Hypothyroidism, deficiency of calcium, vitamin D/B12 may cause hair graying

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another study/article that reports a link between bioenergetics and hair color. Premature graying has been one of the fastest-growing "epidemics" over the last 20 years in developed countries. While a connection with stress has been suggested by numerous studies, mainstream medicine has countered with the argument that "stress" is a non-specific term and cannot be formally listed as a cause of this condition. Besides, medicine says, most of hair graying is genetic in origin. Well, the studies discussed in the article below pours cold water on those claims as it found several crucial metabolic deficiencies in people with premature graying. Hypothyroidism is one of them and probably the "smoking gun" in regards to graying being metabolic/bioenergetic in origin. In addition, the study also found likely causal links between deficiencies in calcium, vitamins D/B12 and premature graying as well. All three of the substances also happen to play a crucial role in maintaining a proper metabolic rate.

Vitamin deficiencies and hypothyroidism could cause hair to turn grey

"...Trace element deficiencies such as vitamin B12, vitamin D3 and calcium may also be associated with premature hair greying. In an early body of research published in the International Journal of Trichology, researchers found that premature greying often coincided with low levels of vitamin D."

"...In 2017, the Indian Journal of Dermatology published a study conducted on 71 cases of premature hair greying, defined as hair greying at the age of 25 and over. Patients’ records were retrieved, which provided details on several health parameters at the time that their hair started turning grey. Reports included information about anaemia, thyroid disorders, fasting blood glucose, and vitamin B12 levels...Hypovitaminosis B12 and hypothyroidism showed significant association with the disorder, whereas anaemia, serum ferritin and fasting blood glucose did not", noted the researchers."

"...Fortunately, hair pigmentation loss caused by nutritional deficiencies could be reversible. There is evidence that thyroid hormone may help reverse greying caused by autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's."

Audacity17

A few years back the NY Times claimed researchers had discovered that in some people gray hair was not caused by low melanin, but rather the hair comes in the normal color and is "bleached" by Hydrogen Peroxide at the root, effectively turning it white. Now what causes excess hydrogen peroxide? Typically, an enzyme caused catalase will keep the h2o2 in check. This enzyme is produced by the liver, and can be consumed in foods like onion. So PUFA induced fatty liver seems like a main culprit to me.

golder

A few years back the NY Times claimed researchers had discovered that in some people gray hair was not caused by low melanin, but rather the hair comes in the normal color and is "bleached" by Hydrogen Peroxide at the root, effectively turning it white. Now what causes excess hydrogen peroxide? Typically, an enzyme caused catalase will keep the h2o2 in check. This enzyme is produced by the liver, and can be consumed in foods like onion. So PUFA induced fatty liver seems like a main culprit to me.
Nice post. Foods highest in catalase? Liver I assume?

Birdie

I came in to Ray Peat knowledge with graying hair and emerged about 6 months later blonde after adopting Peat foods.

Regina

Yet another study/article that reports a link between bioenergetics and hair color. Premature graying has been one of the fastest-growing "epidemics" over the last 20 years in developed countries. While a connection with stress has been suggested by numerous studies, mainstream medicine has countered with the argument that "stress" is a non-specific term and cannot be formally listed as a cause of this condition. Besides, medicine says, most of hair graying is genetic in origin. Well, the studies discussed in the article below pours cold water on those claims as it found several crucial metabolic deficiencies in people with premature graying. Hypothyroidism is one of them and probably the "smoking gun" in regards to graying being metabolic/bioenergetic in origin. In addition, the study also found likely causal links between deficiencies in calcium, vitamins D/B12 and premature graying as well. All three of the substances also happen to play a crucial role in maintaining a proper metabolic rate.

Vitamin deficiencies and hypothyroidism could cause hair to turn grey

"...Trace element deficiencies such as vitamin B12, vitamin D3 and calcium may also be associated with premature hair greying. In an early body of research published in the International Journal of Trichology, researchers found that premature greying often coincided with low levels of vitamin D."

"...In 2017, the Indian Journal of Dermatology published a study conducted on 71 cases of premature hair greying, defined as hair greying at the age of 25 and over. Patients’ records were retrieved, which provided details on several health parameters at the time that their hair started turning grey. Reports included information about anaemia, thyroid disorders, fasting blood glucose, and vitamin B12 levels...Hypovitaminosis B12 and hypothyroidism showed significant association with the disorder, whereas anaemia, serum ferritin and fasting blood glucose did not", noted the researchers."

"...Fortunately, hair pigmentation loss caused by nutritional deficiencies could be reversible. There is evidence that thyroid hormone may help reverse greying caused by autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's."
Thx for the study.
Would you go as far as supplementing B12?

Birdie

Hey, what did you do exactly to acheive that?
I spent a lot of time reading Peat's stuff on raypeat.com, ordered his newsletters, listened to podcasts/interviews, joined raypeatfans, and read all the stuff put out by those gym guys in Simi Valley. And followed the advice there.

Birdie

I'd not drunk milk except in a latte since childhood @Murtaza .

And I'd stopped liver but re-started that when I found Peat. Also I was low-glycemic, and started putting sugar in my lattes. It was very hard for me to use sugar after years without it. Also started oj and ice cream. I was already gluten free... I switched from bio-identical hormone replacement to Progest-E.

I was already using Armourthyroid... but I did test it with temps again a la Peat/Broda Barnes. So may have added to dose.

Cow

When are you "supposed" to get gray hair. I'm 57 and don't have any gray hairs yet. ...but my skin is quite saggy. Good nutrition is fundamental, but also, genetically, I think you win some, you lose some!

Birdie

I remembered something else from when I joined up with Ray. I had been eating raw salads, olive oil and salmon often. Lots of pufa. So, I substituted in well cooked vegs, especially fruit vegs, besides the things I said before.

I was already using coconut oil and butter for cooking. That didn't change. But, wait, I started re-cooking our bacon in coconut oil a la Peat. So, that wasn't the change that counted!

I have wrinkles too, Cow, and that's just increased.. But I think my hair color change was weird for an old lady.

Cow

It is @Birdie ! I've kind of been waiting for my hair to go gray to give it some texture, cuz my entire family has baby fine hair, but nope! It has gotten a bit thicker though, which is also unusual for an old crone like me!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals