Let's Nail This White Hair Thing

OP
M

mamaherrera

curious, super curious . . . . how did you manage to get that much gelatin in to your diet?? ILove making jello with fruit juice and gelatin but it's so time consuming, and consumes my refrigerator. So I rarely do it. I like the convenience of powder, but how do you do it and did you notice any health benefits/changes while getting that much gelatin?

BingDing

I was doing jello, too, I'd put it in a blender with oj and then add that to milk. Definitely a big PITA but I wanted to do try it. Not sure how much I maxed out at but I tried everything to get more gelatin into the jello.

I started with jello from the beginning so I can't say it had any special results.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and has all that jello/gelatin kept you free of white hair. . . . (referring back to the theme of the thread) :-0))

BingDing

Haha, the topic. I'm going on 60 and had some gray on the sides and white on top when I started. Overall I've had some recoloring in both, the sides are a sort of silvery brown and the top is more silvery than white. But it looks quite healthy and I'm pretty happy with it.

I have been thinking copper was the main thing, and eat squid and supplement copper glycinate.

OP
M

mamaherrera

how much copper do you take per day or just once in a w hile. I don't want it to lower my iron and zinc. I was put on a zinc supplement before all this new white appeared, so I'm thinking that's what happened. How long should I take copper to get it back in balance??? Do you always supplement copper?

BingDing

The first time I ate squid I got a noticeably good effect from it and figure I was pretty deficient. I read that there is a copper atom in the middle of cytochrome C oxidase, an essential (and maybe rate limiting) enzyme in ATP production, so I was pretty pleased to think I had boosted that a bit. Helping with hair color was secondary, but not unimportant. Tried to eat squid every week and succeeded for a while, ya know what I mean ;)

Now I use a 150% RDA supplement every other day, on average. I'm not even close to understanding how iron, zinc and copper interact, my working theory is just avoid getting deficient. Wish I could help more, there is likely some good advice on the forum if you can find it.

Peata

BingDing said:
The first time I ate squid I got a noticeably good effect from it and figure I was pretty deficient. I read that there is a copper atom in the middle of cytochrome C oxidase, an essential (and maybe rate limiting) enzyme in ATP production, so I was pretty pleased to think I had boosted that a bit. Helping with hair color was secondary, but not unimportant. Tried to eat squid every week and succeeded for a while, ya know what I mean ;)

Now I use a 150% RDA supplement every other day, on average. I'm not even close to understanding how iron, zinc and copper interact, my working theory is just avoid getting deficient. Wish I could help more, there is likely some good advice on the forum if you can find it.

Was the squid fresh, frozen, or canned?

OP
M

mamaherrera

it would be good to know how much copper to supplement with considering that Peat recommends oysters once a week and that could offset balance. On normal just my diet, I usually have more zinc that the recommended copper ratio, so I'm low on copper. I don't know why people say there are so many people that are toxic and have symptoms from too much copper. I don't know how I could have been zinc deficient, considering that in my diet I get more zinc than copper (going off the calculated ratio) but that was based on a tally taste test that they told me I was deficient, and they had me supplementing with 50mg of zinc. I think that was what gave me all these white hairs all together in the same month. Like you said I would just like to know how to get the copper back to par, but to not go the other extreme. Thanks for sharing. . . oh and remember copper raises estrogen.

BingDing

mamaherrera said:
oh and remember copper raises estrogen.

?? I found a lot of interesting stuff searching about this, but nothing saying copper raises estrogen. Can you point me to any more info? Thx

OP
M

mamaherrera

hydrogen peroxide

Just to add to this, hydrogen peroxide not being broken down is major supposedly in white hair. What does Peat say about this, how can we lower hydrogen peroxide buildup in the body??? Any thoughts, knowledge?

tara

There are some previous related threads, eg this one:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4110&p=49641
I greyed early too - starting lae 20s. Mostly white under the henna now at ~50.

toddy

I've read that smokers are 4 times more likely to have gray hair than nonsmokers and smoking has been conclusively linked to accelerated hair loss.

Kyle Bigman

it would be good to know how much copper to supplement with considering that Peat recommends oysters once a week and that could offset balance. On normal just my diet, I usually have more zinc that the recommended copper ratio, so I'm low on copper. I don't know why people say there are so many people that are toxic and have symptoms from too much copper. I don't know how I could have been zinc deficient, considering that in my diet I get more zinc than copper (going off the calculated ratio) but that was based on a tally taste test that they told me I was deficient, and they had me supplementing with 50mg of zinc. I think that was what gave me all these white hairs all together in the same month. Like you said I would just like to know how to get the copper back to par, but to not go the other extreme. Thanks for sharing. . . oh and remember copper raises estrogen.
Any improvement over the years? did you find out if it was a copper deficiency?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals