How To Get 3000 Calories Daily As Opposed To 1500-2000?

lampofred

What do you guys do to up your caloric intake while still eating Peat-approved foods?

I eat/drink (whenever I say cups, I mean exactly 8 oz)

-around 4-8 cups of milk a day,
-around 4-6 cups of orange juice,
-on some days, a few cups of coca-cola,
-around 2-3 tablespoons of butter
-around 2-3 cups of coffee a day with 8-12 tablespoons of half-and-half and 2-4 tablespoons of sugar in each cup
-on some days, 2 eggs
-about 2-4 tablespoons of gelatin

This diet is already mostly liquid, so I'd like to avoid increasing milk, orange juice, and coca-cola. Potatoes take too long to make (45 minutes minimum if you boil them for as long as Peat says you should), good quality cheese w/o unnecessary chemicals is too expensive to eat every day (and eating plain cheese just doesn't feel like a meal), and I'm vegetarian.

Peat's guidelines work extremely well for me except for the fact that I'm hungry all day and can't seem to fit in enough calories if I'm strictly adherent. I have a lot of liquids already, so I'm just trying to find a vegetarian, cheap, calorie-dense, and easy-to-prepare food... Sounds like I'm looking for something mythical, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading!

misery guts

Personally I just consume the liquid when cooking isn't convenient (monring/work) and then have potatoes for an evening meal.. 45 minutes isn't so bad, especially when you don't actually need to attend them whilst they're cooking.

I think rice is the other convenient and tasty starch held in high regard around here. Quicker to cook too I guess..

OP
L

lampofred

Personally I just consume the liquid when cooking isn't convenient (monring/work) and then have potatoes for an evening meal.. 45 minutes isn't so bad, especially when you don't actually need to attend them whilst they're cooking.

I think rice is the other convenient and tasty starch held in high regard around here. Quicker to cook too I guess..

Doesn't Peat say starch is inferior to sugar, although it is not necessarily incompatible with good health? I guess having an ideal diet is impossible, and at least a few compromises have to be made...

What do you mix with the rice? There are very few vegetarian foods that are Peat-approved...

milk_lover

Do you drink full-fat milk? I don't think white rice with refined coconut oil is a terrible idea for increasing calories.

milk_lover

salted french fries fried in tasteless odorless coconut oil is also another good idea. No lamb or beef or liver or seafood?

OP
L

lampofred

Do you drink full-fat milk? I don't think white rice with refined coconut oil is a terrible idea for increasing calories.

Full-fat milk, that's a good idea. Thank you! I drink fat-free as of now because I thought whole milk had a lot of PUFA. I just looked it up though, and it actually doesn't.

Edit: I just remembered reading that Peat said whole milk actually has a lot of PUFA because cows are fed mostly corn/grain these days

misery guts

Doesn't Peat say starch is inferior to sugar, although it is not necessarily incompatible with good health? I guess having an ideal diet is impossible, and at least a few compromises have to be made...

What do you mix with the rice? There are very few vegetarian foods that are Peat-approved...

I think just salt and some butter tastes great, but so does a couple of eggs if you don't mind the extra cooking - personally I just boil some eggs in the same water/pan as the boiled potatoes (after spooning them out) for a few minutes - quick and easy... The starch issue has a lot of recent posts (westsidepufas and tyw for instance) and I think that most here consider it fine/good even if not as ideal as sugar.

OP
L

lampofred

salted french fries fried in tasteless odorless coconut oil is also another good idea. No lamb or beef or liver or seafood?

Homemade french fries are also another good idea, thanks! And no, I've been a vegetarian my entire life except for one meal, and I don't want to start eating meat unless it is truly necessary.

milk_lover

Homemade french fries are also another good idea, thanks! And no, I've been a vegetarian my entire life except for one meal, and I don't want to start eating meat unless it is truly necessary.
fair enough about being vegetarian I just saw gelatin so I thought it's ok for you to eat meat. But you still can eat seafood right?

OP
L

lampofred

fair enough about being vegetarian I just saw gelatin so I thought it's ok for you to eat meat. But you still can eat seafood right?

Gelatin is in almost everything these days, and I don't think it's feasible for me to be so strict with my vegetarianism that I avoid gelatin, so I excuse myself for eating it. And no, I don't eat seafood.

tomisonbottom

What do you guys do to up your caloric intake while still eating Peat-approved foods?

I eat/drink (whenever I say cups, I mean exactly 8 oz)

-around 4-8 cups of milk a day,
-around 4-6 cups of orange juice,
-on some days, a few cups of coca-cola,
-around 2-3 tablespoons of butter
-around 2-3 cups of coffee a day with 8-12 tablespoons of half-and-half and 2-4 tablespoons of sugar in each cup
-on some days, 2 eggs
-about 2-4 tablespoons of gelatin

This diet is already mostly liquid, so I'd like to avoid increasing milk, orange juice, and coca-cola. Potatoes take too long to make (45 minutes minimum if you boil them for as long as Peat says you should), good quality cheese w/o unnecessary chemicals is too expensive to eat every day (and eating plain cheese just doesn't feel like a meal), and I'm vegetarian.

Peat's guidelines work extremely well for me except for the fact that I'm hungry all day and can't seem to fit in enough calories if I'm strictly adherent. I have a lot of liquids already, so I'm just trying to find a vegetarian, cheap, calorie-dense, and easy-to-prepare food... Sounds like I'm looking for something mythical, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading!

Start supplementing coconut oil. 120 cal per tablespoon.

milk_lover

Gelatin is in almost everything these days, and I don't think it's feasible for me to be so strict with my vegetarianism that I avoid gelatin, so I excuse myself for eating it. And no, I don't eat seafood.
understood.
Full-fat milk has about 6% PUFA according to cronometer (I am assuming they're talking about commercial milk) so it is not the worst thing. Maybe try to find organic full-fat milk?

mt_dreams

are you looking to up your calories with sugar or fat?

if it's sugar, adding plain sugar to your milk will work. you can also make white rice if you tolerate starch. if you're too lazy to do the 3-5 min of prep, you can get a rice cooker so you always have some on hand. you liquid level is already high, so the best fruit sugar option would be dates. honey, maple syrup, etc will also work.

if it's fat, the obvious choices are butter/cream or coconut oil. you can buy real whipping cream and add it to the milk, or oj (you will need to add baking soda first to prevent curdling). if you can find grass fed cream, it would be the best choice for dairy fat, just ahead of grass fed butter. I'm not a fan of soy/canola fed dairy fat, for the same reason you mentioned. I get most of my fats either with my starch meal, or as desserts. ice cream, panna cotta, chocolate cream cheese balls are just a few examples of desserts.

since you're already getting roughly 30% of your calories from fat, I would up the sugar just as much, if not more, than fat.

Jayfish

Peat himself eats meat daily. Not sure why people avoid meat. Try a half lb of gelatinous meat a day or similar amount of seafood. Heck even a pack of bacon refried in coconut oil once in awhile I'd a great meal.

tara

Some higher calorie density options:
condensed milk
dried fruit
honey
homemade farmer's cheese
made into baked cheesecake with the addition of egg, sugar, lemon juice
add a bit of sucrose or honey to juice and/or milk if it tastes good to you
smoothies with milk, fruit, cream or ice cream, added sucrose to taste
fruit salad with extra sugar and cream
stewed fruit with extra sucrose - can add gelatin and make it into jelly
marmalade
milk pudding made with milk, sugar, gelatin, and flavour of choice - eg chocolate, vanilla, lemon
a bit of chocolate
learn to make fudge
check out the recipe section for brownies

If starchy foods don't cause you trouble, you could include some
get organised and boil spuds when you happen to be around home anyway
coconut oil baked potato chips ('fries')
scalloped potatoes with cheese on top
rice
rice with cooked veges/mushrooms/eggs
rice with chopped oranges or fruit salad and cream
rice pudding
custard

Jayfish

Be careful with using dried fruit as a big calorie source. It seems to cause digestive issues for a lot of people.

tara

Be careful with using dried fruit as a big calorie source. It seems to cause digestive issues for a lot of people.
Yeah, that's a risk.
Anything you try is worth watching to see if it bothers you. For me, dried fruit is good in smallish quantities, but not as a major staple.

WestCoaster

Full Fat Milk + Full Fat Chocolate milk (if you can find it) +Ice Cream + Peanut Butter + Protein Powder = a huge calorie bomb, and a tasty one at that.

Blend about as much whole milk, chocolate milk, and ice cream as you think you can fit inside your blender before it overflows, add the rest of the ingredients and voila, you can push a 1500-2000 calorie milkshake easily. I know PB isn't exactly peaty so for those of you whom are more strict, throw in some coconut oil, honey and a tad more protein powder, and your set.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals