Is it a male thing?

leo

I don't want to rant and rave per se. And I don't want to offend the male population at all....I know many decent, well behaved, humble, and super intelligent ones. Those that are very in touch with their feminine side and know how to treat women/children/elderly. The quiet giant types.

However.

Mass shootings. Fundamentalist radical muslims. College fraternity vandalism. Murder/rape crime in general.

And.....aggressive posters on forums.

Since I started here, I have been reading old posts...the good , the bad and the ugly. Certain posters stand out because 1. they are quick to answer and often and 2., some are very quick tempered if their opinion is refuted or confronted, or oh my god no....ignored. I have read some heated exchanges and people being banned. I admit there was one female who was banned who I believe had serious problems and just fed on the controversy. Young females can be horrific bullies, especially in middle school. (hormone imbalance?) But other than that so far (and I have not read it all) it primarily seems to be a male thing.

Despite the talk of over consumption/exposure of estrogen causing everything from weakened males to homosexuality etc., I believe there may be an overload of testosterone in some.

I must say that it is not only here, but on other forums that I have visited where I see this. I have exited some due to the ugly debates that start....I never participate as I am too old for that. I feel I have lived the years that these young, sometimes know-it-alls have lived, and soon enough they will either have to learn how to chill, or be permanently medicated as they will soon discover their ways will not jive in healthy relationships.

There are different types of intelligence. Knowing a lot about healthy nutrition is good, but it does not make you a rocket scientist. Knowing how to function in society without alienating other people is a wonderful form of intelligence.

Also, this is good for everyone, not just the aggressive. Late in life, or at the end of your years, people may not remember what you said, what you knew, how you looked....but they will remember how you made them feel.

J

j.

I think aggressiveness can also be a factor of personality or culture that can stay constant even with hormonal changes. This doesn't mean there aren't attributes, including aggressiveness in some contexts, that are shaped by hormones.

Women are weaker physically and don't focus on hurting others physically. So if they want to hurt somebody, they use emotional manipulation or deceit, so female aggression is often a lot more subtle and even invisible to those not receiving it.

OP
L

leo

This is true.

But with emotional manipulation, the other person does not usually end up dead.

You cannot argue that the mass murders, rapes, suicide bombers are done primarily by males and most times people end up losing their lives. The degree of male aggression on boards does not end up with someone dead, but I wonder how these people function in the real world, if they cannot contain their emotions on the internet.

On the other hand, an emotionally manipulative or deceiving female usually just ends up alienating anyone intelligent enough to notice it.

J

j.

leo said:
The degree of male aggression on boards does not end up with someone dead, but I wonder how these people function in the real world, if they cannot contain their emotions on the internet.

A lot of people are very aggressive in video games, kill a lot of people there, and lead perfectly normal lives. Not everyone takes internet forums seriously.

Also, not everyone thinks "containing one's emotions" is good. I personally think people contain their emotions too much and typically they should be more openly aggressive.

And a lot of people don't give a damn about what others, especially strangers, think about them.

jyb

leo said:
Despite the talk of over consumption/exposure of estrogen causing everything from weakened males to homosexuality etc., I believe there may be an overload of testosterone in some.

Estrogen and low thyroid can make males stressed and aggressive too, I don't see why it would be testosterone. In fact, because of the loads of estrogenic compounds we are now exposed to, it seems normal to talk about estrogen.

Dewitt

As far as I know, there is no evidence that testosterone causes aggression. But there is a lot of evidence that estrogen does so, albeit in the form of animal studies.

OP
L

leo

A normal life killing people on video games does not necessarily mean a healthy life, and I guess it comes down to the "degree" with which one contains their emotions. Everyone running around yelling at everyone all the time is not good in a civilized society and there has to be some level of constraint. But yes, to suppress anger could lead to emotional problems.

I live in a latina culture where we do not experience puritanical repression....people are very open and I agree with you...that some cultures are too repressed and politically correct. Sometimes passion is good...but never, I feel, when there is violence as a result.

I also do not really care what people on the internet think of me...in theory, I mean how will that really change my life .......but I do try not to be callous to the human condition. Internet forums are people. People are of this universe and we form a part of that. In hurting others you hurt yourself. Basic karma.

I do not feel you can eat your way into being a kind and respectful human being, no matter how many health forums you inhabit. Ultimately it is the body that turns to dust, and the spirit which moves on. Maybe we are wise to nourish the spirit more?

OP
L

leo

Dewitt then I stand corrected! Maybe it is too much estrogen then?

OP
L

leo

I have never been overly aggressive, but when I was younger and estrogen dominant, I was more so than I am now. Menopause is the ultimate chill pill.

So yes, estrogen may be the culprit in men too.

OP
L

leo

An old dhea pamphlet I have says to be careful in not taking too much dhea as it may convert to testosterone which can in some people cause aggression, acne, sebum excess.

jb4566

leo said:
I do not feel you can eat your way into being a kind and respectful human being, no matter how many health forums you inhabit. Ultimately it is the body that turns to dust, and the spirit which moves on. Maybe we are wise to nourish the spirit more?

Not sure about this, personally I was a lot more aggressive and disrespectful when I was eating a poor diet and hypothyroid.

SaltGirl

I can say this: When I was taking high estrogen(and not eating enough protein) I became incredibly antisocial and almost wanted to rip the head off anyone who dared talk to me. Then, when I got progesterone, I balanced out a lot. I also started following Peat eating and my mood leveled substantially.

The interesting thing is that whenever my aggression was high it was almost guaranteed that my estrogen levels were high in blood tests. Two times when I almost exploded in rage(and ruined childhood friendship) my estrogen levels were twice that of the normal levels in natal women.

Curt :-)

Testosterone chills men out for sure. I've experienced it myself (yes, I had blood work). The test = aggression thing is just plain false. I think people argue mostly out of ego, not because of any hormonal issue.

Also, just want to state that the video game thing is kind of neg. Generally, if a game involves killing other characters, it's a requirement to move forward with the objective/plot, not just shooting people just for laughs. No one plays a game without the intention of finishing/beating it.

gretchen

Actually, you guys should go over to some of the girls forums, like skin care and beauty type sites; many are filled with psychos.

SG, taking estrogen was a total nightmare for me also, the worst years of my life. This diet is such a god send for that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals