Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble Eating Eggs

Discussion in 'Eggs' started by Peata, Sep 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Peata

Peata Member

I had taken a walk and was hungry. Before the walk, I'd eaten hard candies.

When I got in, I ate an ounce of cheese and 2.5 egg yolks (scrambled with some milk in coconut oil). Salted. I used just the yolks because someone mentioned the whites might be problematic (since I get sick on eggs sometimes). I had originally cooked 3 yolks but couldn't eat the last of it.

I felt too full. I started feeling a little sick. Strange head feeling and like I needed sugar NOW. I quickly stirred up 2 c. OJ with salt and sugar.

As I drank this, I could feel my heart in my chest. My pulse was at least 100. A minute or two after I drank the OJ, my pulse went to 88, I started feeling better.

I do have trouble eating them sometimes.

Why did my heart beat so hard?

2. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I think this pretty much sums it up.

3. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

Thanks, I guess if I'm going to eat eggs again, I'll have to eat the sugar first to buffer it.

I don't know how I survived my low carb days without major reactions, eating all that protein without carbs.

4. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I hear ya.

The interesting thing I discovered however, is that I had the "best" results (read: lost fat and became very lean) only the first time I did low carb. I could never again reproduce those results. Of course I know now what I didn't back then and did a lot of damage.

This is Peat's response to someone on Danny Roddy's "Ray Peat's Brain" page, where he gives more detail about the stress response from eating protein on its own.

Peat himself offsets eggs with a large amount of oj.

I'm fortunate and do well with eggs but always am sure to drink at least 8 oz with every egg.

5. Bluebell

Bluebell Member

I'm confused though because Peata only ate the yolks which are the fatty portion of the egg. I thought the issues with blood sugar came from the protein white part.

Peata are your eggs pasture raised? Sometimes they feed them artificial feeds which could produce a reaction in you.

6. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

These were local farm-raised, but they are still getting feed-store feed.

7. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Could be, although I would think she would have likely experienced such an allergic before now.

Egg yolks contain a little under half the protein in an egg (2.7 g in yolks, 3.6 g in whites). I'm not aware of yolks being safe from a stress reaction if eaten without carbohydrates.

Peat says a stress reaction (specifically a surge in cortisol) occurs from eating protein by itself.
    She ate 1 oz of cheese and 2.5 egg yolks (about 13 g of protein) without carbs. As soon as she began drinking the sugar and salted oj, the stress reaction was immediately reduced and her heart rate returned to a normal level.

8. Jenn

Jenn Member

You ate too much. ;)

Try a smaller serving and more balanced next time.

9. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

Though I did feel better after having the OJ, there were ripples of the stress response all evening, as though that set off something. I felt unusually tired and my FBD started acting up, which it hadn't for days. Perhaps this shows how interconnected all this stuff is.

10. pboy

pboy Member

high salt, low water, low potassium, low sugar meal. You were probably jonesing for potassium + water after the meal, which the OJ sort of helped with, but possibly another few ounces of plain water on top of the OJ, or half as much OJ + water would have helped

11. pboy

pboy Member

also gotta add, a lot of people do better with milk when taken alone cause it seems to require a different stomach ph for optimal digestion compared to most other foods. Also, coconut oil has been known to wreak havoc on many a soul, myself included....Peat has mentioned that he was messed up for a few days after taking regular virgin, not completely purified RDB coconut oil

12. Ukall

Ukall Member

(these 2 quotes are from the thread How to balance an egg??? )
    Yesterday I ate 2 raw egg yolks in the end of the afternoon and I only accompanied it with 100 ml OJ. After that, I was looking at my face in the mirror and I noticed my dark circles under eyes were darker and my face was a little grayish also.
    Today, this morning, I had to test it:
    I tested eating only 1 raw egg yolk on a empty stomach. I noticed my dark circles again becoming darker but not that much accentuated. So, I had to test it being a little more hardcore.
    I ate a cup of watermelon before, and then ate 2 more yolks. Well, then I felt my face becoming grayer and grayer, specially my dark circle under eyes.
    As @Peata , I started eating sugar - half a watermelon, and 1 pint of OJ, but I felt like I could eat more. My heart rate indeed was faster - 80 bpm. I had 60 bpm before eating the eggs and it is usually my bpm even during the day. Still, after the egg experience, my dark circles under eyes remained darker during the day.
    2 hours after eating the yolks, I had a bowel movement. And 4 hours after, I had another bowel movement, but it was diarrhea.
    Now that you mentioned that, my experience with the Carrot + CO salad was during the afternoon after not eating anything during 6 hours. In that situation, I had the panic attack experience. Of course, I got pale, my dark circles under eyes were darker and ended up eating sugar also. In this situation, I also had 2 bowel movements after.

I want to try conclude something regarding these situations. They both are very similar.
    In both of them I had faster heart rate and ended up having bowel movements.
    The only thing/difference regarding the eggs is that, since they are raw, they could be not really fresh. So they could have excess of bacteria and, hence, the diarrhea on the 2nd bowel movement.

Things that I have been thinking:
    - Since my glycogen depots were probably empty in both situations, it triggers a stress response. However, in the carrot salad there is almost no protein, yet I still had the panic attack.
    - Could I be allergic to eggs? Or the fact them being raw can be harder to the body to handle them?

Things I may test (or not... I'm kind afraid of the sensations again :S ):
    - Raw Eggs Yolks with sugar first in the body
    - Cooked eggs without sugar (and I could also test cooked eggs with sugar then)
    - Carrot Salad with sugar

P.S.: When I used to run 1 hour straight, I remember my dark circle under eyes being darker too. All theses situations, could they be related with high stress hormones?

13. tara

tara Member

My guess is low glycogen/blood sugar was part of this. With or without the carrot salad.

I think low blood sugar lowers the threshold for allergic reactions.

Maybe, and maybe also if the liver is short of fuel it has trouble doing it's job fully?

14. Ukall

Ukall Member

I see. It seems I have to test it with sugar then. Both situations.
    Hmm, interesting... Perhaps, that's it.

I shared this situation, because I really want to find the reason why some people experience the panic attack after eating the CO (myself included). Since I had similar experience with the yolks and also reading Peat saying that he almost passed out after eating some eggs, maybe the reason is only lack of sugar in the body.
    It would be very interesting, actually, I challenge people who had a panic attack experience from the Carrot Salad to eat it with lots of sugar to see if they still feel the same..

15. Maretch

Maretch Member

I have experienced something like this some times, really don't know what is this related to, never worried about this too much!