Of raw milk and swimming

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Health Discussions' started by BingDing, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BingDing

BingDing Member

This guy is a Mennonite dairy farmer in PA, and a pretty engaging writer, IMO. The article is here. There's a link to the rest of the site.

His writeup about his (almost) all milk weight loss diet has references to two doctors from 100 years ago that promoted all milk diets for healing all kinds of illnesses, apparently with success.

The FAQs about testing raw milk in PA is pretty interesting. Raw milk is five times cleaner than milk sent to the pasteurizer and his farm tests a lot more than the state requires.

I know RP says grass fed is more important than raw and compared to the SAD (Silly Ass Diet) of modern America that is probably true. But it seems to me that raw has some health benefits if you can get it.

2. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Very cool, thank you for posting! Going to check out the rest of his site.

3. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

4. kiran

kiran Member

I think the point is that it's probably better to use our own enzymes as opposed to relying on the bovine version. Unless you're sick and are deficient, of course.

5. OP
    BingDing

BingDing Member

That's an interesting way to phrase it, kiran. If someone has all the enzymes needed to handle pasteurized milk why would drinking raw milk be relying on the milk's enzymes. One's own enzymes wouldn't suddenly decrease or become ineffective. Wouldn't it be synergistic?

And I don't mean to limit the list of testable enzymes as the definitive reason for using raw milk. The list is more exemplary than anything, there are likely other beneficial proteins that get denatured by pasteurizing. If I'm willing to accept a very small risk of illness, I can avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater by not throwing the bathwater out at all! I think that would make the baby happy :):

6. kiran

kiran Member

There should be no problem, but why expose yourself to the possibility of infection?
    Besides, the bathwater is dirty and you want to throw it out. :P

7. kiran

kiran Member

Plus, we don't really know about the potential negative effects of say bovine enzymes. Although mammalian enzymes are probably not as bad as plant enzymes, why would you want to expose yourself to them unnecessarily?

8. Jenn

Jenn Member

Because the enzymes in the milk are perfectly balanced and take a load off the pancreas for that meal.

9. saul42

saul42 Member

I have had raw milk and pasteurized milk in the US and sincerely cannot say i felt any difference, though i would say the raw milk tasted possibly a little better because it was fattier. However When i compare raw milk that I have drunk overseas to the raw milk in the US (grass fed) the difference is day and night.

So I do not know what gives.

10. Mittir

Mittir Member

RP has mentioned in an interview that production of pancreatic enzyme is
    not a stress on pancreas. There is no advantage in eating raw foods or taking enzyme supplement
    to relieve "stress" on pancreas. He mentioned that in Josh Rubin's final Q and A interview with RP.
    RP also mentioned in another interview that raw milk has some extra benefits
    over pasteurized milk. He also mentioned that hypothyroid people have problem
    adjusting to extra bacterias in raw milk.

Chris Masterjohn, PhD has two articles on raw milk's special benefits.
    Ray Peat has said good things about Chris Masterjohn's articles on cholesterol.

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/2010/ ... utathione/
    http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... st-asthma/