Arthritis, Infection, Digestion

Ivaylo

Hello,

I'll try to be brief. I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. But at the beginning it was reactive arthritis as a result of urinary infection. Blood tests show that the infection is gone, but the symptoms are still present. Anyway, I have a lot of indigestion and constipation for years. And now when for some reason my digestion and peristalsis starts working normally all symptoms of urinary infection disappear, and the pain and inflammation from the arthritis is gone. This happens most often after drinking coffee, but not every time and I can not understand why. Coffee that influenced me the best was months ago in Germany when I was drinking long black coffee without sugar and without milk, but the coffee was somehow thick and sweet. Since then I can not achieve the same effect despite I've tried tons of different brands of coffee :D

I would be grateful for any advice. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
. And now when for some reason my digestion and peristalsis starts working normally all symptoms of urinary infection disappear, and the pain and inflammation from the arthritis is gone.
Welcome Ivaylo. :welcome
This is just my own personal experience/non-scientific observations but I find that being constipated can cause all kinds of symptoms including urinary ones and I think this is because backed up bowels can sometimes cause pressure in that area. I'm speculating but it could be in your case that endotoxins might be involved when your arthritis symptoms flare up.
Have you tried adding the raw carrot salad or any other antimicrobial fibers to your daily diet?
This happens most often after drinking coffee, but not every time and I can not understand why.
Some people find coffee helps them stay regular. It could also be having a positive impact on your metabolism.
Blood tests show that the infection is gone, but the symptoms are still present.
I had the same experience with Epstein Barr infection. I know many people report the same phenomena when recovered from pneumonia. It seems like there is some residual inflammation in the body that often takes time to resolve.

Good luck to you. I hope you find some relief.

OP
I

Ivaylo

Thank you, Blossom :)

Some people find coffee helps them stay regular. It could also be having a positive impact on your metabolism.

Yes, I understand and that`s why I want to know which coffee exactly does the trick for me and what is the difference between them.

Ania

Hi,
I suffer from terrible jont pains and swelling since I was 17 (I am 44 now). It is not constant, it comes and goes. My RA tests were negative in the past, but few years ago both my RF and anti-CCP provedt to be considerably elevated. Looks like classic RA example. However, about 3 years ago I discovered that I got joint inflamation from milk. It took me so many years to recognize, because the adverse reaction starts after 48 hours. For about 2 years I was completely sumptoms free. I couldn't believe it was as simple as food intolerance. Unfortunately, within the last year I started to develop the same reaction to new foods. Now it is carrot, gelatin and coffee, and recently something new which I still have not identified, since it takes a lot of detective work to find the exact food, when it takes more than two days before the reaction appears. From my research I found, that it is not such rare reaction from food intolerance. I am not saying, that in your case it is the same, but perhaps you could pay attention or take notes just to eliminate this kind of cause. Milk is one of the most common arthiris like symptoms trigger in many cases, but now I see any food can do this. My impression is that I started to react to foods which I was overdoing.

OP
I

Ivaylo

Yes, I already tried different kind of diets, includes and excludes many types of foods with varying success. But the biggest improvement for me is when the coffee begins to work the right way. As I said I react to different coffees differently. Then can eat everything without a problem - no indigestion, no pain, elevated mood.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you, Blossom :)

Yes, I understand and that`s why I want to know which coffee exactly does the trick for me and what is the difference between them.
Oh, I see. It's been mentioned here that Peat drinks his coffee strong and dark roast has been recommended as well. I'll try to find some links for you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

This is a good one on coffee.

"He uses black roast coffee with strong drip brewing. 3 days for 1 lb of coffee means
about 150 grams daily, that is about 2000 mg of caffeine. Extraction of caffeine
depends on temperature and time. I do not know if extraction rate is lower
for small amount of water. If the extraction is 30 percent then there is about
600 mg of caffeine in one cup. With higher extraction rate it can be as high as 1400 mg.
I use instant coffee to get a clear idea about caffeine and magnesium intake.
He uses black roast coffee for Niacin intake, he gets about 40 mg daily.
Black roast coffee has much higher content of niacin. According to nutritiondata
100 grams of instant coffee has about 3000 mg of caffeine.

Edit: Since you posted this question in "Ray Peat Email Advice Depository
Discussion/Comment Thread" , i assumed you read RP's email response on his coffee
habit. I was just talking about his brewing process . If you have not read the email,
he adds that brewed cup of strong coffee with milk to make "cafe con leche".
He does not drink that drip brewed strong cup of coffee straight up."

Ania

Well, each case is different. My seem to be totally anti- peatarian. I am glad you can eat everything, and envy you a little. Good luck with your coffee investigation. I can't be any help in this respect. I react to any coffee, but adversly.