where you know it is real milk or dairy without gluten. I tried to reintroduce dairy. A few days later had a rash over my arms and body. Went back to the store to find out if the double thick cream I bought here in the US could have something wrong. I was told it is not gluten free as it contains a thickening agent which is gluten derived. Milk is not 100% milk it also contains powder milk mixed into it thus the powder may also contain something. The only milk indicating it is gluten free is the Lactose Free milk "Lactaid" brand. I had no problem with raw milk that I used in both South Africa and Hong Kong. Dairy became a problem for me only since being in the USA. For that reason I no longer trust what I see on labels but allow my body to speak to me and tell me what works for it and what does not.

theLaw

Personally, I would start with 1-4T of activated charcoal in strained fruit juice (every other day) to clean out your gut along with regular carrot salad (not just carrot) each and every day. Also, BCAA's or Cyproheptadine (see below) can provide immediate relief for digestive issues for some people.

Then get your basic macros and micros in place (remember, perfect is the enemy of good):

Optimal diet for increasing lifespan

And then begin by solving the big 3:

+ Clean the Liver

Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension

High Protein Diet Prevents & Reverses Fatty Liver Disease (steatosis)

+ Fix Digestive Issues

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

Cyproheptadine - A Wonder Drug?

+ Reduce PUFA in Tissues down to almost nothing

PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Haidut's Summary Of PUFA

VoS uncoupling thread

Cheers!:cool:

Finally, this is not a quick-fix regiment for weekend warriors, but an opportunity to change your life and health for the better, so take this seriously by reading and testing as much as possible (the search function is far more effective and efficient than any member's advice).

japanesedude

Brewer's Yeast is really effective for digestive problem.
It is also a good source of protein and B vitamins.

Dobbler

Personally, I would start with 1-4T of activated charcoal in strained fruit juice (every other day) to clean out your gut along with regular carrot salad (not just carrot) each and every day. Also, BCAA's or Cyproheptadine (see below) can provide immediate relief for digestive issues for some people.

Then get your basic macros and micros in place (remember, perfect is the enemy of good):

Optimal diet for increasing lifespan

And then begin by solving the big 3:

+ Clean the Liver

Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension

High Protein Diet Prevents & Reverses Fatty Liver Disease (steatosis)

+ Fix Digestive Issues

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

Cyproheptadine - A Wonder Drug?

+ Reduce PUFA in Tissues down to almost nothing

PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Haidut's Summary Of PUFA

VoS uncoupling thread

Cheers!:cool:

Finally, this is not a quick-fix regiment for weekend warriors, but an opportunity to change your life and health for the better, so take this seriously by reading and testing as much as possible (the search function is far more effective and efficient than any member's advice).

Whats your opinion about SCD diet for gut healing? Its basicly RP diet without starch, lactose or sucrose. Fruits, OJ and honey are allowed, as are "aged" cheeses like parmesan, cheddar etc. Only problem for me with it is keeping PUFA low enough, as milk and cottage cheese are not allowed.

Elize

I was just told about trying Restore by Restore 4 Health. Just yesterday my doctor told me about SCD

theLaw

Whats your opinion about SCD diet for gut healing? Its basicly RP diet without starch, lactose or sucrose. Fruits, OJ and honey are allowed, as are "aged" cheeses like parmesan, cheddar etc. Only problem for me with it is keeping PUFA low enough, as milk and cottage cheese are not allowed.

Not familiar with this diet, but avoiding starch and pufa while getting enough fructose should go a long way toward healing digestion.

Amazoniac

Ok, thanks for the link, magnesium will be taken care of promptly, gas/stomach issies are suspects. The annoyance was there at various times but the main problems were at night, I wonder if rice cooked in mineral water (50% calcium carbonate, 20% magnesium) may prevent its own digestion by carrying its own anti acids with it, leading to issues. Regarding gut barrier, elephanto posted concerns with potatoes.

About D'N'A, I have increased my fiber and beet greens intake significantly so some of those fibers may have been problematic (bell pepper, bok choy for immediate cold hands and feet :hearteyes: , carrot), the beet greens don't give smelly stools and may help digestion. However, combined with 1kg of potatoes the overall bulk may be questionable, it makes more sense to mince them or pair them with rice. Bamboom shoots appear safe and helpful.

There was a short discussion on the travis corner about tubers and calcium : phosphorus. Thanks for the picture. Sweet potatoes are fine in low amounts but then become sickening and expensive.
Last time I drank some store bought oj and coke with 2 drops of energin half of my eye became red (felt it), so I'm tempted to give it a rest.

As you know I've been wondering about fat intake and its relevancy for a while, I do wonder if removing most fats for a while provides a relief which cannot be escaped since upon resuming the system is suddenly overloaded with crap. I'm not sure how low fat fits with inflammation of the stomach either.
A lot of potato toxins are concentrated near the skin and are destroyed with cooking. If I remember it right, any remaning toxins fall within a conservative acceptable range that shouldn't cause problems for most people, and they might even help in preventing microbial action to some degree.

If I understood, you plan to add calcium carbonate and magnesium to rice? As long as it's a reasonable amount, it shouldn't cause problems, perhaps it might lengthen digestion a bit. I guess calcium acetate has the advantage of being less prone to form the infamous biofilms.

Search for 'bamboo shoots goitrogen'.

The eye irritation is bizarre, the dose was too low.

Adding a lot of long-chain saturated fats to starches (like some people suggest) can be a bad idea because it will facilitate the absorption of fat-soluble toxins; if the meal lacks calcium, it won't be as effective in sterilizing; and most importantly, the combination of plenty of starch + these fats tends to cause energy overload all while not being able to oxidize one or the other properly.

Wagner83

A lot of potato toxins are concentrated near the skin and are destroyed with cooking. If I remember it right, any remaning toxins fall within a conservative acceptable range that shouldn't cause problems for most people, and they might even help in preventing microbial action to some degree.

If I understood, you plan to add calcium carbonate and magnesium to rice? As long as it's a reasonable amount, it shouldn't cause problems, perhaps it might lengthen digestion a bit. I guess calcium acetate has the advantage of being less prone to form the infamous biofilms.

Search for 'bamboo shoots goitrogen'.

The eye irritation is bizarre, the dose was too low.

Adding a lot of long-chain saturated fats to starches (like some people suggest) can be a bad idea because it will facilitate the absorption of fat-soluble toxins; if the meal lacks calcium, it won't be as effective in sterilizing; and most importantly, the combination of plenty of starch + these fats tends to cause energy overload all while not being able to oxidize one or the other properly.
Ok good to know, tyw suspected the sheer volume which needed to be eaten to get enough calories on a lowish fat diet was a problem for some.

I did a few times already, the carbonated mineral water has 450mg of calcium and 50 mg of magnesium per liter, which is more or less what I use to cook a cup of rice until complete absorption of water. I was considering that it could be a problem for digestion, or maybe too much calcium at once.

I did. :eek: How can Ray recommend them? Is he working for grossman? I ate a lot of them, same for bok choy not long ago.

I think store bought orange juice or even fresh made orange juice can give weird (allergic?) reactions in the eyes. Not sure if it's the case for coke as well. It's odd it affected only half of one eye, perhaps a coincidence.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Hello World,

At the suggestion of a friend, I'm here to ask for advice for managing (preferably curing) my digestive problems. They started about 4 1/2 years ago but the symptoms have morphed several times. The symptoms I'm having are (forgive me if I'm too blunt here):

-Food intolerances to pork, potatoes, legumes, nuts, wheat, sometimes dairy, random fruits and vegetables, oats and a few other uncommon grains, and maybe other undefined things
-Stomach and gut pain, almost always 1-2 hours after eating the above foods
-Irritability, strongly tied to some of the above foods (pork, potatos, nuts, and beans)
-Depression, frequently but not always linked to the above foods
-Low libido, and usually difficulty getting and maintaining an erection
-Discomfort during orgasm (the best I can explain it is, it feels like there's a pressure/paralysis in my prostate and that is didn't fully discharge. Also, what might be best described as a light burning)
-Painful bowel movements
-Pain in rectum, especially after standing for long periods of time
-Frequent urination
-Low energy

I'm also taking the following supplements:
-Quercetin 250 mg (a life saver)
-Nettle 870 mg
-Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) 400 i.u.

I also intermittently take:
-Aspirin/Alka Seltzer
-Zinc Picolinate
-Magnesium

Basically, for the past year or two, I've cut out about half of all foods in the American diet and took these supplements, and as a result I get to live a mediocre existence that at least is largely free of the intense 24/7/365 pain I was having a few years ago. So there's some good, but still a lot of bad.

I've been to the doctor quite a bit about these problems, but they have been of little help (you probably guessed that). I was treated for prostatitis with 2 then an additional 4 weeks of Ciprofloxacin in summer 2016, and that actually did a lot to improve (but not completely cure) many of my non-food intollerance symptoms (including the irritability, which used to be almost constant).

All of my blood tests (thyroid, testosterone, STIs, prolactin, glucose, etc) have been well within normal ranges.

What I'm asking of anyone reading this is:
-Do you have any idea what could be causing all of this? I've been consulting Dr. Google for so long that I don't know what to believe anymore with all the talk of leaky gut, SIBO, candida (which I still insist is a Tony Orlando song, and nothing else :laughing:), etc.
-Are there any specific diagnoses that I could discuss with my doctor?
-Is there anything I'm not doing that might help better manage or cure these problems?

Thanks to everyone who read this far, and for any advice or pointers you may have.

Others have offered good advice, so I'll just give you some quick hits from what I know-

Two of the biggest offenders tend to be wheat and dairy. With wheat, I think the biggest issue is the iron that is added via "fortification." That probably sets of more digestive troubles than anything. Dairy is it's own beast, and irritants can range from anything that occurs naturally in it (casein, lactose, whey, tryptophan) to processes used (pasteurization and homogenization, added vitamins) to different forms (lactic acid fermentation, rennet and such). You could react to homogenized milk but not raw, yogurt but not cheese, one brand of something, but not other. Just know that the source of dairy is basically the same, but the products you can buy can all be wildly different.

All nuts, beans, seeds, and grains are going to be tougher to digest than most foods. Vegetables are often problematic as well, if not cooked.

Amazoniac

Does calcium supplementation increase the bacterial biofilm formation on the digestive system?
I think so, some calcium carbonate passes through the stomach intact (especially if taken away from heavier meals), but when it's complexed with such fatty acids it must reduce the chances of incorporation. Taking smaller amounts at a time minimizes the portion that escapes absorption.

Logan-

I think so, some calcium carbonate passes through the stomach intact (especially if taken away from heavier meals), but when it's complexed with such fatty acids it must reduce the chances of incorporation. Taking smaller amounts at a time minimizes the portion that escapes absorption.

Thanks. How much calcium carbonate do you take at one time, generally?

Amazoniac

Thanks. How much calcium carbonate do you take at one time, generally?
It's often claimed that absorption of calcium is 25-35%, but it can be more than that as you decrease the dose. Instead of taking all at once, it's better to divide it and less must escape digestion:
- Why Ray Recommends Eating Lots Of Calcium (Figure 34.6 - multiply value in mmol by 40 to obtain in mg)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals