List Of Supplements, Herbs, Foods, Etc. That Raise GABA-A

I'm looking to experiment a bit with increasing GABA-A. Anything you guys and gals know that'll help increase it? Preferably more on the peaty side (I know alcohol raises GABA-A but I wouldn't consider that healthy)

MrSmart

Atomoxetine (Strattera), but it's not peaty either. Although it did help me a lot for what it is.

OP
ImprovingDaily
Atomoxetine (Strattera), but it's not peaty either. Although it did help me a lot for what it is.

Interesting. Were you dealing with an anxiety issue when you were taking Strattera? That's one of the issues I'm dealing with

Vinero

Almost anything Peaty will tend to shift the balance of neurotransmitters to GABA and away from Glutamate. Glutamate being the opposite of GABA and causing anxiety and seizures, while GABA promotes relaxation and calmness.
Increasing estrogen exposure will lower GABA and increase Glutamate. So anything you can do to support your body to eliminate estrogen efficiently will help to produce more GABA.
Endotoxin is also a factor which lowers GABA production and increases glutamate.

Eating high protein (120g -150g a day), B-vitamins, Vitamins A,D,K,E, Progesterone and Androgens, Aspirin, Magnesium, Taurine and Glycine, some antibiotics etc. are factors that help lower endotoxin and estrogen, which will result in higher GABA and lower Glutamate.

MrSmart

Interesting. Were you dealing with an anxiety issue when you were taking Strattera? That's one of the issues I'm dealing with

Yes, but I took them for ADHD, the effect on anxiety was nothing short of amazing. When you clear your mind from ADHD, you start to rationalize your surroundings, and everything makes sense, and you stop being anxious about anything at all, because you are in 'I know everything' state of mind that is very difficult to break.

You should supplement it with Cypro though. It did give me some serotogenic side effects after some months. I usually know when I'm in a dreamy and content state and nothing can bother me or lower my mood at that point. It's hard to explain, but you don't feel grounded and sharp.

That's not all the sides though.

OP
ImprovingDaily
Almost anything Peaty will tend to shift the balance of neurotransmitters to GABA and away from Glutamate. Glutamate being the opposite of GABA and causing anxiety and seizures, while GABA promotes relaxation and calmness.
Increasing estrogen exposure will lower GABA and increase Glutamate. So anything you can do to support your body to eliminate estrogen efficiently will help to produce more GABA.
Endotoxin is also a factor which lowers GABA production and increases glutamate.

Eating high protein (120g -150g a day), B-vitamins, Vitamins A,D,K,E, Progesterone and Androgens, Aspirin, Magnesium, some antibiotics etc. are factors that help lower endotoxin and estrogen, which will result in higher GABA and lower Glutamate.

Those are all great points and through these about 2 years of heavy Peating, my stress resilience and GABA in general has increased, but I'm looking at specifically GABA-A. Progesterone increases GABA-B, I believe. While highly beneficial, I have a feeling I'm lacking in GABA-A in particular.

Vinero

Those are all great points and through these about 2 years of heavy Peating, my stress resilience and GABA in general has increased, but I'm looking at specifically GABA-A. Progesterone increases GABA-B, I believe. While highly beneficial, I have a feeling I'm lacking in GABA-A in particular.
I did not know that Progesterone raises GABA-B instead of GABA-A. I do know that a metabolite of progesterone called allopregnanolone does raise GABA-A. Also androsterone raises GABA-A.

Frankdee20

Taurine (has GABA like actions)
Glycine (potentiates NMDA)
Theanine (lowers GLutamate)
Glutamine (precursor to Glutamic Acid)
P5p (converts Glutamic Acid to GABA via GAD)
Magnesium (NMDA antagonist)
Lemon Balm (blocks GABA degradation)
Valerian (GABA potentiator)
Kava (upregulates GABA)
Magnolia Bark (potentiates GABA)

lampofred

I don't think there is any supplement that can sustainably and safely raise GABAA-ergic activity in the long-run... The way to increase GABAA activity healthily is to decrease estrogen and increase neurosteroid production with good thyroid function, regular sunlight exposure, and ample cholesterol and Vit A.

MrSmart

I don't think there is any supplement that can sustainably and safely raise GABAA-ergic activity in the long-run... The way to increase GABAA activity healthily is to decrease estrogen and increase neurosteroid production with good thyroid function, regular sunlight exposure, and ample cholesterol and Vit A.

I just did. Mostly through NMDA antagonism.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

johnwester130

Taurine (has GABA like actions)
Glycine (potentiates NMDA)
Theanine (lowers GLutamate)
Glutamine (precursor to Glutamic Acid)
P5p (converts Glutamic Acid to GABA via GAD)
Magnesium (NMDA antagonist)
Lemon Balm (blocks GABA degradation)
Valerian (GABA potentiator)
Kava (upregulates GABA)
Magnolia Bark (potentiates GABA)

amazing post

forgot gotu kola though. very gaba based substance

Frankdee20

I currently use Best Rest Formula from Pure Encapsulations.... I can also recommend Theanine Serine by Source Naturals.... Good GABA formulas overall

johnwester130

I currently use Best Rest Formula from Pure Encapsulations.... I can also recommend Theanine Serine by Source Naturals.... Good GABA formulas overall

a seller on etsy does custom blends of any liquid herb like kava, valerian, lemon balm, chamomile etc

Frankdee20

As far as foods go that help with GABA, one needs to eat high Glutamic Acid foods... The GABA is created from Glutamic Acid via the shunt.... There’s a chance it can remain as Glutamate, but this depends on how much GAD enzyme is working ... high glutamic acid foods include chicken, organ meats, halibut, almonds, broccoli....