Is Raw Milk Expensive ?

DMF

What can one expect to pay, say, per gallon?
Do you drive all the way out to the "farm" where you get it - do you have it delivered -
any additional costs - taxes, etc?
I'm without a car - so there's this "co-op" nearby that supposedly takes orders for pick-up.

aniciete

Price mostly depends on what state you’re in. Ive seen states like California and Oregon charging more than $15 per gallon.

konatowntom

Here it is sold by the local farms for either $5 or $6 for a half gallon with a deposit for the glass bottle.

konatowntom

The only raw milk that I would drink would be from grass fed cows, sorry that I didn't specific, so $5 - $6 per half gallon with glass deposit.

Jennifer

In New Hampshire, I pay $14 per gallon of goat’s milk and $12 per gallon of A2 certified cow’s milk from a biodynamic, 100% grass-based farm that practices calf at foot—I buy it directly from the farm. In the store, raw cow’s milk from a 100% grass-based farm costs $14 per gallon and $16 for A2 certified from another 100% grass-based farm.

John mcclain

Organic raw milk in ireland is €3 a litre...which is about 3times the price of normal milk

OP
D

DMF

Price mostly depends on what state you’re in. Ive seen states like California and Oregon charging more than $15 per gallon.
I'm in Chicago.
There are farms in the outlying counties/communities.
'Guess I'll contact them. though 10 - 15$$ per gallon better be worth it (true Yuppie food) not to mention delivery costs.

Sphagnum

I’m in Southeastern PA (Philadelphia) and there are 3 main “local” websites to order from.
Raw grass fed A2 is 10.50-11.50 per gallon
Delivery fees to my house are about $10 at best. I could drive out to a pickup or co-op, but the savings are at most $2-3 total (factoring in gas) and it’s a 5 hour round trip, so not worth it to pick up.
Right now I order 2 weeks worth of milk at a time to save on delivery fees, without any freshness issues. Nothing has been remotely off and I could maybe push it to 3 weeks worth, but I don’t have the space in the refrigerator.

All said and done, it’s about $12.17 per gallon

IT'S OVER

In Bostil its about the same price as the pasteurized milk, even a little cheaper some times. Some farmers delivery some others not. A2 milk is rare around here, but its aways grassfeed.

Gânico

In Bostil its about the same price as the pasteurized milk, even a little cheaper some times. Some farmers delivery some others not. A2 milk is rare around here, but its aways grassfeed.
Hahahah, i'm from bostil as well, farmer delivery it here in glass containers, 3 reais 2 litros. Pretty good.

Nebula

At health food co-ops in my area it’s $10-11 per gallon. But there’s a Mennonite family small farm that delivers theirs to drop off locations for $6. They also sell entire gallons of raw cream and it’s amazing stuff.The smaller the herd the better imo. Usually the more pasture and the less stress the animals have, the better intact the herd’s families are. Ruminants are extremely family oriented along the matriarchal line and much happier and healthier if their mom, aunts and even grandma are around. They also love their dad when they are young. My brothers new born calf can’t get enough of the bull her dad. She loves always being near him. Maybe it can’t quite be quantified but I think all these subtle factors probably matter a lot in milk and meat quality.

Jam

Raw cow's milk is cheaper here than anything but industrial skimmed UHT milk. 1€ a liter if you bring your own containers.

Sphagnum

I just found a new connection for raw milk that took me down from $12/gallon to $8/gallon delivered. It sells $5/gallon at the farm but with gas prices and distance I’m better off with delivery unless I stock heavy.
$5 is pretty much in line with grocery store prices here so it’s good to see the market growing and prices coming down to reasonable costs

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals