List Of Supplements, Herbs, Foods, Etc. That Raise GABA-A

Discussion in 'Mental Issues' started by ImprovingDaily, Jul 20, 2018.

1. ImprovingDaily

ImprovingDaily Member

I'm looking to experiment a bit with increasing GABA-A. Anything you guys and gals know that'll help increase it? Preferably more on the peaty side (I know alcohol raises GABA-A but I wouldn't consider that healthy)

2. MrSmart

MrSmart Member

Atomoxetine (Strattera), but it's not peaty either. Although it did help me a lot for what it is.

3. OP
    ImprovingDaily

ImprovingDaily Member

Interesting. Were you dealing with an anxiety issue when you were taking Strattera? That's one of the issues I'm dealing with

4. Vinero

Vinero Member

Almost anything Peaty will tend to shift the balance of neurotransmitters to GABA and away from Glutamate. Glutamate being the opposite of GABA and causing anxiety and seizures, while GABA promotes relaxation and calmness.
    Increasing estrogen exposure will lower GABA and increase Glutamate. So anything you can do to support your body to eliminate estrogen efficiently will help to produce more GABA.
    Endotoxin is also a factor which lowers GABA production and increases glutamate.

Eating high protein (120g -150g a day), B-vitamins, Vitamins A,D,K,E, Progesterone and Androgens, Aspirin, Magnesium, Taurine and Glycine, some antibiotics etc. are factors that help lower endotoxin and estrogen, which will result in higher GABA and lower Glutamate.

5. MrSmart

MrSmart Member

Yes, but I took them for ADHD, the effect on anxiety was nothing short of amazing. When you clear your mind from ADHD, you start to rationalize your surroundings, and everything makes sense, and you stop being anxious about anything at all, because you are in 'I know everything' state of mind that is very difficult to break.

You should supplement it with Cypro though. It did give me some serotogenic side effects after some months. I usually know when I'm in a dreamy and content state and nothing can bother me or lower my mood at that point. It's hard to explain, but you don't feel grounded and sharp.

That's not all the sides though.

6. OP
    ImprovingDaily

ImprovingDaily Member

Those are all great points and through these about 2 years of heavy Peating, my stress resilience and GABA in general has increased, but I'm looking at specifically GABA-A. Progesterone increases GABA-B, I believe. While highly beneficial, I have a feeling I'm lacking in GABA-A in particular.

7. Vinero

Vinero Member

I did not know that Progesterone raises GABA-B instead of GABA-A. I do know that a metabolite of progesterone called allopregnanolone does raise GABA-A. Also androsterone raises GABA-A.

8. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

Intensive Case Manager
    Taurine (has GABA like actions)
    Glycine (potentiates NMDA)
    Theanine (lowers GLutamate)
    Glutamine (precursor to Glutamic Acid)
    P5p (converts Glutamic Acid to GABA via GAD)
    Magnesium (NMDA antagonist)
    Lemon Balm (blocks GABA degradation)
    Valerian (GABA potentiator)
    Kava (upregulates GABA)
    Magnolia Bark (potentiates GABA)

9. lampofred

lampofred Member

I don't think there is any supplement that can sustainably and safely raise GABAA-ergic activity in the long-run... The way to increase GABAA activity healthily is to decrease estrogen and increase neurosteroid production with good thyroid function, regular sunlight exposure, and ample cholesterol and Vit A.

10. MrSmart

MrSmart Member

I just did. Mostly through NMDA antagonism.

11. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath