Bowel Blockage

Franny

I'm new to any forums and posting my problems, but I'm in desperate need of advice.
I've have severe intestinal problems and have been under two GI docs only to be told I'll have to adapt to this pain and discomfort for the rest of my life in addition to taking Miralax 2x's a day and Go Lightly (colonoscopy clean out stuff) once a month.
Please...any advice would be welcomed.
One GI says I have severe constipation the other GI says I have a partial blockage plus diverticulitis. I take no pain meds and prefer to use natural remedies if at all possible bc I'm afraid traditional meds can cause more damage.
Again, any advice is welcome.

Fran

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Welcome Fran! I'm curious about your current diet? How is your metabolism? Do you have any thyroid issues that you are aware of? Have you ever looked into the herb cascara sagrada?

EIRE24

Magnesium Citrate, stuff is a blessing for both its laxative effect and helps digestive issues. Only recently found this out through trial and error with lots of different supplements.

X3CyO

Magnesium Citrate, stuff is a blessing for both its laxative effect and helps digestive issues. Only recently found this out through trial and error with lots of different supplements.

I agree.

A lot of people have that calm powder drink thing. Thats magnesium citrate. Drinking enough of that will really clean you out.

Or I tried this a while back; not reccomended but I dissolved some gym chalk in coffee and drank that; worked pretty well.

Speaking of which, coffee is a great stimulator of peristalsis. Tobacco too. Id try the former if you havent.

Subway usually causes issues for me, but paired w/ coffee fixes that.

Vinero

I can confirm this. Magnesium cures constipation.

Castor oil has worked well for me when nothing else has. It is a ~95% mono-unsaturated fat.

As a laxative: you can down 1 or 2 tbsp. Consider adding a few drops of something antiseptic (e.g. grapefruit seed extract, clove oil).

To heal the gut, prevent further blockage: consume daily 1/8 tsp of castor oil in water, and occasionally apply castor oil packs to your belly and use a heating pad.

I would also look into taking along with water: activated charcoal (e.g. 2 teaspoons a day) , and supplementing with rock salt (e.g. 1 teaspoon through the day).

Last edited:

tara

One GI says I have severe constipation the other GI says I have a partial blockage plus diverticulitis. I take no pain meds and prefer to use natural remedies if at all possible bc I'm afraid traditional meds can cause more damage.
I have no experience or expertise in diverticulitis, but I think if I had it I'd:
- research aged cascara sagrada as Blossom suggested - it is supposed to be good for reducing gut inflammation
- probably try to avoid seeds etc in berries and things - don't need little bits like that snagging in pockets.
- trying to identify if particular food s are irritating it

Did your GI doc say what they thought was causing the partial blockage?

Dobbler

Ive been suspecting a blockage aswell bcause of my chronic heavy bloating and fullness. Ive been thinking of doing a fast because diet is not seem to be doing much..

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I took miralax for several years but it didn't help my peristalsis or lack thereof. Eating in a more peaty manner and consuming approximately 6 cups of Lactaid milk, 4 cups of OJ and 20 g of gelatin have helped my overall health and I now have peristalsis. I think the minerals and vitamins had been missing for years.

I read Gutsense and Fiber menace and the warnings about miralax encouraged me to look elsewhere and I think you will find help in reading Ray Peat articles and anecdotes on this forum.

Zpol

I also have chronic severe constipation, my doc says I have a "large floppy colon" and nerve damage on the smooth muscle.
I relied on magnesium citrate and oxide for 8 years. I literally cried tears of joy when I stumbled upon these supplements, but 8 years they completely stopped working! I hear these supplements, especially citrite, recommended over and over. I they know help with occasional constipation but I think that long term use causes worse problems, a least for me. Firstly, they did not produce formed bm's, and secondly, they work by drawing water into the colon which stretches out the gut walls (which I believe caused my colon to become 'large' and 'floppy' and also permeable).

I'm now doing Cascara Sagrada 4x per week and supplement called Intestinal Movement Formula 3x per week, plus saline enemas as needed (for when even the stimulant laxatives don't work). Miralax did nothing for me, fiber supp's do nothing for me, Mg citrate and oxide still do nothing for me; if they work for others, I'm all for it... nothing is worse than constipation. Also, if I get really backed up I use Dr. Schulze Intestinal Formula #1 Maximum Strength.

Back to Magnesium; I highly recommend Magnesium Bicarbonate water. Mg citrite or oxide do not resolve a magnesium deficiency, whereas Mg Bicarb water will (the Mg is significantly more bioavailable). It will not work like a laxative, but over time it will help.

I entirely concur with @Dolomite , fixing mineral and vitamin deficiencies will help in the long term. I personally have found Nettle tea with ceylon cinnamon and honey very helpful in restoring minerals. For water I drink Evian (highest in minerals), and my own homemade Mg bicarb water. Selenium is a biggy too, got to get that checked before starting a supplement though. There is some evidence chronic constipation is rooted in a deficiency of anti-oxidants, especially vitamin C.

@Franny , I hope to hear from you again. I really feel for you. This particular health issue has ruined my life in so many ways, it's nice to have someone to talk to about it and exchange ideas.

Richiebogie

Hi @Franny,

Fruit contains soft, water-soluble fibre which passes easily through the gut, whereas seeds (grains, nuts etc) contain tough insoluble fibre often with bad fat, bad amino acids and bad phytates.

I find that fruit combined with a little animal food gives me all of the recommended nutrients and a healthy digestion.

eg.

Dark Chocolate (25g)
Milk with coffee (300ml)

Blended Smoothie:
5 Bananas (500g)
Apple Juice (500ml)
Honey (50g)

Aged Cheddar Cheese (35g)
Potatoes (250g)
Mixed green leaves (33g)
Ketchup

Blended Smoothie: