Jittery when eating a Peat diet

TheSir

I had two cups of coffee so maybe it's from the caffeine wearing off? I'm not sure. Not pleasant.
Of course it's the coffee! It's absolutely ridiculous that you've got a thread full of people blaming everything else but the coffee. Weird and jittery -- that's what stimulants do!

Of course it's the coffee! It's absolutely ridiculous that you've got a thread full of people blaming everything else but the coffee. Weird and jittery -- that's what stimulants do!

As it is commonly touted in the histamine circles "What heals you kills you'. Nobody is necessarily doubting that coffee isn't causing jitters, we are trying troubleshoot it so coffee can stay. I had the same issues until I learned how properly support coffee, which also happens to be a natural histamine and has saved my health.

TheSir

As it is commonly touted in the histamine circles "What heals you kills you'. Nobody is necessarily doubting that coffee isn't causing jitters, we are trying troubleshoot it so coffee can stay. I had the same issues until I learned how properly support coffee, which also happens to be a natural histamine and has saved my health.
Why hang on to something that is the very source of the issue? Drinking coffee is never going to be superior to not drinking coffee. At best, OP can hope to get away with drinking it. Yet since OP is currently not getting away with it, why should he continue drinking it? Perhaps at some future point he might be able to reintroduce it without ending up with a stress reaction, but continuing using it is not going to bring him any closer to such point (and quite possibly to the contrary).

Why hang on to something that is the very source of the issue? Drinking coffee is never going to be superior to not drinking coffee. At best, OP can hope to get away with drinking it. Yet since OP is currently not getting away with it, why should he continue drinking it? Perhaps at some future point he might be able to reintroduce it, but continuing using it is not going to bring him any closer to such point (and quite possibly to the contrary).
This site is about applying scientific proof of foods that work and coffee is one of them. It boosts metabolism, and is a natural antihistamine. If somebody decides to only do half of Ray Peats recommendations then so be it, but many of us are trying to push through some discomfort until our body adjusts so we can reap the many benefits. I for one am grateful for discovering the medicinal benefits of coffee and pushing through my discomfort, as well as sugar, now not needing to take anti-histamines anymore. Going to the gym is uncomfortable the first time going with painful muscles the next day, so that is a sign to give up? One would think so as awful as that can feel.....

TheSir

This site is about applying scientific proof of foods that work and coffee is one of them. It boosts metabolism, and is a natural antihistamine. If somebody decides to only do half of Ray Peats recommendations then so be it, but many of us are trying to push through some discomfort until our body adjusts so we can reap the many benefits. I for one am grateful for discovering the medicinal benefits of coffee and pushing through my discomfort, as well as sugar, now not needing to take anti-histamines anymore. Going to the gym is uncomfortable the first time going with painful muscles the next day, so that is a sign to give up? One would think so as awful as that can feel.....
Metamphetamine boosts metabolism and histamine -- that's what stimulants in general do. All the pro-this anti-that rhetoric which users on this forum liberally indulge in is usually too simplistic to be insightful. Far from being scientific, these sentiments mostly only disguise themselves as such. Morphine is healthy because it lowers cortisol, right?

Consider that exercising is what humans naturally do as per evolutionary biology. Doing things we evolved to do is, of course, conducive to health. The problem is that caffeine has never been a dietary staple along our evolution, and nothing that has not been a staple along our evolution can provide lasting benefit to our health (I challenge you to name even once such thing!).

T

TheBeard

Occam's razor principle dictates that, in his case, the most obvious reason would be coffee.

Once he's done a one week trial coffee free, we can reevaluate other offenders.

Till then we are just circle jerking.

OP
M

motleyadams

But I only got this affect hours and hours after the coffee. Before it actually energized and gave me a confident calming feeling.

TheSir

But I only got this affect hours and hours after the coffee. Before it actually energized and gave me a confident calming feeling.
Yes, it's called the comedown, and it's the price for those good feelings.

Metamphetamine boosts metabolism and histamine -- that's what stimulants in general do. All the pro-this anti-that rhetoric which users on this forum liberally indulge in is usually too simplistic to be insightful. Far from being scientific, these sentiments mostly only disguise themselves as such. Morphine is healthy because it lowers cortisol, right?

Consider that exercising is what humans naturally do as per evolutionary biology. Doing things we evolved to do is, of course, conducive to health. The problem is that caffeine has never been a dietary staple along our evolution, and nothing that has not been a staple along our evolution can provide lasting benefit to our health (I challenge you to name even once such thing!).
Well isn't that interesting that Mr. Ray Peat and all of his science and my proof that coffee, sugar, and salt keeps my histamines in check is all wrong. I will have to take your well studied wise words and have to reassess everything. Thank you SO much!

TheSir

Well isn't that interesting that Mr. Ray Peat and all of his science and my proof that coffee, sugar, and salt keeps my histamines in check is all wrong. I will have to take your well studied wise words and have to reassess everything. Thank you SO much!
Evidently you have found a beneficial crutch in coffee. I'm not here to invalidate your experience, but to explain the obvious reason for OP's experience.

T

TheBeard

Don't be an ****, that's not what he meant. We are not disqualifying your n=1 experience as a positive one, just mentioning that OP's obvious course of action is to quit coffee first, before anything else.

Evidently you have found a beneficial crutch in coffee. I'm not here to invalidate your experience, but to explain the obvious reason for OP's experience.
After following this forum for 4+ years, one of the things I vowed when i signed up recently is to be helpful not hindering. All of Ray Peat's incredible knowledge that he has shared with his long time extensive, and sometimes painstaking research is not for me to lead people astray from what they are trying to do here because my "opinion" holds more weight. Coffee grows in nature, not a treadmill. I think it would be conducive, for all of us trying to do the hard work for optimal health and applying the science we believe to be true through Ray Peat and Weston Price, is not criticize others "good intended" help by poo pooing Ray Peat's huge advice on coffee's medicinal benefits. People here are not drinking coffee to be abusive and have an out of body experience, as your so your way off-track comments implied. If your last comment was meant as a way to sooth the first couple, probably "crutch" wasn't your best chouce of words.

T

TheBeard

After following this forum for 4+ years, one of the things I vowed when i signed up recently is to be helpful not hindering. All of Ray Peat's incredible knowledge that he has shared with his long time extensive, and sometimes painstaking research is not for me to lead people astray from what they are trying to do here because my "opinion" holds more weight. Coffee grows in nature, not a treadmill. I think it would be conducive, for all of us trying to do the hard work for optimal health and applying the science we believe to be true through Ray Peat and Weston Price, is not criticize others "good intended" help by poo pooing Ray Peat's huge advice on coffee's medicinal benefits. People here are not drinking coffee to be abusive and have an out of body experience, as your so your way off-track comments implied. If your last comment was meant as a way to sooth the first couple, probably "crutch" wasn't your best chouce of words.

You are so dogmatic.
Just admit that coffee doesn't work for everyone.

If you are so fond of Ray, remember he said "Perceive, think, act".

You are so dogmatic.

By the way I drink one cup a day, unless I need it otherwise for a histamine issue. . Obviously you did not absorbed my previous posts saying "push through the symptoms" and that it didn't work for me at first either. Of course some people can have allergies to coffee or never figure the key to making it work. All i hear from you is coffee is bad and going to the gym is good, just the opposite of Peat's advice. Reread your words. I am not even sure why you are posting if you are gonna argue with Ray Peat. He also said "First do no harm" so your implications seems insulting to his profession. Let's agree to disagree and in the future you maybe try not to sound not nice.

T

TheBeard

By the way I drink one cup a day, unless I need it otherwise for a histamine issue. . Obviously you did not absorbed my previous posts saying "push through the symptoms" and that it didn't work for me at first either. Of course some people can have allergies to coffee or never figure the key to making it work. All i hear from you is coffee is bad and going to the gym is good, just the opposite of Peat's advice. Reread your words. I am not even sure why you are posting if you are gonna argue with Ray Peat. He also said "First do no harm" so your implications seems insulting to his profession. Let's agree to disagree and in the future you maybe try not to sound not nice.

I've pushed 5 years to try and make coffee work, trust me I gave it a fair chance.

"try not to sound not nice"?
My goal in life is not to be nice. Nice leads you nowhere.
Assertive, curious, vibrant, inquisitive, humorous, loving to some.
But "nice"? ...

Sometimes when eating Peat, I get weird and jittery in the middle of the day.

So far I've had, eggs with butter, coffee with milk and sugar, OJ, Burger patties with cheese, more cheese.

I had two cups of coffee so maybe it's from the caffeine wearing off? I'm not sure. Not pleasant.
I would like to drink more coffee for all of it's benefits, I just have never liked it. Good luck to us both ?

I would like to drink more coffee for all of it's benefits, I just have never liked it. Good luck to us both

I would like to drink more coffee for all of it's benefits, I just have never liked it. Good luck to us both ?

Don't be an ****, that's not what he meant. We are not disqualifying your n=1 experience as a positive one, just mentioning that OP's obvious course of action is to quit coffee first, before anything else.
Sorry for the mix-up be
You are so dogmatic.

Sorry TheBeard for the mix up between you and the TheSir.....

Sefton10

I've pushed 5 years to try and make coffee work, trust me I gave it a fair chance.
Me too. I've tried so many times. I love the taste and the ritual of it, but it just doesn't work for me so I've had to let it go.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals