Liver Supplementation

stsfut

I’m not a picky person at all but I absolutely can not stand the taste of liver. Which is unfortunate due to the health benefits. I feel extreme nausea even thinking about it lol. Is it possible due to the fact that I always have high iron saturation % that my body says ‘don’t eat that!’ ?

My main question is, is there any supplemental pill form of liver extract that would be a good choice? I know most brands are probably not at the quality I should be consuming due to poor handling, etc..

miquelangeles

Ray advises against using liver supplements because it cannot be safely dehydrated and it gets oxidized fast.
You could try some recipes for liver pate. Add sauteed onions, salt, cream and your favorite spices to the blend and it will taste good.
And maybe try to find different sources. Liver from free range animals will taste better than from the ones raised conventionally.

mmb82

I see no reason to force yourself to eat liver or use a supplemental pill form if the thought of eating liver makes you nauseous. All of the vitamins and minerals in liver can be obtained from other food sources...liver is just a concentrated source of them.

I personally think liver can be an issue for some people due to large amounts of copper, iron, and vitamin A. If your body already has high amounts of any of these stored up (in your own liver), getting even more can potentially have detrimental effects. Is there a particular nutrient in liver that is making you want to eat liver regularly? You just alluded to "health benefits".

OP
S

stsfut

I see no reason to force yourself to eat liver or use a supplemental pill form if the thought of eating liver makes you nauseous. All of the vitamins and minerals in liver can be obtained from other food sources...liver is just a concentrated source of them.

I personally think liver can be an issue for some people due to large amounts of copper, iron, and vitamin A. If your body already has high amounts of any of these stored up (in your own liver), getting even more can potentially have detrimental effects. Is there a particular nutrient in liver that is making you want to eat liver regularly? You just alluded to "health benefits".
I have fatty liver. I have seen multiple sources showing that liver supplementation can aid in that recovery

L

Lord Cola

I’m not a picky person at all but I absolutely can not stand the taste of liver. Which is unfortunate due to the health benefits. I feel extreme nausea even thinking about it lol. Is it possible due to the fact that I always have high iron saturation % that my body says ‘don’t eat that!’ ?

My main question is, is there any supplemental pill form of liver extract that would be a good choice? I know most brands are probably not at the quality I should be consuming due to poor handling, etc..
I used to dislike eating beef liver until I tried blending it finely, then frying it thoroughly in saturated fat quickly on high heat. Add salt to taste and it actually tastes good.

Oysters and eggs can be used instead of liver. Maybe not quite as good in some ways but quite good in many others.

jomamma007

Better to avoid the desiccated liver supplements. The nutrition labels never match up with real liver.

You can chop it up in pieces and swallow a tiny bit per day. An ounce with some water and won’t even taste it.

You can add it to your ground meat.

You can make a pate.

You can lightly and quickly sear it in butter.

I don’t think have high iron saturation would disclude you from benefiting from it.

The source really makes a difference. All the store bought liver I would get was metallic and disgusting. I found a good source online that is mild and sweet and it’s no problem anymore.

Jerkboy

Listen to your body. If you get nauseous from liver or even thinking about it you probably should not eat it. If you eat it anyways against your will because of a belief then you have fallen for dogma. Which is the opposite of Ray Peats philosophy right?

dukesbobby777

Or just try different types of liver. Pigs liver is rank (tastes like a barnyard’s animal’s backside). Lambs liver when fried correctly (just slightly pink in the middle) with a bit of salt, is lovely.

I found that by following Danny Roddy's liver pate recipe on YouTube, but adding more hot sauce than he does, I could tolerate even ox liver. You basically just fry it, then blend it with milk and cream and hot sauce until smooth, then eat with corn tortillas or something. The hot sauce and creaminess overpowers the liver, not completely, but enough, and the salty starch chips help too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals