Trouble Eating Eggs

Peata

I had taken a walk and was hungry. Before the walk, I'd eaten hard candies.

When I got in, I ate an ounce of cheese and 2.5 egg yolks (scrambled with some milk in coconut oil). Salted. I used just the yolks because someone mentioned the whites might be problematic (since I get sick on eggs sometimes). I had originally cooked 3 yolks but couldn't eat the last of it.

I felt too full. I started feeling a little sick. Strange head feeling and like I needed sugar NOW. I quickly stirred up 2 c. OJ with salt and sugar.

As I drank this, I could feel my heart in my chest. My pulse was at least 100. A minute or two after I drank the OJ, my pulse went to 88, I started feeling better.

I do have trouble eating them sometimes.

Why did my heart beat so hard?

4peatssake

Peata said:
I had taken a walk and was hungry. Before the walk, I'd eaten hard candies.

When I got in, I ate an ounce of cheese and 2.5 egg yolks (scrambled with some milk in coconut oil). Salted. I used just the yolks because someone mentioned the whites might be problematic (since I get sick on eggs sometimes). I had originally cooked 3 yolks but couldn't eat the last of it.

I felt too full. I started feeling a little sick. Strange head feeling and like I needed sugar NOW. I quickly stirred up 2 c. OJ with salt and sugar.

As I drank this, I could feel my heart in my chest. My pulse was at least 100. A minute or two after I drank the OJ, my pulse went to 88, I started feeling better.

I do have trouble eating them sometimes.

Why did my heart beat so hard?
I think this pretty much sums it up.

Ray Peat said:
A high quality protein such as egg, can cause a stress reaction, and fail to be fully used as protein, if it is eaten without carbohydrates.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, I guess if I'm going to eat eggs again, I'll have to eat the sugar first to buffer it.

I don't know how I survived my low carb days without major reactions, eating all that protein without carbs.

4peatssake

Peata said:
Thanks, I guess if I'm going to eat eggs again, I'll have to eat the sugar first to buffer it.

I don't know how I survived my low carb days without major reactions, eating all that protein without carbs.
I hear ya.

The interesting thing I discovered however, is that I had the "best" results (read: lost fat and became very lean) only the first time I did low carb. I could never again reproduce those results. Of course I know now what I didn't back then and did a lot of damage.

This is Peat's response to someone on Danny Roddy's "Ray Peat's Brain" page, where he gives more detail about the stress response from eating protein on its own.

Ray Peat said:
Eating protein by itself can cause a big surge of cortisol. Preceding the protein with some carbohydrate makes the protein go farther, otherwise under the influence of cortisol a lot of protein is used just for energy. Your diet might be low in vitamin A, so it would be better to have eggs for breakfast,preceded with a generous amount of orange juice.

Peat himself offsets eggs with a large amount of oj.

Ray Peat said:
I find that I need almost a pint of orange juice to balance one egg.

I'm fortunate and do well with eggs but always am sure to drink at least 8 oz with every egg.

Bluebell

I'm confused though because Peata only ate the yolks which are the fatty portion of the egg. I thought the issues with blood sugar came from the protein white part.

Peata are your eggs pasture raised? Sometimes they feed them artificial feeds which could produce a reaction in you.

OP
Peata

Peata

These were local farm-raised, but they are still getting feed-store feed.

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
I'm confused though because Peata only ate the yolks which are the fatty portion of the egg. I thought the issues with blood sugar came from the protein white part.

Peata are your eggs pasture raised? Sometimes they feed them artificial feeds which could produce a reaction in you.
Could be, although I would think she would have likely experienced such an allergic before now.

Egg yolks contain a little under half the protein in an egg (2.7 g in yolks, 3.6 g in whites). I'm not aware of yolks being safe from a stress reaction if eaten without carbohydrates.

Peat says a stress reaction (specifically a surge in cortisol) occurs from eating protein by itself.
She ate 1 oz of cheese and 2.5 egg yolks (about 13 g of protein) without carbs. As soon as she began drinking the sugar and salted oj, the stress reaction was immediately reduced and her heart rate returned to a normal level.

OP
Peata

Peata

Though I did feel better after having the OJ, there were ripples of the stress response all evening, as though that set off something. I felt unusually tired and my FBD started acting up, which it hadn't for days. Perhaps this shows how interconnected all this stuff is.

pboy

high salt, low water, low potassium, low sugar meal. You were probably jonesing for potassium + water after the meal, which the OJ sort of helped with, but possibly another few ounces of plain water on top of the OJ, or half as much OJ + water would have helped

pboy

also gotta add, a lot of people do better with milk when taken alone cause it seems to require a different stomach ph for optimal digestion compared to most other foods. Also, coconut oil has been known to wreak havoc on many a soul, myself included....Peat has mentioned that he was messed up for a few days after taking regular virgin, not completely purified RDB coconut oil

Ukall

(these 2 quotes are from the thread How to balance an egg??? )
I think that post on RP's personal diet is bit confusing.
It is not always clear which one is RP's statement and which one is
poster's comment.
I think egg in breakfast is a major factor than just egg alone.
After 10-12 hours of fasting most people are all out of glycogen storage.
So, it will hit the body real hard. I think eating egg in other meals
will be much easier on blood sugar.
In DR page RP mentioned that it takes 1 pint of OJ for him to balance an egg
in terms of blood sugar fall. He did not say it takes 1 pint for everyone.
He almost fainted when he only had eggs for breakfast. He did not mentioned how many
eggs. He is only warning about egg's ability to reduce blood sugar, especially for people with hypoglycemia
problems. This is true for all type of proteins, he specifically mentioned egg, liver and chocolate without
sufficient carbohydrate causing low sugar problem. There is no fixed ratio of sugar and protein.
It depends on individual health.
Yesterday I ate 2 raw egg yolks in the end of the afternoon and I only accompanied it with 100 ml OJ. After that, I was looking at my face in the mirror and I noticed my dark circles under eyes were darker and my face was a little grayish also.
Today, this morning, I had to test it:
I tested eating only 1 raw egg yolk on a empty stomach. I noticed my dark circles again becoming darker but not that much accentuated. So, I had to test it being a little more hardcore.
I ate a cup of watermelon before, and then ate 2 more yolks. Well, then I felt my face becoming grayer and grayer, specially my dark circle under eyes.
As @Peata , I started eating sugar - half a watermelon, and 1 pint of OJ, but I felt like I could eat more. My heart rate indeed was faster - 80 bpm. I had 60 bpm before eating the eggs and it is usually my bpm even during the day. Still, after the egg experience, my dark circles under eyes remained darker during the day.
2 hours after eating the yolks, I had a bowel movement. And 4 hours after, I had another bowel movement, but it was diarrhea.
also gotta add, a lot of people do better with milk when taken alone cause it seems to require a different stomach ph for optimal digestion compared to most other foods. Also, coconut oil has been known to wreak havoc on many a soul, myself included....Peat has mentioned that he was messed up for a few days after taking regular virgin, not completely purified RDB coconut oil
Now that you mentioned that, my experience with the Carrot + CO salad was during the afternoon after not eating anything during 6 hours. In that situation, I had the panic attack experience. Of course, I got pale, my dark circles under eyes were darker and ended up eating sugar also. In this situation, I also had 2 bowel movements after.

I want to try conclude something regarding these situations. They both are very similar.
In both of them I had faster heart rate and ended up having bowel movements.
The only thing/difference regarding the eggs is that, since they are raw, they could be not really fresh. So they could have excess of bacteria and, hence, the diarrhea on the 2nd bowel movement.

Things that I have been thinking:
- Since my glycogen depots were probably empty in both situations, it triggers a stress response. However, in the carrot salad there is almost no protein, yet I still had the panic attack.
- Could I be allergic to eggs? Or the fact them being raw can be harder to the body to handle them?

Things I may test (or not... I'm kind afraid of the sensations again :S ):
- Raw Eggs Yolks with sugar first in the body
- Cooked eggs without sugar (and I could also test cooked eggs with sugar then)
- Carrot Salad with sugar

P.S.: When I used to run 1 hour straight, I remember my dark circle under eyes being darker too. All theses situations, could they be related with high stress hormones?

Last edited:

tara

Things that I have been thinking:
- Since my glycogen depots were probably empty in both situations, it triggers a stress response. However, in the carrot salad there is almost no protein, yet I still had the panic attack.
My guess is low glycogen/blood sugar was part of this. With or without the carrot salad.

- Could I be allergic to eggs? Or the fact them being raw can be harder to the body to handle them?
I think low blood sugar lowers the threshold for allergic reactions.

P.S.: When I used to run 1 hour straight, I remember my dark circle under eyes being darker too. All theses situations, could they be related with high stress hormones?
Maybe, and maybe also if the liver is short of fuel it has trouble doing it's job fully?

Ukall

I think low blood sugar lowers the threshold for allergic reactions.
I see. It seems I have to test it with sugar then. Both situations.
Maybe, and maybe also if the liver is short of fuel it has trouble doing it's job fully?
Hmm, interesting... Perhaps, that's it.

I shared this situation, because I really want to find the reason why some people experience the panic attack after eating the CO (myself included). Since I had similar experience with the yolks and also reading Peat saying that he almost passed out after eating some eggs, maybe the reason is only lack of sugar in the body.
It would be very interesting, actually, I challenge people who had a panic attack experience from the Carrot Salad to eat it with lots of sugar to see if they still feel the same..

Maretch

I have experienced something like this some times, really don't know what is this related to, never worried about this too much!